Analysis So what did Brisbane change to turn around their player retention issues?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not so long ago, Brisbane was seen as a basket case, where no one wanted to play their football at.
It all climaxed with the walk away 5, but since then they have kept their draftees and have attracted top line players from interstate. Lachie Neale, Danaher, Charlie Cameron, Dane Beams to name a few.

What did the club do to turn it around? It's been a masterpiece of off field changes, which has now led to on field success.

Whatever they did, other clubs should be taking note.

Rumours at the time were they weren't happy with the Lions senior leadership (Rockliff's name in particular was doing the rounds).

Not helped when Pearce Hanley tweeted this after they left

So maybe cultural? It did seem more than coincidental that the likes of Rockliff, Hanley and others were move on over the next few years.

Last edited:
One thing I recall was I think they were finally able to convince the AFL to help out with getting their training facilities up to standard when those players left.
Couple that with having a nurturing father figure type coach and also some canny recruiting (eg. Trading in McCarthy as he was a good mate of Neale's, picking Berry and McCluggage in the same draft as they played for same junior team, etc).

Last edited:

I remember stories about Tom Rockliff doing all kinds of bullying abusive shit to new recruits and young players as some sort of misguided 'hazing' exercise.

Getting rid of him and a couple of other nuffnuffs seems to have improved their culture out of sight.

I remember stories about Tom Rockliff doing all kinds of bullying abusive shit to new recruits and young players as some sort of misguided 'hazing' exercise.

Getting rid of him and a couple of other nuffnuffs seems to have improved their culture out of sight.

Hazing is such a stupid thing to do in a football club. You want these players to stay, to make your team better and if all you are doing is convincing them to leave as soon as they can you are only hurting yourself by making the team you are in worse.

One thing I recall was I think they were finally able to convince the AFL to help out with getting their training facilities up to standard when those players left.
Couple that with having a nurturing father figure type coach and also some canny recruiting (eg. Trading McCarthy was as he was a good mate of Neales, picking Berry and McCluggage in the same draft as they played for same junior team, etc).
There was a fair bit around picking mates as well as focussing on country kids who were more accepting of moving away to play.

Also focused on some other strengths:
  • large focus on the academies so that there was a larger proportion of local kids - having local kids that have local friends including local girls to introduce to those new kids to the area
  • a highly successful medical group that have rehabbed guys that were chronically injured (McCarthy, Daniher, Adams)
  • guys who want to get out of the football bubble (Daniher)

Changed the coach/captain, new board and hired the right people to replace them all. Slowly but surely through drafting, free agency & trading we got more good eggs in and it snowballs from there.

That's the TLDR version at least.

There was a fair bit around picking mates as well as focussing on country kids who were more accepting of moving away to play.

Also focused on some other strengths:
  • large focus on the academies so that there was a larger proportion of local kids - having local kids that have local friends including local girls to introduce to those new kids to the area
  • a highly successful medical group that have rehabbed guys that were chronically injured (McCarthy, Daniher, Adams)
  • guys who want to get out of the football bubble (Daniher)

Small point and I don’t want to pick on your overall post, which is good.

But it shits me when Brisbane are credited with rehabbing Daniher.

He was totally rehabbed at Essendon at enormous cost and effort which included multiple surgeries, treatments and periods of rest.

He spent over a year out of the game after surgery before returning to play limited footy in late 2020 as per his recovery plan.

He then moved to Brisbane, did a full preseason, played 24 games the next year and has hardly missed a beat since.

Small point and I don’t want to pick on your overall post, which is good.

But it shits me when Brisbane are credited with rehabbing Daniher.

He was totally rehabbed at Essendon at enormous cost and effort which included multiple surgeries, treatments and periods of rest.

He spent over a year out of the game after surgery before returning to play limited footy in late 2020 as per his recovery plan.

He then moved to Brisbane, did a full preseason, played 24 games the next year and has hardly missed a beat since.
Totally fair and I wasnt 100% sure if he was fully fit or not before he came north. But its definitely part of the pitch we have been selling the last several years to players who long injury histories whether its to currently rehab them or the management of them over the rest of their career.

I remember the go home 5 which was lowest point the club has ever been in. No one wanted to play for us or be drafted by us.

Culture is the most impactful thing a club can have. We stopped drafting sooky mummies boys and started drafting hard nut country boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis So what did Brisbane change to turn around their player retention issues?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back