So who do you want in the PSD.

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally would not touch Wilson unless i knew his speed testing results were greatly affected by his OP. You simply cannot have a halfback flanker with the lack of pace his times suggest. The limiteed footage of his pace is inconclusive.

If he was genuine KPP then you could maybe handle a lack of pace if he has smarts but he will have to play on some quicker nippy types at AFL level and his role is to stop them doing anything. I'd be worried that sides could easily expose him and then it wont matter how good a kick he is because he will be a massive liabity.

Loose man in defence maybe?

Wirra was always a bit of a liability defensively but was AA as a loose sweeper. Wilson could do something similar, like taking the kick ins and plugging holes.

Loose man in defence maybe?

Wirra was always a bit of a liability defensively but was AA as a loose sweeper. Wilson could do something similar, like taking the kick ins and plugging holes.

You cannot draft someone to be a lose man in defence. As I said, sides could easily expose him. I think his kicking is overrated around here. Yes he is a very good kick but he's not SUPER elite. Very slim body and slow. Not great combo no matter what the kick is like anyway. PSD so not costing much but I think you guys can do better.

I personally would not touch Wilson unless i knew his speed testing results were greatly affected by his OP. You simply cannot have a halfback flanker with the lack of pace his times suggest. The limiteed footage of his pace is inconclusive.

If he was genuine KPP then you could maybe handle a lack of pace if he has smarts but he will have to play on some quicker nippy types at AFL level and his role is to stop them doing anything. I'd be worried that sides could easily expose him and then it wont matter how good a kick he is because he will be a massive liabity.
So you will be happy that your clubs not picking him

Speed is not every thing, anticipation, reading the play can make up for pure speed. - Hurn is not overly quick but manages fine I leave it up to our recruiters who have done a good job so far.

So you will be happy that your clubs not picking him

Speed is not every thing, anticipation, reading the play can make up for pure speed. - Hurn is not overly quick but manages fine I leave it up to our recruiters who have done a good job so far.

Hurn's pace is actually good. Wilson tested the second worst at DC, worse than 204cm ruckman or big 100kg KPP. Hurn tested better than average, same time as someone like Marc Murphy.

Anyway, I'm not going to criticise the kid anymore because I dont mind him as a player, especially if it only costs rookie pick. I have said my piece, let your recruiters do the talking.

That would be totally dependent on form.

You would no doubt include those who struggle to hit targets down the line?

Do or do you not need skilled half back flankers? or can you throw any old arse about footballer on the back flank and get away with it?

The first part is true, the second claim is false. He's the best available player for that position/ role or he doesn't play.

Spatial awarness, game sense, strength overhead and defensivly sound. You don't doubt his value as a PSD pick but don't think he's suitable?

Id much rather go for best available in the PSD and then go for needs in the Rookie draft. Do it the other way around and your in for some trouble!

Waters - Kicking is shite but his one percenters and negative efforts are excellent.
Butler - Durability though i do rate him has a better defender than Waters and his disposal is tidy.
Jordan Jones - Strong defensivly, work in close is outstanding (midfielder). Over cooks and under cooks kicks coming out of defence.
Brennan - Real speed and ok kicking, decision making needs improving and skills refining.
Stevenson - Excellent kick but still doesn't show the physical pressence of a backmen.
Smith - See above. He's also a natural shark and probably better suited forward of centre.
Sheppard - A real dasher that id love to see moved onto a wing.

Wilson is probably a better kick than all of them and certainly better defensivly than Sheppard, Smith and Stevenson. The option of releasing Sheppard, Smith or Stevenson into space further up the ground should be looked as an attractive option and one that could really add some power to our future midfield.

I agree and i don't see any need to move Hurn out of defense. Giving a more offensive role within our structure makes sense and we will need sound defenders to take that role. It's a role i don't see Sheppard, Stevenson or Smith being capable of at this stage.

Thats a concern but he's still a better midfielder at WAFL level than a rebounding defender.

I suggest you re-visit this claim after this preseason.

Yet both have spent a fair portion of their time of the Half back flank. Infact Nicoski played that role for only a handful of games in 2010. Neither of these players are best 22 playing HBF or HFF.

It goes without saying that it should be dependent on form as to whether Wilson gets a game in 2011, although that's not quite always the case. I believe that more senior players will get the chances before he will. Wilson's form will have to be outstanding to leapfrog the more senior options, IMO. I don't foresee Wilson breaking into the side in his 1st year.

Of course I added those who aren't the best of kicks. Not having a good kick hasn't stopped WC from playing such players previously, why would that change just because Wilson is drafted. Having Stevenson on the list hasn't pushed him up the pecking order just because he's got a good kick. I reckon the same will transpire with Wilson. His good kicking won't be enough to get him games, just as it wasn't for Stevenson.

WC don't just need skilled players just as HBF's, they need skilled players across the park. If above average disposal is the first quality looked for when picking the 22 to play each week, WC's drafting, knowing that quality disposal is the most important consideration when it comes to team selection, has seemingly been below par, considering how badly the team's overall disposal skills are.
The match committee, recruiting staff and all others involved must be on differing wave lengths if disposal skills are prioritized when selecting the team each week. The recruiting staff haven't prioritized players with disposal skills when drafting. So the recruiting would be out of sync with what's required in team selection. If that's the case, WC have some major problems, as they're making conflicting decisions. So I don't think that given that WC select players each week who're considered suspect kicks, that they'll prioritize Wilson just because he's got an above average kick.

I've previously stated why I don't think he's a suitable choice. I have also previously said that other than Wilson's kicking, WC have the qualities that Wilson brings in others that could play the role that he does; that's why if he's drafted it has to be for a standout quality that others don't have, such as his kicking. If WC choose him because he's best available, or for his kicking, that's understandable, as there's reason. If WC choose him for the attributes that's shared amongst his teammates that can play his role, or because they want more HBF depth, it's a wasted pick, IMO, as WC have too many options for the HBF as it is already.
I believe that during the compromised drafts WC should be drafting for needs. No point drafting many similar types just because they're best available. WC can't fit in all the best available in the 22 if they play in similar positions. What's going to take this team forward is if WC take the best available player to fill a need. Quality depth in all positions is what WC can learn from Collingwood. An over abundance of a particular type of player, just because they were best available at draft time, doesn't help in gaining depth in all positions. A season is long and depth in all positions can make a big difference.

While you're saying that Wilson should be selected to release players like Sheppard, Smith and Stevenson up the ground to add power to the midfield, I'm saying that WC don't need Wilson to be able to achieve this. WC have other players who can play across the HBF if the coaches wanted to use the players you've named further up the ground. The implementing of this isn't dependent upon Wilson being drafted.

I'm happy with Hurn on the HBF. I'm not a fan of seeing Sheppard and Stevenson there. Smith needs to develop better defensively, but the qualities he has at the moment is a good base to turn him into a good small backman. With HFF's covering a lot of ground, I don't know if this is the go for Smith, unless he can considerably build his tank, which in that case makes him a viable option as a Wingman too. ATM, I'd be content with Smith being developed as a small backman.

JoJo, while being a better midfielder than a HBF at WAFL level, will likely have to be adaptable when playing at different grades. I think JoJo would make a decent BP. He's tall, but agile and quick enough to play on the smalls. I don't see JoJo getting any time in the WC midfield. Hence JoJo will have to find his niche elsewhere, and I believe it's as a backman; whether that's as a small, medium or 3rd tall, he's potentially able to take on one of those roles.

I may very well have to re-visit my views on Smith as a Wingman, but atm Smith doesn't seem the type, we'll see.

I'm well aware of who plays where. I was merely offering my opinion on where they should play if played. While Nicoski and Embley spent some time as a HBF's, they also spent some time as HFF's.
As I stated, they both should be well down the pecking order for those roles. I too believe that neither should be best 22.

If they were targeting him - they could have had him in the draft rather than passing

As it is they have kept a spot open for the PSD - logic suggests they would only be doing that in order to get a senior player or someone who didn't nominate for the ND

no surprise if GCS get Nathan Ablett

Hurn's pace is actually good. Wilson tested the second worst at DC, worse than 204cm ruckman or big 100kg KPP. Hurn tested better than average, same time as someone like Marc Murphy.

Not related to the topic in question, but this is the 3rd or 4th post I've read from you that seems to indicate you've somehow managed to retrieve the full draft combine results... So,

a) who'd you sleep with, and
b) could you make these available to any of us?

Cheers :)

I don't think you would take Blayne Wilson with an eye to playing him on small nippy players. I think you would play him like an Adam Hunter, as a third tall and on the shorter KP players or mid-sized forwards.

GWS has the first 8 picks, followed by GC's single selection and then WCE. So we have the 10th pick. Does Wilson training with the Eagles ensure GWS or GC won't select him with their earlier picks?
Isn't that for the rookie draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what I would not mind seeing happen.
PSD:Tyler Chalwell ,seems to be a very versatile player who can play fwd ,back and Pinch hit in the ruck.Vey neat skills and a decent motor.

Rookie draft I would like a possibility of any of these guys.
Small Fwd:Milera,Eades.
Defender:Wilson
Fwd:I.Stevens
Rookie Ruck:Luke Adams.

i'd like to think that we'd pick up houlihan with our first pick in the RD.

still think he has a lot to offer this club and i would spew if any other clubs picked him (however unlikely it may be).

Remove this Banner Ad

So who do you want in the PSD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back