Discussion Soccer/Association Football New Kits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney FC more like Melbourne Victory with that kit.

This is the first time Sydney have worn navy shirts, yeah? They just had navy clash socks in the Cup Final, and you can see why they wanted their Sky Blue shirts then. Even though there is the sky trimming, Victory have total ownership of that look -- in a comp of just 10 teams, you shouldn't be wearing the kit of a major rival at any stage.

So this is the knock on effect of the City buy-in we knew was going to happen, diluting the existing brands; and it's going to need a better solution when Melbourne go with the 'City Blue' kits next season. Sydney will need it twice a season, and it will probably feature in a few finals to come. White won't be enough contrast, orange is all but dead, and the usual 'third kit' colours (black, grey, fluro) are naff.

If MC go with white shorts, Sydney could go with sky shorts with that navy top -- basically an inverse of the home setup.

Is Argentina's traditional away kit, royal blue, worth a shout? The monochrome version in 2010 looked nice. At least until South Melbourne get promoted...

View attachment 339753

Wasn't really sure where this one belongs (here or the KDU discussion thread) but found this advertised on Gumtree.

Personally love that logo in the middle - obviously very 90's, but IMO a cool concept for the time.
In isolation, Glory is such a shit name, but when compared to those, it's great. Perth have really owned the name though and the whole WA team thing that everything has fallen into place nicely image wise.

I remember reading about them when I saw younger as I grew up on soccer and as a Glory fan.

In fact my Heritage jersey for FLO last season was in tribute to the short lived team - although really most of them ended up as the inaugural Perth Glory squad.

Can you post a link to that jersey design?

Sydney DID wear an all sky blue ensemble not too long ago.. I can't remember who it was against.
It was against the Victory which was very odd as it was a first. Shame they ditched the orange. Would've been the perfect base for an orange 3rd kit.

v Melbourne Victory
Cheers, yep.
It was against the Victory which was very odd as it was a first. Shame they ditched the orange. Would've been the perfect base for an orange 3rd kit.
Yeah, looked quite odd. Agreed on the orange, but not sure how they would incorporate that into a kit..

Yeah, looked quite odd. Agreed on the orange, but not sure how they would incorporate that into a kit..
Only thing that is shit is that Brisbane's main colour is Orange. Perhaps if Brisbane wore their QLD jersey all the time they SFC orange would not be a problem.

Then why bring up Brisbane?
Only thing that is shit is that Brisbane's main colour is Orange.
Sydney cannot have orange now due to Brisbane. If Brisbane adopted their Maroon kit as their home, there would be not problem for Sydney to have a 3rd orange kit.

Only thing that is shit is that Brisbane's main colour is Orange. Perhaps if Brisbane wore their QLD jersey all the time they SFC orange would not be a problem.
You know that won't ever happen.. Orange is now Roar's colours. Maroon has strayed far away from their colours for a while. Even WITH this Queensland kit-gimmick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In isolation, Glory is such a shit name, but when compared to those, it's great. Perth have really owned the name though and the whole WA team thing that everything has fallen into place nicely image wise.
Glory is a crap name to be honest, and I think anything on that list would've been better.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Glory is a crap name to be honest, and I think anything on that list would've been better.

That's just my opinion anyway.

I agree that Glory by itself is a shit name but the brand has become iconic enough - like the Clippers or Knicks, they're shit names but over time they just work.

I honestly would have gone with something like the Wanderers or the Rovers to represent the travel a Perth team goes through.

I remember back in the 90s, our colours were chosen because they were so "wild and different"
They should be retained for that reason too. I remember watching a random Blur and Pavement video from the mid-1990s and the interviewer had one of the classic Chicken Treat-era strips on – the dude obviously grabbed it because what other soccer team uses colours like that? There's about three NBA teams who all want to capitalise on a similar palette.

This is the first time Sydney have worn navy shirts, yeah? They just had navy clash socks in the Cup Final, and you can see why they wanted their Sky Blue shirts then. Even though there is the sky trimming, Victory have total ownership of that look -- in a comp of just 10 teams, you shouldn't be wearing the kit of a major rival at any stage.

So this is the knock on effect of the City buy-in we knew was going to happen, diluting the existing brands; and it's going to need a better solution when Melbourne go with the 'City Blue' kits next season. Sydney will need it twice a season, and it will probably feature in a few finals to come. White won't be enough contrast, orange is all but dead, and the usual 'third kit' colours (black, grey, fluro) are naff.

If MC go with white shorts, Sydney could go with sky shorts with that navy top -- basically an inverse of the home setup.

Is Argentina's traditional away kit, royal blue, worth a shout? The monochrome version in 2010 looked nice. At least until South Melbourne get promoted...

If Glory want to faff around with two colours like the Dockers, Sydney FC should take it over.

Holland did it nearly ten years ago in one of their best strips (which is saying something) when they chucked sky blue socks into the mix. I wonder if you could integrate navy in here too? They are four complementary colours so perhaps it wouldn't look too OTT?
Netherlands+v+Italy+Group+C+Euro208+jjFMIFTQOQpl.jpg

View attachment 339753

Wasn't really sure where this one belongs (here or the KDU discussion thread) but found this advertised on Gumtree.

Personally love that logo in the middle - obviously very 90's, but IMO a cool concept for the time.

This is pretty cool, but also pretty weird -- it features Harnwell in the last NSL kit from 04, meaning it was made 8 years in retrospect. What a niche bit of memorable-labia.

I think it's revealed in the original brand press release that one of the reasons they liked 'Glory' because the O made a soccer ball, which is confirmed here. They chose the right logo, the sunburst is iconic; but there's something pretty neat about the form of the middle one. Looks less dated now, if that makes sense.

I agree with Silent Alarm about basing any new logo on the wordmark. In a league (and sport) of shields and roundels, it's unique -- and, no matter how obvious the graphic trick, it's the brand truth. The club's name, along with the colours, was deliberately disruptive of the Soccer establishment.

Obviously we have 20 years of hindsight and a generation of equity, but it was the correct name choice, too. It fulfilled the non-ethnic/egalitarian mandate, but is far more interesting and ownable than 'United' or 'City'. Yes, it's an intangible 90's moniker, but it still holds the vernacular of tradition and football (with a slight British bias, also true of Perth.)

Power, Cosmos and Spirit all followed this trail in the NSL, as did Victory (and Force in rugby), and I'd argue Glory still holds its own. Unfortunately, the club has strayed from its strong brand foundation with a woeful me-too 'badge' and gradual erosion of the orange.

Last edited:
If Glory want to faff around with two colours like the Dockers, Sydney FC should take it over.

Holland did it nearly ten years ago in one of their best strips (which is saying something) when they chucked sky blue socks into the mix. I wonder if you could integrate navy in here too? They are four complementary colours so perhaps it wouldn't look too OTT?
Netherlands+v+Italy+Group+C+Euro208+jjFMIFTQOQpl.jpg

Though orange hasn't featured in Sydney kits for 9 seasons, and now exists solely in the logo that appears set to change next year anyway, it will be interesting to see if they use it in any way to respond to Melbourne City's new coat of paint. You're right that it's a good complementary colour for light blue, hence why the logo -- though overly corporate -- is a nice composition.

I just can't see them selling many shirts that are exclusively orange for the same reason they wouldn't sell navy, Brisbane Roar own that colour. And unlike Glory's gold, orange isn't a state colour, and now has more clout in western suburbs sports with the Tigers and Giants.

A shirt with equal parts orange and navy, with sky detailing, could potentially work. Like Manchester City in red and black, they could find a way to get around rival's colourways and own a unique look.

Though orange hasn't featured in Sydney kits for 9 seasons, and now exists solely in the logo that appears set to change next year anyway
It did show up on this one off a couple of years back:
imago19041797h-900x500.jpg

but yeah, it will disappear completely with the new logo.

The interesting thing is Brisbane Roar wearing maroon this season, apparently it was really popular with just about everyone and even Aloisi was talking about them wanting to wear it as much as possible.

Who knows how it'll all end up but it's possibly in a state of flux. The Mariners have never really known what they are and you could argue only Adelaide, Victory, the Wanderers, and Sydney FC know what their home colours are. The Jets are all over the place and have been for way too long.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

only Adelaide, Victory, the Wanderers, and Sydney FC know what their home colours are.
Don't forget Perth and Phoenix as well.
The interesting thing is Brisbane Roar wearing maroon this season, apparently it was really popular with just about everyone and even Aloisi was talking about them wanting to wear it as much as possible.
Trying to jump on the whole state colour thing bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back