Smith exits via Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like bit of a dick move, but will hold my judgement till we hear the reasons.

Nevertheless a great player for us. Just a shame it had to end like this.

Look for a positive in this guys, they are losing Jordan Clark and Constable because of this and getting another 32 year old Higgins.

I wonder if we're looking at Constable?

Maybe something happening behind the scenes, with Isaac going there?

You would think we would have a fair bit of salary cap space now. With reduced lists and the club looking to re-build do you really want to be offering a 32 year old a 2 year deal? If geelong don't win the flag next year they will be in trouble with guys like Smith and Shaun Higgins who are definitely past their best. I would now be targeting Jordan clark from Geelong.
Not too fussed about Issac- He was always a better player when he was playing in a strong team.
If we lost Gunston- I'd be devastated.

Blokes head to Geelong for the lifestyle, Melbourne is slowly becoming a sh!thole and country kids like Isaac want their old creature comforts.
Jeremy Cameron another.

As one radio station said, you set up a team near the Mornington Peninsula and see how many blokes will lob at that club.

Hell, Richmond has about 5 blokes living in Torquay.
I was out and about around Melbourne over the last two days and I was just noticing how much of a NON-shithole it is.

I think the issue here is that brainless dribbling deadshits like Tim Smith and Avi Yemini are telling you it's 'becoming a shithole' and you are believing it, despite what the reality is...

You would think we would have a fair bit of salary cap space now. With reduced lists and the club looking to re-build do you really want to be offering a 32 year old a 2 year deal? If geelong don't win the flag next year they will be in trouble with guys like Smith and Shaun Higgins who are definitely past their best. I would now be targeting Jordan clark from Geelong.
Not too fussed about Issac- He was always a better player when he was playing in a strong team.
If we lost Gunston- I'd be devastated.
I mean, we did though? We offered him 2 with a trigger for a 3rd the same as Geelong did because we panicked. If you believe reports we then offered him even more money in the last 48 hours because we were freaking out.

I was out and about around Melbourne over the last two days and I was just noticing how much of a NON-shithole it is.

I think the issue here is that brainless dribbling deadshits like Tim Smith and Avi Yemini are telling you it's 'becoming a shithole' and you are believing it, despite what the reality is...

It's not a shithole. It's a long way from that.

It's not what it was, but it's not bad.

Doesn't have the surf beach though, and open space. The great Ocean road area is pretty good for that stuff.

I hope he enjoy's the thunderous boo's when he fronts at the G against us.
Yes understand Higgins chasing a flag,but what's the difference at the end of the day if you've won
3 or 4. There's no more $$ on offer and you'd swap being a one club loved great player versus
a grubby traitor..... Unless they get a new coach he isn't winning anymore flags!

What's more likely - Smith has fallen out of favour with some at the club (despite being named in the leadership group), OR his performances just weren't that good.

Like I said, given Stratton was top 10 B&F in 2019, I don't see B&F placement as the gold standard of performance over the season. Smith was asked to play a slightly different role in 2019 due to Mitchell's absence, and did ok at it.

This is the danger with just looking at the stats. While his disposal numbers were consistent with prior years, from what I saw he regularly missed easy targets (a lot of the time within 20-30m) and didn't have any real impact on games (IMO).

That's the danger of not looking at stats, you form a subjective opinion on his disposal efficiency. The numbers show no such increase in missing targets. He ended up having to take more responsibility on delivering inside 50 in 2019 (more so than any other year in his career), and our forward line was stagnant and non functional for a big patch of the season - that doesn't make it easy to pick out easy targets to deliver to, so I can see how you might think he wasn't picking out targets like he was during the 3-peat.

My memory of Smith in 2019 is that he stepped up big time later in the season, and was an absolute work horse who had a lot to do with our form turnaround in the second half of the year. Should have replaced Stratton in the B&F top 10 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh. We happily accepted Lake across at the end of his career, so we shouldn't begrudge Omith from having a final crack at another flag.

I don't think the Cats are a chance of winning another one anytime soon though.

Just remembered why I don't really look at Bigfooty that much anymore, footy fans are children.

tenor.gif

Just pissed that if he had notions of wanting more success or money etc.
Why didn't he ask for that trade last year to the Dogs lose him for nada now!

Like I said, given Stratton was top 10 B&F in 2019, I don't see B&F placement as the gold standard of performance over the season. Smith was asked to play a slightly different role in 2019 due to Mitchell's absence, and did ok at it.

That's the danger of not looking at stats, you form a subjective opinion on his disposal efficiency. The numbers show no such increase in missing targets. He ended up having to take more responsibility on delivering inside 50 in 2019 (more so than any other year in his career), and our forward line was stagnant and non functional for a big patch of the season - that doesn't make it easy to pick out easy targets to deliver to, so I can see how you might think he wasn't picking out targets like he was during the 3-peat.

My memory of Smith in 2019 is that he stepped up big time later in the season, and was an absolute work horse who had a lot to do with our form turnaround in the second half of the year. Should have replaced Stratton in the B&F top 10 IMO.

the coaches would generally have a better idea of players' roles on game day and how the perform their role, regardless of a supporter's perceived lack of influence or negative output

i have no problem with stratts being top 10 in the BnF last year if he was generally a solid performer in the roles that was asked of him, even if his basic skill level (which is what us fans noticed and deride) had declined. this year it unfortunately declined to such a point that his usual miserly positives were outweighed by his complete loss of skill and athleticism

izzie is always going to look good to a fan (and even a neutral) — dashing, pretty quick, gains a lot of meters with long kicks, can break the lines and kicks goals

but if he isn't ranking top 10 in BnF it probably means that he isn't doing his role as well as he could be, which i would guess is more important to our success than having a good personal game (though i'm not 100% sure on this). of course the coaches could also have gotten it wrong because i thought he was quite good in 19, but again i think there's a lot of intangibles and micro-defensive/offensive off-ball decision making that we simply can't notice

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith exits via Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back