So who won trade week!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Repeating something a zillion times on the net doesn't make it true. We'll never know what actually happened, but Neeld wasn't the only one at Melbourne at the time. Most people had Toumpas ahead of Wines in any case, and most Dees supporters wanted him.

GWS didn't do much better than their first three picks of that year either, two of whom are no longer at the club.

Draft: a bit of a lottery, even at the pointy end.
Yep this is how I recall it. Toumpas was a consensus top 3 pick who GWS overlooked amazingly for O'Rouke & Plowman, neither of whom are still there.

Yep this is how I recall it. Toumpas was a consensus top 3 pick who GWS overlooked amazingly for O'Rouke & Plowman, neither of whom are still there.

I guess watching Toumpas at Port over the next couple years may give a clue as to whether his issues at Melbourne have been nature or nurture.

Come on bro, you gotta be happy you won something finally :D

PS for kids growing up these days they know nothing of 25 of our spoons, but they know plenty about all yours this century. The past is irrelevant to those not there to witness it.

Will give your team credit though, is a lot harder to hit rock bottom in an 18 team competition then it ever was in a 6 team one. Heck if there were 6 teams now you would win just as many as we would ;)

Ah, so you're a kid. Explains much. I've witnessed six premierships.

I think West Coast was solid without being spectacular:

Positives
- Redden and Jetta fill needs and come into our best 22. They suit us perfectly so hopefully they can deliver.

Negatives
- lost midfield depth
- lost Sinclair (partially offset by getting Giles)
- no pick before 31.

7/10
I used to think Sinclair was good but he was so bad in that GF that I think you can now say no loss. Redden and Jetta good gets.
You are clearly going to be competing for a flag next year imo.

+ 1 Doesn't excite me at all. Ok he was in all the rep sides but so what. Tested poorly and doesnt seem to have any stand out qualities.
Oliver looks significantly better. Parish looks like someone whose reputation exceeds his actual ability. Not even sure he will make it all at AFL level.
Definitely agree. Just one of those midfielders that I honestly can't understand everyone getting so excited about. A lot like Kelly, Whitfield, Toumpas, and similar sorts. Just don't do anything that stands out, though they're not necessarily bad players (except Toumpas apparently).

Definitely agree. Just one of those midfielders that I honestly can't understand everyone getting so excited about. A lot like Kelly, Whitfield, Toumpas, and similar sorts. Just don't do anything that stands out, though they're not necessarily bad players (except Toumpas apparently).
Not sure you can really class Toumpas with Whitfield and Kelly. Pre draft hype sure but the GWS two have been light years ahead of Dmitri so far at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Freo are a clear winner for missing out on McCarthy, who they desperately wanted? I don't think so. Richmond are a winner for missing out on Treloar? I don't think so.

Collingwood packed Paul Seedsman's bags because he wasn't required. That's not a loss. You say Collingwood also lost Ben Kennedy, but Melbourne were losers for gaining him. Ummm...rightio.

Your summaries are flawed and don't really make a lot of sense.

Its difficult to mark clubs on who they missed vs what they required (becomes much more subjective). Freo could have got Mccarthy but would have paid well overs for him. Would that be a win?

My grading was simply on the actual players brought in vs what was given up.

I don't see the Pies move as a risk at all, in that Aish and Treloar are young enough to still be around for the same time frame as the guys who get drafted this year. Rather than being a risky move, I think that our trades have reduced risk. We've effectively traded 3 speculative draftees for one sure thing and one who we can be pretty confident about.

Makes sense. I just see that you have traded in expensive guys (picks + wages) without balancing the list. I'm no expert but I see the Pies biggest issues as KPs over time. So you'll have a good midfield, but need to build the spine. Drafted KP almost always take about 5 years. So given you won't have good picks for 2 years you are about 7 years from that spine. More trades/FAs could do it sooner. But whether you have the salary cap space is not clear. So what I am saying is it looks like Collingwood traded away a dgood balanced future list for immediate success through a very good midfield. May work out well, but I'm just not sold. Similarly with Geelong, but they are after an immediate result. However, I'm just a computer jockey without inside knowledge. Might be genius. Just not how I want my club to operate. I like to not overpay and to focus on a balanced list for here and the future.

Having said that I love Treloar and what he brings.

When it comes to the draft the head recruiter makes the decision in collaboration with the other recruiters. When it comes to a player already in the system, like Melksham, who played his best footy under Goodwin, then obviously the coaches would have a strong say in the trade.

It's called common sense.

Melbourne had good trade period. Only issue could be the trading of future picks. Possible that MFC rate this draft highly and prepared to roll the dice. Trading future picks are kinda knew so the confusion whether the right decisions are made.

In regards to Paul Roos I don't mean just trading of players, but also interviens in trading of Picks and even at the draft with which players get picked. But I can be wrong but I'm thinking could be because things and roles have changed of coaches back in 2000's to today. If Jake and picks 3 and 7 turn out to be very good for MFC then full credit and successful period regardless who makes the calls at Melbourne

Last edited:
I think Essendon won the trade period, providing they maximise the picks 4 and 5. They traded a spud for a decent pick and a non star with a bad attitude for a top pick. A real opportunity to set the club on the right path.
I think Port also had an underrated trade period, securing what could be the final piece in their premiership puzzle and getting Toumpas virtually risk free.

after reading all the experts on who won and who lost, it cant be determined

For Example if Carlton had done what Geelong had done and traded in mature players and lost all their Picks they would be the biggest losers in the draft, so they drafted according to their position, yet people will say Geelong did better than Carlton, I disagree.

I actually see Essendon as the biggest winners after the Carlisle scandal. They got rid of a problem swapped out a list clogger and ended up with some excellent draft picks.

Geelong, Collingwood and to a lesser extent Port got in some talent but gave away huge picks to do so, so it sort of evens out at draft time

All other clubs took a more balanced approach about getting in players but retaining something for the draft, are they the eventual winners?

One loser StKilda who got shafted by a player, or was it their own fault for not researching the player, at least Freo know what theyre getting and paid accordingly for Bennell

Aish is a spud. Jimmy Toumpas clone. I can't wait for the let down when Collingwood fans realise this and they sold pretty much 2 years worth of drafting to pick this spud up.
Even if ends up useless (which is unlikely imo), it is cancelled out by the fact we got Crisp for nothing and he has turned into a jet.

Is this a serious post? Carlton brought in guys which will ensure they will remain bottom for years.

The Pies brought in one of the best young midfielders in the league and another 19 yr old high draft pick who was exceptional in his first year. Who did they replace who were so similar? Seedsman, Kennedy?

No idea. The draft is a lottery.....and when you have one of the weakest drafts even more so.

Of the last 4 drafts, take the top 10 of each. I think you will find only about half a dozen of the 40 are exceptional. Maybe increase it to 2 dozen to include other 'good' players. Not a great strike rate.

Proven AFL players > potential AFL players.

Geelong win this trade period

Makes sense. I just see that you have traded in expensive guys (picks + wages) without balancing the list. I'm no expert but I see the Pies biggest issues as KPs over time. So you'll have a good midfield, but need to build the spine. Drafted KP almost always take about 5 years. So given you won't have good picks for 2 years you are about 7 years from that spine. More trades/FAs could do it sooner. But whether you have the salary cap space is not clear. So what I am saying is it looks like Collingwood traded away a dgood balanced future list for immediate success through a very good midfield. May work out well, but I'm just not sold. Similarly with Geelong, but they are after an immediate result. However, I'm just a computer jockey without inside knowledge. Might be genius. Just not how I want my club to operate. I like to not overpay and to focus on a balanced list for here and the future.

Having said that I love Treloar and what he brings.
If you had said this last year I would have agreed however we've lucked out a bit with a few of our young key position players. Moore has proven to be a lot better than expected but even more so has Jonothan Marsh. I still expect most opposition supporters to expect that he is a dud (because that's what he was in his draft year) but his rate of improvement since has been astonishing and after watching him in the VFL and senior game late in the season I can't see him getting dropped any time soon. As far as I'm concerned the only thing that will stop him from being at the least a quality AFL defender is injury.

We also have Frost and Keefe (who I think we will keep) as young KPB's and Brown and Reid will hopefully be around for at least the next 3-4 years. We are set for key position defenders imo.

As for forwards we are pretty light on other than Moore but Cloke isn't ancient and has a terrific injury record (also still got Reid if we choose to play him forward). I would of thought he has at least three years left. We also have a bit of a wild card which is Mason Cox. He is the tallest player in the AFL and for a bloke his height has phenonomal pace and agility. Since he kicked 5 in a quarter in VFL last season it has people wondering whether he can be our Paul Salmon.

Remove this Banner Ad

So who won trade week!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back