Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Here are a few assistant coaches going around at the moment. Plus a few others. What do you think?

• Scott Burns (Crows)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Blake Caracella (ESS)

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • Justin Leppitsch (Filth)

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Josh Fraser (Filth)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Josh Carr (Port)

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Brendon Lade (Dogs)

• Kade Simpson (Hawks)

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Nigel Lappin (Geelong)

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Dean Cox (Swans)

• Adam Yze ( Melb)

• Don Pyke

Votes: 44 23.7%
  • Chocco Williams

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Nathan Buckley

• Ken Hinkley

Votes: 18 9.7%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Stuart Dew

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Leon Cameron

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 24 12.9%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 40 21.5%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Brent Momgomery

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What is really interesting is the tactical stupidity.

You draft Mckay and Curnow who are elite KPFs. You then build a strategy around that because that is what you have and yes, they are elite players by role. So Carlton go away and build a transition plan to kick it high down the line to either Charlie or Harry.

That plan is great.

Then comes along the opposition and they go, wow, we cant stop those two elite one-on-one players, so let's play 1-2 extra to outbody/outposition/stop them.

Result. They have stopped them in the context that Charlie and Harry still kick goals but they waste 40+ entries to target for those few 3-5 goals output. That is a win now for the opposition on all the wasted inside 50 opportunities let alone the rebound goals.

Carlton's 'tactical' response. I have no idea what to do now because chalie/Harry are elite players....so, so let's go more high and down the wing and try and get more players over there to help out.

The outcome. We have smalls who play very little part in our game plan and then get called useless. We also have some tall forward targets who are very sore by seasons end from trying so hard in a pack of 4 plus trying to be superman. anyone else notice how the opposition ruckman is now always down the line when we kick it out of defence. And then there is Pitto getting in the way too. Now process Charlie's chance of taking a mark.

Anyway, lets look away now and let vossy double down on this strategy as he wont be pushed into a new way in case it looks like he has been pushed.

We have a lot of mark…stop…assess…players…which makes us slow
Also they overthink then make the wrong option , which happens cause they take too long & the defence has covered all options.
U can watch every game we play & we rarely don’t have a free player, but the option is not taken.

This is the old Clarkson strategy of taking away the risk and using the boundary line as a safety net. Issue is the game has changed and opposition find us so predictable.

Go to any game live this year and you will see the oppostion swarm to the spot they know we will kick it to. Whether it's wide down the wings or long to Harry/Charlie it's predictable and we have no answer. Never seen such stupid football and I don't understand why

This is the old Clarkson strategy of taking away the risk and using the boundary line as a safety net. Issue is the game has changed and opposition find us so predictable.

Go to any game live this year and you will see the oppostion swarm to the spot they know we will kick it to. Whether it's wide down the wings or long to Harry/Charlie it's predictable and we have no answer. Never seen such stupid football and I don't understand why
We play a standard football game style. Not only that it’s predictable it is too taxing on the players having to constantly fight for the ball in heavy congestion.

One could say it’s a game style made for Cripps. And it’s most because of Cripps that we win.

Take Cripps away or if oppo nullify him our game plan would have us languishing below top 8.

Understood, I have assumed this was a hypothetical thread and best coach for us would be Longmire hypothetically. Real world scenario, no clue I have no insights into any coaching panels bar the results driven profiles of the current senior coaches but if I can’t have Longmire I’d probably try and poach kingsley.
Kingsley according to the Prendercast was told No, because not marketable and chasing a coach not "on training wheels" using Judds words...and we hired Voss

They did offer him the senior assistant gig which he declined.

Adam Simpson is one coach who we should get in, even for short term to assist Voss. But its unlikely

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Disagree...

Everyone has the ability to change when the blow torch is applied. Cookie knows how to man manage better than anyone in the league.

I have faith that Cook gets it done and from what I hear he has already started. This has to be sorted by mid-October, complete buy in by then...
Cook is in succession planning mode.

All this should have been done in 2023.

We had a good run, but the reality is we were in dire straits mid last year with alot of the same issues... only sorted out by the player driven Camp Curnow

Won a few close games on that run, i think we had delayed pain, and even more so when little was done in exit interviews and trade period

Marchbank
Cunningham
Even fogarty were all done mid last year

Luke Power been around at Carlton a long time. In charge of development.

Slide his playing record aside, is he actually doing us any favours as a coach in that role?
Maybe time for a change

It rarely, if ever is on purpose, no matter what bullshit is spun.

At the end of 2016, Richmond admitted their rebuild was only based around making the finals, they weren't building for flag contention at all - they didn't think the supporter base had the patience for a full rebuild.

Then, bang - players hit their straps and they win 3 flags in 4 years. They never 'planned' that, they just did the best they could with what was in front of them and it all clicked in 2017 when nobody expected them to do anything, once that monkey was off that groups back nothing was stopping them.

No way Collingwood thought they would be in flag contention in 2022, they sensed the momentum and ran with it all the way until the end of 2023.

Geelong just play the numbers game and try to be in contention every year until luck falls their way & other teams drop off.

The closest thing to planned success I can think of is Hawthorn under Clarko, but even then, pinching one early in 2009 got the ball rolling for that group.

I really think if we're any hope of succeeding with this group, we need a Richmond 2017 year. They were a good H&A team who got a run on in the back end of the year, finishing 3rd. Went into every final as non-favorites, so had nothing to lose which was perfect for them - as they were mentally fragile having EF losses every year. Fair few similarities between them and us.
Hawthorn 2007 finals, and won a final with buddy dominant

Hawthorn 2008 flag.

Linear YoY improvement under clarko rebuild

Mick Malthouse strategy, actually

Slide his playing record aside, is he actually doing us any favours as a coach in that role?
Maybe time for a change

I think Power has been good. 3-4 years ago our development was a basket case. It has definitely improved.

Binns O’Keefe Moir Lord are coming on well. IMO it’s more about Voss trusting them and players being used in best roles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingsley according to the Prendercast was told No, because not marketable and chasing a coach not "on training wheels" using Judds words...and we hired Voss

They did offer him the senior assistant gig which he declined.

Adam Simpson is one coach who we should get in, even for short term to assist Voss. But its unlikely

I sort of agree with this but I also think hes received enough mentoring and its time for him to deliver success..

5-6 years head coach of brissie and 10 years under hinkely and Port have had plenty of finals footy action during his time there.

Voss now should be in a position to mentor our assistant coaches.

Hes is the leader of the coaching group.

Even if Voss is to blame... can we really let this playing group get away with killing yet ANOTHER coach?

They've done this every time it got too hard with Bolton and Teague - then the accountability goes off them with the new coach and they get the dead cat bounce sugar hit.

I'm sick of it. Tail wagging the dog nonsense.

What does this say for our culture?

No more I say. It's Voss or rebuild.

Get some more tactical nous into the coaching panel to support over the off-season.

Ride or die.

We don't need someone with tactical nous. Our system works perfectly: kick to the pocket, then kick long down the line where the opposition is already waiting—because they know our plan better than we do. Wait for the turnover, and the ball gets kicked back to a loose player as ours are out of position... rinse and repeat. Another tactic is holding onto the ball , allowing the opposition to set their defensive structures. Then, we kick a short sideways pass, hold onto the ball again, rinse repeat.... Another favourite tactic is when kicking into the forward line , kick it long into congestion or on a 3 vs one. When that doesn't work, just keep doing it —because maybe we'll get lucky. How many coaches do we have to come up with such a brilliant plan?

A few tidbits about Voss, fairly in line with what Soapy V has been saying.

Source is ok, bit of 3rd hand but thought worth sharing.

Apparently refused to listen to Russell, just absolutely flogged the players.

Doesn’t listen to Assistants either.

Was agreed at the start of the year he would stop micro managing but after 2 rounds took over again.

Extremely strong personality so is hard for Lloyd and others to manage him.

Overall he (the source) sounded pretty concerned and said Voss is under serious pressure next year. He has some inside info about Geelong and said Chris Scott was the same until Hocking came in pulled him into line.

Sounds like we need a new footy boss as I assume Lloyd has lost control a bit.

Hope we can fix it.

Was agreed at the start of the year he would stop micro managing but after 2 rounds took over again.

Overall he (the source) sounded pretty concerned and said Voss is under serious pressure next year. He has some inside info about Geelong and said Chris Scott was the same until Hocking came in pulled him into line.

Hope we can fix it.

I don’t know the Chris Scott comments or Voss being under pressure but couldn’t agree more with other comments, Been on going most of the year

As for Lloyd, I don’t know him but gives the impression of tail wagging the dog

Last edited:

Hope we can fix it.

So, it wasn't Russell's fault, it was Voss's fault

Or assistants, maybe Power, perhaps Lloyd, perhaps Cook, surely Sayers

What's interesting, 100% it's not one single player, perhaps, maybe

Not directed at you, just the contradicting information that's going around at the moment

Last edited:
It wasn’t linear, it was hockey stick. They pinched one early, when Geelong choked.

How linear were the Hawks in 2009 and 2010?
Yes but the ride from hiring clarko to rebuild to flag, was linear.

Sure they dropped back before the next run.

But, they still had YoY improvement before that first flag right?

If we are comparing to us, the 66game rebuild started 2015...

I sort of agree with this but I also think hes received enough mentoring and its time for him to deliver success..

5-6 years head coach of brissie and 10 years under hinkely and Port have had plenty of finals footy action during his time there.

Voss now should be in a position to mentor our assistant coaches.

Hes is the leader of the coaching group.
I have no argument here.

Totally agree

Maybe time for a change

Very hard to judge this year, given how few Carlton listed players he was able to coach due to injuries.

Yes but the ride from hiring clarko to rebuild to flag, was linear.

Sure they dropped back before the next run.

But, they still had YoY improvement before that first flag right?

If we are comparing to us, the 66game rebuild started 2015...

I don't get this rhetoric, have we not improved each year since 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Back