Soccer rebranded as football by PC commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Pester power is a brilliant persuader ;)

So despite the fact they now have a DEDICATED football channel, all games live and sink millions of dollars into the competition, you're so outraged over such a tiny thing as to deny yourself Foxtel based on that outrage?

They can call soccer "Australia's true game" for all I care since they offer the above.

So despite the fact they now have a DEDICATED football channel, all games live and sink millions of dollars into the competition, you're so outraged over such a tiny thing as to deny yourself Foxtel based on that outrage?

They can call soccer "Australia's true game" for all I care since they offer the above.

I go to the pub/mates houses/bars/clubs etc.

I believe that in time it is a large free kick to soccer over football.

To give some perspective, if you to Poland and talk about football they will not know what a Sherrin is. I say this being born there and having lived all over Europe. Aussie Rules is only really know by former Aussies and their friends.

To expand the game overseas the AFL will need to come up with a name like Grid-Iron because Poland Australian Football league sounds silly.

Maybe Handfootball, because of unique passing maybe? Or Markball?

To give some perspective, if you to Poland and talk about football they will not know what a Sherrin is. I say this being born there and having lived all over Europe. Aussie Rules is only really know by former Aussies and their friends.

To expand the game overseas the AFL will need to come up with a name like Grid-Iron because Poland Australian Football league sounds silly.

Well well well, look who we have here, an imposter trying to ruin the highly respected name of intentcity.

I completely agree. However i believe it should not be marketed as any kind of football at all.
Many many people i meet (Australians, europeans ... others ..) have NO idea at all about the difference between any of the football codes. Many non-Australians i meet state "i dont like association football, so im probably not going to like Australian football". For this reason we should market it as something completely different.

At least you know what's up in your username.

Football and AFL can co-exist

Lol ... didnt realise that. Seems a bit ironic.
Trying to think back to why i chose that name. I believe it was because the Wikipedia project for football back then was called Wikipedia AFL as it hadnt really encompassed SANFL, WAFL etc.
I have been meaning to purchase BigFooty membership and change it but havent got around to it.

On a side-note. I used to follow soccer quite a bit when i was younger, but was instantly turned off when the FFA and soccer fans in general started insisting that their sport is the ONLY football. When i was in primary school i went to school once with the big news that alongside football there was also football (i was one of very few kids who actually watched the soccer world cup).

"Association Football" is.

Fair enough, yeah. Personally, as a supporter of both sports, I've generally sought to distinguish between the two in any conversation by using "Association Football" for the round-ball game, and "Australian Football" for the AFL, etc.

I completely agree. However i believe it should not be marketed as any kind of football at all.
Many many people i meet (Australians, europeans ... others ..) have NO idea at all about the difference between any of the football codes. Many non-Australians i meet state "i dont like association football, so im probably not going to like Australian football". For this reason we should market it as something completely different.

You're probably right. Europeans equate "real" football with soccer and depending on the location like UK, France, Italy etc rugby too I guess. Just as Australians get angry about other games using similar names, Europeans dislike other 'footballs' going around. In particular American football which is pretty big over here because of American citizens living abroad, plus obviously rugby which gets call that too.

If you're going to take the "foot" out of it, it needs to be something unique about the game. Four goal posts = POSTBALL, bouncing = BOUNCEBALL, marking = MARKBALL or more left field like ABORIGINEBALL or drop the ball and combine two like MARKERBOUNCE like Grid Iron or something about the field like OVAL BALL... or name it after a popular player like CAZALYBALL? Actually I don't mind that because there's a song to sing with it and I dont know if you've been to Polska but that's mainly why we go!

Fair enough, yeah. Personally, as a supporter of both sports, I've generally sought to distinguish between the two in any conversation by using "Association Football" for the round-ball game, and "Australian Football" for the AFL, etc.

Well as the altar boy said to the cardinal, it's a bit of a mouthful.

I say AFL all the time, so do all my friends. You'd have to be loopy to either not know what it means or get offended by it.

Well as the altar boy said to the cardinal, it's a bit of a mouthful.

I say AFL all the time, so do all my friends. You'd have to be loopy to either not know what it means or get offended by it.
**** up troll. Of course an nRL fan is going to call football what the Sydney-centric media thinks the sport is called (AFL) :rolleyes: Local news bulletins produced in AFL states know what the sport is called in this country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** up troll. Of course an nRL fan is going to call football what the Sydney-centric media thinks the sport is called (AFL) :rolleyes: Local news bulletins produced in AFL states know what the sport is called in this country.

The AFL have been marketing the sport as AFL. I hardly think you can blame people for calling it that.

Even WAFL clubs who aren't under the AFL's jurisdiction to an extent have Play AFL signs up at their grounds.

The controlling bodies of the sport are marketing the sport as AFL. That alone means any abuse at people or news agencies who use that term is moronic.

I agree, its a silly term for the sport. However, I can see why the AFL wants something distinctive and with a brand.

I played "AFL" on the weekend, but I didn't get paid $200,000 to do so. I guess my cheque is coming in the mail. All "AFL" players get paid, right? ....well I will ring them up and check when I get paid for playing "AFL".

Here is another organisation that has made the switch to what the poms want. You would think we were living in England - not Australia.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/

You can contact them if you want to remind them that they are in Australia - not England and that you are not interested in watching pommy soccer teams such as Scampaignerhorpe United playing Finkelwood Rovers.

http://mi9.com.au/contactus.aspx

The AFL have been marketing the sport as AFL. I hardly think you can blame people for calling it that.

Even WAFL clubs who aren't under the AFL's jurisdiction to an extent have Play AFL signs up at their grounds.

The controlling bodies of the sport are marketing the sport as AFL. That alone means any abuse at people or news agencies who use that term is moronic.

I agree, its a silly term for the sport. However, I can see why the AFL wants something distinctive and with a brand.
As you just said, the AFL looks at it through a brand recognition perspective. In SA I've never seen those "play AFL" signs they have, in fact I only thought they existed in NSW and QLD. To set the record straight as well that abuse was sent because the idiot's an obvious troll.

I am not a troll but I do support the Storm and Victory too because I love my adopted town.

I wasn't born in this country so don't judge me by your narrow standards.

I am black and white through and through.

I am not a troll but I do support the Storm and Victory too because I love my adopted town.

I wasn't born in this country so don't judge me by your narrow standards.

I am black and white through and through.
Whatever troll. Just look at your location ffs. Who the **** writes that? Normal gay people wouldn't, but you seem to want to point it out. Reeks of a homophobic nRL fan to me.

Whatever troll. Just look at your location ffs. Who the **** writes that? Normal gay people wouldn't, but you seem to want to point it out. Reeks of a homophobic nRL fan to me.

Football accepts all kinds of people.

That is what i say to people calling our sport gayfl. Though when im teaching a homosexual friend about the game i point that out to them ... it usually influences in the positive alot.

Normal gay people? :confused:

Don't be ignorant. I've already made it clear I follow all the major Melbourne clubs regardless of sport.

Perhaps the person here with the small mind is you.

so what religion are you, seriously WHO CARES ...

No amount of jackbooted invaders will change footy, nor will they succeed in convincing Australians that those who hit a ball with their head dont play SOCCER.
Footy is Aussie Rules in some States & League in others, soccer its not.

Dress up the PC motives of those who seek to change the name of the games, even those who seek to mislead by introducing sexuality or religion or politics, PC cowboys all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer rebranded as football by PC commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Back