Autopsy So so so close (Please read OP)

Is it time to move on and lock the thread?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaming the umpires is ridiculous.
They made some howlers against us but there were so many free kicks that weren't awarded to WC as well.
Multiple times I saw our players get given way too long to dispose of the ball, there were numerous times we clearly pushed WC players in the back and a free wasn't awarded etc etc.
For every shitty decision we can mention WC can counter with one as well.

They were the better team and deserved the win.
It sucks but that's the facts.
I agree with this and have stood by this position all through the game but the fact that both sets of supporters can point to so many instances where the umpires made blatantly incorrect decisions says to me that there is a huge need for the AFL to sort the umpiring debacle out. No game should have such an appalling showing from the officials, let alone the game’s centrepiece. It was a complete joke and inconsistent standards applied from start to finish.

This is exactly how I see it. For me this just doesn't hurt as bad as '11 - just felt like we were the best team all year, we were up in the gf and then it all just fell to pieces. The draw in '10 was also pretty sickening as well.
I see it differently.

Today was more painful than 2011. Obviously 2011 hurt but having won the flag in 2010, clearly lost by 38 points to Geelong and confident we would back up the year later, I wasn't that deflated at the time.

Today is a little like 2002. A team who had been in the wilderness for a few years surges up the ladder and makes a Grand Final unexpectedly before falling just short in the end.

This is exactly how I see it. For me this just doesn't hurt as bad as '11 - just felt like we were the best team all year, we were up in the gf and then it all just fell to pieces. The draw in '10 was also pretty sickening as well. On balance we were pretty lucky to get to the last game and then lucky to be in it so long (63 inside 50's to 48) - the fact that despite all that we could have won it makes it hurt enough though. And really, f*** me, as a Collingwood supporter how many losing gf's do you have watch.
I'm on 8 at the moment.
In most of them, we didn't have the side to win it and the reasons for that were varied.

Blaming the umpires is ridiculous.
They made some howlers against us but there were so many free kicks that weren't awarded to WC as well.
Multiple times I saw our players get given way too long to dispose of the ball, there were numerous times we clearly pushed WC players in the back and a free wasn't awarded etc etc.
For every shitty decision we can mention WC can counter with one as well.

They were the better team and deserved the win.
It sucks but that's the facts.
I will always hate Ryan (25), he has never given us a 50/50 that he pays to the opposition. But you are right not why we lost.

We were just one tall player short (if that makes sense) either to go third man up or mark, like a fit Moore or Reid and some players played under expectation.

Kick went straight into Yeo's arms.

Woodward had zero influence on that moment.

Poor bloke.

Yeah it was a poor decision by Adams to kick there. I don't think it was Woodwards fault at all.

Even if he wasn't there Stephenson would not of impacted that contest he was miles away.
I think he would’ve got there. The unexpected change of direction caused him to have to stop, prop and then accelerate again whereas if he had a straight line run at the ball he would’ve made the drop. I don’t think he would’ve had the strength to meaningfully impact the contest though, I reckon Yeo probably competes the mark all the same. He had prime position and the strength to hold Stephenson off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel sick in the guts. Times like this I feel like giving up on footy all together. Pies have lost more GFs than we have won. This makes 45 yeah?

Even worse if we lose back to back like 2002, 2003.

It’s not that i’m Not proud of what the boys have done this year and their achievements up until today, it’s just that i’m Over losing grand finals and then thinking how long before we’re back here again? When will we win the next one?

Feels like the one that got away. 5 bloody points. That block on Maynard to win them the game was a disgrace.

Kinda like Howes clear holding the ball or Coxs head high tackle, plenty examples both ways.
Sadly we weren't the best team on the day

Firstly commiserations guys, you played a mighty game and season. I have a number of very good mates who are pies supporters and I know they are hurting badly.
No supporter can claim merit for their teams win and equallty any supportes hanging shit on you guys has no right or claim to do so either. Ignore the crap, your supporter base has been outstanding in the leas up and post game and you should hang your hats on that.
Im over the moon we got it done and very very proud of our players and you should be equaly prous of your boys even if it hurts like hell.
I think our 2 clubs have found a lot of respect for each other this year and I wish you all the best for future seasons.

I agree with this and have stood by this position all through the game but the fact that both sets of supporters can point to so many instances where the umpires made blatantly incorrect decisions says to me that there is a huge need for the AFL to sort the umpiring debacle out. No game should have such an appalling showing from the officials, let alone the game’s centrepiece. It was a complete joke and inconsistent standards applied from start to finish.
Hah. The AFL's response is to try to change rules in the middle of a season, but only for certain games, so they can confuse the situation even more! They won't do anything about the umpires, ever.

Much less for them and in the first quarter the umps kept them in it and gifted a goal and last goal to win was another gift. They have a couple missed but many paid.
We had a boat load ignored and double standards for some (Cox blocking free and Mihocheck 50).
They were throwing, dropping and getting held for days no free. Paid 2 htb against us despite the players getting a foot to it.

heck me I want to make a umpire bloopers reel of footage of both our forwards being blocked and our defenders.
Then of all the missed htb or incorrect disposals.
Then of all the holding onto our mids from behind without the ball. Just so i can prove my point...cant believe some of the shit in reading! Even neutrals I sat with were canning the umps and they typically hate us!

When I was growing up and in school I recall saying to a friend after the n'th grand final loss "I'd rather not even make the Grand Final than make it and lose".

You know what? As much as today hurts, I was wrong. You gotta be in it to win it and we almost did! Just think about supporters of teams like Melbourne and St Kilda and how much they'd kill to have a chance again.

Richmond, you were massive unbackable favorites to go back to back this year and you blew it. You seriously blew it, not us - we did amazingly well to even remotely come close to winning this year.

My passmark this year was making finals and even that was a bit of wishful thinking. The Mighty Pies exceeded my expectations and I hope we can develop further next year.

I feel sick in the guts. Times like this I feel like giving up on footy all together. Pies have lost more GFs than we have won. This makes 45 yeah?

Even worse if we lose back to back like 2002, 2003.

It’s not that i’m Not proud of what the boys have done this year and their achievements up until today, it’s just that i’m Over losing grand finals and then thinking how long before we’re back here again? When will we win the next one?

I feel the pain. But the trick is to remember that we're a great f****** football club, that we'll be back amongst it again, and that the victories will come.

It is the pain which makes the glory more glorious. 2002/2003 (oh 2003) were what made 2010 feel so good. For the Eagles today, 2015 feeds their joy in 2018. For us, 2018 will be the ecstasy for another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back