So where do you expect us to finish in 2004?

Remove this Banner Ad

Verdun Howell
Career: 1958 - 68 (St Kilda)
Games: 159
Goals: 55
Number: 16
Position: Full Back
Premierships: 1966

For a topic like this, you really need to analyse the competition, to see where you mark yourself. Teams that I think are better than us currently:
Brisbane-Triple Champions. Not even going to start saying we're better than these guys-we're not and saying so would be stupid and headstrong.

Port Adelaide-Chokers and roughnecks, but also a strong team and almost impossible (for us at least) to beat away. However, they are slipping, tipsters have already said they could finish anywhere from 1-8.

Essendon-Might be surprising, seeing them ranked here but I never hold high hopes coming up against these guys-away or at home. They hold the winningest record against us in the league, and you never know how they'll go. Don't take 2003 as an indicator for them this year.

Adelaide-Like their cross-town rival, always in the mix but are slipping. No idea on how they'll fare, but the fact is they managed to beat us three times last year and, like Essendon, am never confidant matching up against them.

Teams that are comparable to us, or around our mark:

Collingwood-Back-to-back Grand Finalists they may be, but the fact is the last two times we've met them, we've thumped them. Looking at their side, it is just as strong as ours. They don't have the ruck or the midfield that we do...all they have on us is a strong, settled forward line. i.e. Rocca, Tarrant.

Sydney-For no other reason than they were Preliminary finalists last year. The one strength they have on us is that nobody knows much about their list...they milked that last year. However, judging on their pre-season this year, they mightn't even make the 8 this year. On the afl.com.au poll, I put them down finishing from 13-16.

Teams we are better than:
Fremantle-Not even gonna waste your time pointing out how...you all already know. We got 9 years of dominance pointing it out.

Hawthorn: Predicted upstarts this year, but so they were last year also. Their list doesn't send chills down my spine, and whenever they play us here we always walk over them.

Richmond: Automatically pencil them in for 9th spot. They can't do anything better than that. Won't improve dramatically this year.

St. Kilda: Starting to take them more seriously now. We've never been able to dominate them like we should be able to, and anybody who remembers last years visit to the Dome should know why to expect a whole lot more from them this year. I figure them for 8th place this year. That being said, I'd take our list over theirs any day.

Geelong: A combination of St. Kilda and Sydney I see the team from Sleepy Hollow as. Finally a team going somewhere, and likewise will improve (I figure them for 9th-10th). Have a good young list with lots of potential, but still a team we can take it right up to wherever we play them.

Melbourne: Don't take our Wizard Cup defeat at their hands too seriously. Can travel well, and have no fear playing at Subi, yet they burned themself out in this pre-season. Just think back to round 6 last year to set your mind at ease if you're worried by them.

Kangaroos: IMO, the only guaranteed droppers for season 2004. Have raised hardly a finger this post-season/pre-season. They're going nowhere and they're thrilled to death about it. Won' t trouble hardly anyone, won't finish higher than the bottom quarter of the league.

Carlton: Likewise will improve slightly, and will probably win from 5-7 games this year. Have shuffled their list around something chronic, but still only slightly improved. Still need to hope for outstanding efforts from their youngsters...even more than we do. We have a man named Elliot to thank for having peace of mind when versing them nowadays.

Western Bulldogs: Did some nice recruiting over the summer and likewise will improve drastically. Just need a more consistant effort to break out of their rut, and depending on this variable could finish anywhere from 12th-16th.

Someone summed it beautifully I think before, when he/she said this year it is even more difficult than before to pick the top 8. Well, I think it is the same for the whole ladder. This season will be even closer and more engaging than past years. Hold onto your hats, people, it's gonna one hell of a ride.

Summarily, as with all teams, our final placing will depend on the injury god himself (I call him Medicor), as well as the improvement of young players, however provided we get an average balance of these things, I predict we'll finish 5th this year.

Originally posted by Monocle
This is a question for Eagles supporters only so Imperial Purple , Ripper etc. Pi.. off and let the true belivers have their say .

For me anything less than a top five finish would be very disappointing, with one finals win {at least} to our name.

People you thoughts please!!!!!!!!!!!

you obviously know very little about me if you believe that this is a thread i would contribute to.

I do not troll on this board.

A home final definitely has to be our goal this year. Its been way to long since we had one, so we should be aiming for anywhere between 1st and 6th to get there.

5th.

Re: Re: So where do you expect us to finish in 2004?

Originally posted by ImperialPurple
you obviously know very little about me if you believe that this is a thread i would contribute to.

I do not troll on this board.

as long as you say something CONSTRUCTIVE, IMO that's OK ... i'm a lover not a hater :)

on to the real stuff ...

Worse case scenario, I'd say 8th like the last few seasons ... this involves an above-average number of injuries to key players and poor form. I could not see us missing the finals, nor could I see us doing any damage.

average season - probably 4-6. Maybe win a final, lose a final type thing, although I could not see this realistically happening. I think it's a case of all or nothing in the eight. Either we don't do damage or ...

we have an excellent season where we make our mark on the finals, doesn't mean we win, but we sure as hell will be close

rant over

thegur

Interesting way of looking at it Pheret- I suppose the thing I think is difficult when analysing it that way is that its difficult to seperate being better than a team and having the wood over them or vice versa.

For example, I think Adelaide are going to struggle a bit this year- but on the other hand, they have regularly schooled us- including preseason and finals, they've won 5/5 games against us over the last year by a pretty big margin. Essendon also fit into this category- no matter where we are on the ladder compared to them, we usually struggle to beat them.

Contrast that with Collingwood or Brisbane, on the basis of last year the best two teams in the competition, but sides that we have had the wood over in recent times- has any other side won 2 out of their last 3 against the Lions?

Its a cliche that a lot of sides trot out, but on paper and at full strength, we can utterly destroy any team in the competition- we certainly don't lack for firepower. Against quality sides though, we have to show up and be on top of our game to win.

This year, I'd be pretty confident that a mostly full strength Eagle team putting in a reasonable effort would see us win comfortably at any venue against any of the Bulldogs, Hawks, Tigers, Blues, Roos, Demons and Cats.

The next tier, Collingwood, Essendon, Port, St Kilda, Adelaide and Sydney all promise to be good, tough hard contests which depend a lot on the venue- at Subiaco the odds would be in our favour, at their home venues we'll be up against it to win.

The derbies this year are going to be equally hard fought I would think- as in recent years, a win one/lose one split is probably the most likely outcome.

Brisbane, despite our strong performances in recent times, remain the benchmark of the competition. Beating them at home or away is something to be proud of.

So obviously, where we finish will depend on how well we handle the variety of opponents. In terms of where we end up on the ladder, if we win the games almost all of the games we'd be expected to win, thats about 10 wins on the board. If we split about half of the 'hard' games, then we'll have around 15 wins and be gunning for a top 4 spot.

Re: Re: Re: Re: So where do you expect us to finish in 2004?

Originally posted by Exeter
Not by me.

Nor anyone else on this board with a modicum of maturity.

Just between you, me and the rest of the board, Ripper is a big fat stupid head, and IP has cooties.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So where do you expect us to finish in 2004?

geez Mead... you told me you could keep a secret.... :p

Considering he's studying to be a lawyer, that was always going to be unlikely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So where do you expect us to finish in 2004?

Originally posted by Exeter
Considering he's studying to be a lawyer, that was always going to be unlikely

Since the landmark R v Fudgemania decision, its a long established principle that client/practitioner privilege does not extend to instances involving the spread and propagation of cooties.

Re: Re: Re: So where do you expect us to finish in 2004?

For me winning finals is the key. Making the finals is not good enough - we have to win finals. And the only way we are going to make an impact in the finals is by finishing top 4.

We have one of the top midfields and ruck divisions in the AFL. We kicked plenty of goals last year. Our defense was our weakness. Teams that win finals have a good defense.

We finished 8th last year for a reason. So, will we improve?

I believe we will. Q.Lynch will be good for us at CHB, and the rest of the defense seems more confident. Our forward line now has the talls and the smalls i.e. Matera and Sampi combining with MacDougall, Johnson and Gardiner (who will play forward a bit).

We still have a few injury concerns, which worries me. It is obvious the match committee has taken the long term view with these guys (Gasper, Glass etc). They want them playing at their best come September.

If we stay relatively injury free, the midfield plays as it did last year, and maybe even improves a little more, and our defense stands up we are top 4 material without question.

So, I hope we will finish top 2. I expect we will finish 4th.

Re: Re: So where do you expect us to finish in 2004?

-

I believe that this is exactly the type of thread you would contribute too. I for one would welcome your contribution. Including that of Moo, Dasler and even Ripper... Keep Hitman away though.... :)

I do not troll on this board. [/B]

Agreed...

My predictions:

Eagles will finish 5th. I think we are a realistic chance for top four, but I also think there are a few other sides that may be vying for top 4. I think Brisbane, Collingwood, Essendon, Port and Adelaide may fare above us.

We will lose both derbies. Cynical? Maybe....but I think Fremantle will finally turn the tide over us this year. No, they are not a better team than us, just match up better on us than most sides.

Brisbane will be our biatches again this year. We are one of the sides that know how to exploit their game. Our midfield will carve them up.

Woosha to continue the dominance he has over his Mentor Mick.

Judd to win fairest and best.
Matera to win the goalkicking.

i hope matera kicks the same amount of goals as last year but mcdoogal wins the goalkicking

Cousins will win his 4 th B & F and will also win the brownlow but Judd will be up there, second in the B & F and top 12 in brownlow.

I cant see anyone beating Cousins for the B&F....nobody has his consistency. If he can win it last year after a down year on his standards, mainly due to carrying that ankle injury of his throughout the year. Then a fully fit Cuz should have no problems with taking out his 4th straight.

Originally posted by jod23
I cant see anyone beating Cousins for the B&F....nobody has his consistency. If he can win it last year after a down year on his standards, mainly due to carrying that ankle injury of his throughout the year. Then a fully fit Cuz should have no problems with taking out his 4th straight.

I decided to go for Judd because he is leaner, fitter, stronger and has shown in pre season matches he is just ripe. Cuz will always have high standards, but I see Judd just pipping him for the award.

Remove this Banner Ad

So where do you expect us to finish in 2004?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back