Dec 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heart
Terry Wallace coached Richmond to snag Trent Cotchin

Mark Stevens and Jon Ralph | July 21, 2009 11:37pm
FORMER coach Terry Wallace did "absolutely nothing" in a game in 2007, knowing a win would cost the Tigers prized recruit Trent Cotchin.
As the AFL continues to deny tanking exists, Wallace told the Herald Sun last night he was compromised as the Tigers took on St Kilda in Round 22, 2007.
"It was a no-win situation for everyone in the coach's box," Wallace said.
"We decided the best way to operate was just to let the players go out.
"I didn't do anything. I just let the boys play. There weren't any miracle moves in the last couple of minutes."
Richmond led by nine points 12 minutes into the final term, but the Saints kicked the last three goals to win by 10 points.

Wallace stressed he did not tank, but the comments are the biggest revelation on the subject since Tony Liberatore claimed last year Carlton threw matches to get ruckman Matthew Kreuzer.
Wallace found himself in the insidious position of knowing the Tigers needed a loss more than a victory in the MCG clash.
Aware the club would be rewarded with Cotchin and a priority pick if it finished last, Wallace barely made a move.
But Wallace said the Tigers would not have come back from six goals down earlier in the match if he had been hell-bent on tanking.

Instead, he let the match take its natural course.
While his moves did not cost the Tigers the game, he did not make moves to win it either.
A reluctant Wallace did not want to comment on possible solutions or fuel the tanking debate, but said he could not "shy away" from the scenario he was thrust into.
The issue is set to be a topic of discussion at the AFL Coaches Association's October meeting, with coaches under increasing scrutiny for list management methods.
The confirmation of Wallace's "non-actions" came as Geelong coach Mark Thompson called on the AFL to consider changing its priority pick system if West Coast can win a premiership, then receive a priority pick within two years.

The Eagles' poor 2008 season gave them a priority pick at the start of the draft's second round last year, and if they don't win another game this season, they will be handed a prized choice before the first round.

Three other clubs -- Fremantle, Melbourne and Richmond -- are also in the running for priority picks this year, provided they don't win more than four games. The tanking speculation continues to undermine the competition's integrity, but AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou was emphatic on the weekend there would be no change to the system.

But Thompson told the Herald Sun the league should keep its options open.

"The league needs to keep an open mind to change things based on current circumstances such as new teams joining and teams such as West Coast going from Grand Finals to priority pick eligibility in a short space of time," he said.

I wouldn't call that tanking. It was one game in which the coach sat back and did nothing and funnily enough, there was no effect on how the players played.

I wouldn't call that tanking. It was one game in which the coach sat back and did nothing and funnily enough, there was no effect on how the players played.

Was it only one game that wallace did nothing in? I'd hazard a guess that he did nothing for around 100 games.

The sooner that spin-doctor falls out of favour in the media the better.

Yeah Wallace admited this a few weeks ago on game day with a smug TW smirk.

Call it tanking, call it manipulating the rules, call it doing nothing -its still cheating in my books.

It may have been a great coup for TW to get Cotchin but at the moment it's starting to look like the kid is always going to struggle with the archillies injury.

Karma?

We played pretty well that considering the horror year it was. Maybe Terry should have sat back and let the players play more often. :thumbsu:

Too true. :thumbsu:
Like letting a horse go in the back straight.
Let instinct take over and it was one of our best games for the year.
Puts a lot of merit into the argument that he over coached and the game plan was too complicated.

I hoipe the board comes out and states whether they had prior knowledge of this - you would think they would, since the primary aim of the football departm,ent is to 'win games'. If this was not the case, they must have had the OK from higher-up.

If so, I won't be voting for this board at the next election.

Does put the club in a bad light and Terry obviously just couldn't mouth shut for the $$$... again. He knew it would be bad publicity for the club but he doesn't care.

A number of a clubs are tanking right now anyways including us. Not a new concept but Demetriou is either toeing the company line or he just has no idea. Imagine if he came out and hit us with draft penalties or something just because our ex-coach can't keep his mouth shut.

Regardless, it's smart thinking by the club to take advantage of the system instead of just keeping their pride while others race to P.P's. I know I would rather a half fit Cotchin over Masten who can't kick. Pity we spent one of our 2nd round picks on a girl with a shit mustache.

A number of a clubs are tanking right now anyways including us. Not a new concept but Demetriou is either toeing the company line or he just has no idea. Imagine if he came out and hit us with draft penalties or something just because our ex-coach can't keep his mouth shut.

Would certainly make clubs think twice before doing it again. Can't imagine how many on this board would have laughed at Carltons punnishment for cheating. Why should we be any different?

For what it's worth I don't think we are tanking this year, we are just shit.

Precisely why the priority pick should be abolished. Thank god the GC17 are coming in and hogging most of the top picks after this season. Teams like Melbourne and Carlton have been deliberately scraping the bottom of the ladder just to pick up these "wonder" kids like Watts.

You know tanking is strife when fans talk about who their next big signing is more than they do about their next win. That's not an attack at only Richmond ... 4 other teams are in the same boat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RALMOOOOO @ tanking Terry

In front deep into the last against a top four aspirant and we won 4 games for the year . Nearly won the game

Maybe it says something about your coaching Terry :p

What a P1sser

He certainly is quite the tool coming out and stating it ... trying to be footy`s deryn hinch .

AAAhhh plough , if only we knew then ... what we know now

This is short selling St.Kilda a little bit isn't it.

They were a good side that year and we were not.

It was Gehrig's last game (although he did make a comeback) and they had plenty to play for.

We have been run over plenty of times in the past before.

It's a non issue - just a media whore looking for more publicity.

Would certainly make clubs think twice before doing it again. Can't imagine how many on this board would have laughed at Carltons punnishment for cheating. Why should we be any different?

Except for the fact we didn't make secret payments to players under the table and breach the salary cap? That's maybe how it's a little different. If you want to call tanking cheat then that's up to you but really it's just taking advantage of the system while it's still in place.

Is anyone else pissed that Terry forever tainted our clubs history by handing us the spoon, the ultimate embarrasement in footy? This man has no shame and no soul.

Didnt wallace name Ottens a 'mercernary' for taking cash and moving to the cats?
Now for some cash and an interview, he makes these statements?
Sounds a bit like the Pot calling the kettle 'tank'.

Is anyone else pissed that Terry forever tainted our clubs history by handing us the spoon, the ultimate embarrasement in footy? This man has no shame and no soul.

Actually I am pissed off - haven't had a drink yet this morning so not yet pissed.

Sorry i just hate Americanisms creeping into our language.

God I wish Terry would just STFU & just drift off somewhere!

(Though we all knew that this would not happen... his Magical Mystery Farewell Tour in that final week... with the obvious focusing all of the media attention on himself clearly demonstrated his agenda)

It's like we finally worked him out, got an AVO out against him to piss him off but now he is taking pot shots at us from just beyond the 5 mile limit!

The way he has just switched off his Yellow & Black Tiger switch after being with us for 4 & a half years is infuriating!

This is of course until Lids, Bling, Cotch and some other younger guns actually lead us to some success in a few years in which case Terry will be letting everyone know it was his masterful recruiting that built the foundation!

(Not that he has any final say on recruiting apparently! :rolleyes:)

**** OFF TERRY WALLACE!!
What this ass won't say for a buck? :rolleyes:

So you didn't do anything for the remaining minutes?
What were we paying you for?
Go through this ****wit's contract again and find where it says he can do nothing for all the money we threw at him.
Sue his ass!

He is the lowest form of AFL Life.
Hope the media gets sick of him real quick.

Next week he'll say,
The toilets weren't 'nice' at the RFC.
The coffee was cold at the RFC.
The offices weren't set at the right temperature.
He didn't like the colours yellow and black.
The grass wasn't green enough at Punt Road.

**** OFF WALLACE!!!

I know for a fact.....that everyone at Punt Road is glad to see the back of your head!!!

:mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

so, we tanked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back