Soccer rebranded as football by PC commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Normal gay people? :confused:

Don't be ignorant. I've already made it clear I follow all the major Melbourne clubs regardless of sport.

Perhaps the person here with the small mind is you.

Why haven't the mods banned this troll already??

To think I got banned for correctly predicting Australia would score only one vote in its bid to host the WC.

Big Footy can be a strange place where AFL fans are not allowed to show public support for the sport this site is supposedly serviing while LU trolls freely and blatantly show disrespect to our national game.

Let them take their fat heads, no necks and cauliflower ears back to LU.

To think I got banned for correctly predicting Australia would score only one vote in its bid to host the WC.

Firstly I didn't bring up my sexuality someone else did, I changed my location because some other small mind poster made a nasty comment on the gay AFL players thread, obviously someone just like yourself who hates anything that's different.

Yes I can follow other sports and yes I like men. Deal with it. I wasn't born in this country, I was born in Poland so my perspective is just a bit more open than yours. What do you do in life when you meet people with different viewpoints to your own? Cry? Hurt them? My home was ruined by people like that and we came here hoping for some equality but I keep find predujice.

You might live with your wife and kids and live in your tiny little world and bury your head in the sand. But perhaps the really reason you were banned is because you hate anything that's different.

I have no problem calling both soccer and AFL football. Perhaps you need to reflect on your own issues however.

Again, seconded with extreme prejudice. Very clear he's not a real Collingwood supporter - though he keeps posing as one to troll various clubs on the main board :rolleyes:

I seriously feel stupider for having read this thread.

Call it whatever you want, but don't get upset because some people call soccer, a game which has been known as football for longer than Australian Rules, and actually involves just the foot, unlike Aussie Rules, football.

Call it whatever you want, but don't get upset because some people call soccer, a game which has been known as football for longer than Australian Rules, and actually involves just the foot, unlike Aussie Rules, football.

And amazingly enough, 'soccer' is short for Association Football. So yes, it's known as football.

I seriously feel stupider for having read this thread. ..
There could be any number of reasons for you 'feeling stupider'
...don't get upset because some people call soccer, a game which has been known as football for longer than Australian Rules...
No it hasn't - Association Football (to give it its proper name) was only codified in 1863 - 4 years after the Australian game was codified. Soccer was introduced to Australia some 30 years after our game was codified.
... and actually involves just the foot, unlike Aussie Rules, football.
You reckon? I played junior soccer for some years - as a goalkeeper. I used my feet more playing football than soccer!

The thrust of this thread is that certain media (not all) are using the term 'football' and even worse the term 'Australian Football' exclusively for the sport of soccer (or Association Football, to give it its full name) - and then use the term 'AFL' (the name of one professional league) instead of the correct name of 'Australian Football' when referring to the sport as a whole. This is akin to referring to all soccer in Australia as 'A-League', or all rugby as 'NRL'. It's an accurate and reasonable point.

It seems to me that what we actually have is various forms of 'football'

- Soccer
- Aussie Rules
- Rugby
- Gridiron etc

Wherever you happen to be, the predominant form of the game may be called 'football' and people will know what you are likely to be talking about.

However, with the growth of soccer in Australia, some of its followers - perhaps in a gesture of rivalry to Aussie Rules - believe that, because it is the predominant code in much of the rest of the world, it should also be called football here when that is unnecessary, ambiguous and for mine not sensible.

[Doesn't bother me much, just seems silly!]

I seriously feel stupider for having read this thread.

How bright were you to begin with?

You don't know when the two games in question were codified and you haven't managed to figure out how to google the relevant information up.

And you seem to think that Australian football fans have failed to notice that soccer involves the arms (throw-ins, goalkeeper) head and chest. How many goals are scored by the head in soccer - 30% is my guess.

How bright were you to begin with?

You don't know when the two games in question were codified and you haven't managed to figure out how to google the relevant information up.

And you seem to think that Australian football fans have failed to notice that soccer involves the arms (throw-ins, goalkeeper) head and chest. How many goals are scored by the head in soccer - 30% is my guess.

Bright enough to know that soccer traces its origins back much farther than Australian Rules, regardless of when it was 'codified' (like people couldn't play the game before it was codified).

More importantly, bright enough to know that it is such an insignificant matter. Hard to believe how upset some people are actually getting over this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can out down the pen and paper and just call it.

This is surely the worst thread in the history of Big Footy.

Sets humanity back a few years for sure.

Offends your sense of political correctness
OR
as a ranking member of the Thought Police you will do your best to claim what is yours.

Seems a classic example of the PC types who decided to change Aussie Rules footy from the game we know as football & rebrand soccer as football.

Not surprising a member of the Thought Police would seek to close down this discussion.:rolleyes:

SOCCER!has a very long way still to go in this country to even be #3 code

Last weekends soccer GF rated third behind two AFL games on Foxtel and wasnt even on FTA TV.

Without the stupid past and present federal governments pumping in tens of millions of OUR taxes into the game the A League (more like the B league) would have folded.What a complete waste of public monies.

Bright enough to know that soccer traces its origins back much farther than Australian Rules, regardless of when it was 'codified' (like people couldn't play the game before it was codified).

More importantly, bright enough to know that it is such an insignificant matter. Hard to believe how upset some people are actually getting over this.

Yep thats right the Chinese played a game similar to soccer with a round ball hundreds of years before it was "invented' by the Poms!

Offends your sense of political correctness
OR
as a ranking member of the Thought Police you will do your best to claim what is yours.

Seems a classic example of the PC types who decided to change Aussie Rules footy from the game we know as football & rebrand soccer as football.

Not surprising a member of the Thought Police would seek to close down this discussion.:rolleyes:

Good grief...how does this have anything to do with political correctness, how does this have anything to do with the thought police, how does this make any kind of sense whatsoever.

But if we are going to go there, you seem to be the one who wants to control what people say by demanding they not be allowed to call soccer football, even though it is known by that name around the world.

Thought Police! Thought Police!

All we need is a nazi reference and this thread will have reached the pinnacle of internet debating.

Without the stupid past and present federal governments pumping in tens of millions of OUR taxes into the game the AFL would have folded.

See what I did there?

In any case, such a claim about the AFL is just as moronic as it is when made about the A-League.

Notwithstanding the fact that the AFL, and AFL clubs, certainly do receive massively more in government support. Or to put it another way, "OUR taxes".

When the NSW state government pays rugby league $50 million dollars to play their grand final in Sydney, it is called sponsorship and no questions are asked.

When the same NSW government agrees to build and update two stadiums, it is a called business at a cost well over $300 million dollars.

When a local council (Blacktown) utilises almost its entire parks’ funding on building the AFL a training ground, it is called business.

I could go on forever and look at the Gold Coast and especially the former deal with the Queensland government to put the next Queensland team in Brisbane; thus the reason for building the first stadium.

When the new AFL team wants a new stadium built (Metricon) and ignores the previous arrangement, it is called business.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/09/16/football-folk-thin-skinned-or-valid-points/

I don't have a problem with that occurring - as I said before, I've been a strong supporter of both codes for a helluva long time.

What I do have a problem with is wilful dishonesty about the issue.

Association Footbal, Soccer etc. can be correctly referred to as football. Australian Rules can also be correctly referred to as football. You could start calling Gaelic or gridiron 'football' if you wanted to. It's entirely a matter of personal choice.

A) Soccer hasn't been rebranded as football. That's backwards. Association Football was re-branded as soccer years ago.

B) I have a question for the 'how dare they call it football here in Ostraya! Here in Ostraya we call AFL football!' brigade.

In Queensland, they call rugby football. **** knows why, but they do. If you were in Queensland, would you suddenly start calling the game 'Aussie Rules' because 'Here in Queensland we call rugby football'? And if you didn't and somebody got offended because you were shortening Aussie Rules to football when 'here in Queensland we call rugby football', would you think they should stop whingeing about such an insignificant issue and harden the **** up?

And following on from this point, why the hell is anybody whingeing about Sydney newspapers referring to Association Football as football? They don't shorten Aussie Rules to football any more in NSW than SA/Victoria/WA shorten Association Football to football. You may as well be complaining about an American newspaper using football to refer to the NFL and not to the AFL.

Good grief...how does this have anything to do with political correctness, how does this have anything to do with the thought police, how does this make any kind of sense whatsoever.

But if we are going to go there, you seem to be the one who wants to control what people say by demanding they not be allowed to call soccer football, even though it is known by that name around the world.

Thought Police! Thought Police!

All we need is a nazi reference and this thread will have reached the pinnacle of internet debating.

Poor OutbackJack, discussion v close it down ... a meeting behind closed doors changing the way certain press types refer to our sporting codes is rampant PC for mine especially when Aunty is central to move, see Whately.

It is interesting that Craig Foster's articles have undergone a turnaround:
in recent months:
25 September 2011
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/foot...the-beautiful-games-begin-20110924-1kqmy.html
Some media outlets still persist in calling the game soccer, which I find absolutely amazing. This is naked insecurity, otherwise, why be worried? In football, you never hear us say that others should not use the name, we simply couldn't care less.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/foot...the-beautiful-games-begin-20110924-1kqmy.html

April 15 2012
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/jets-dont-fall-from-clear-sky-20120414-1x0gy.html
SOCCER doesn't just have an elephant in the room...
Tinkler was treated appallingly by Australian soccer...
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/jets-dont-fall-from-clear-sky-20120414-1x0gy.html

See what I did there?

In any case, such a claim about the AFL is just as moronic as it is when made about the A-League.

Notwithstanding the fact that the AFL, and AFL clubs, certainly do receive massively more in government support. Or to put it another way, "OUR taxes".

I don't have a problem with that occurring - as I said before, I've been a strong supporter of both codes for a helluva long time.

What I do have a problem with is wilful dishonesty about the issue.

The big difference between what Soccer gets and the other codes is that the monies are direct grants that the governing body FFA have recieved IE:recently pissing $46 Millon against the wall in a stupid bid for a soccer WC not for buliding infrastruture like stadiums/community centres that the other codes esp AFL - RL do.

It seems to me that what we actually have is various forms of 'football'

- Soccer
- Aussie Rules
- Rugby
- Gridiron etc

Wherever you happen to be, the predominant form of the game may be called 'football' and people will know what you are likely to be talking about.

There are two different codes of "rugby", just to clarify - league and union. It amazes me the number of Victorians to whom this is still news.

Poor OutbackJack, discussion v close it down ... a meeting behind closed doors changing the way certain press types refer to our sporting codes is rampant PC for mine especially when Aunty is central to move, see Whately.

I'm beginning to see...so it's a huge left wing conspiracy originating from the deepest, darkest corridors of power (I assume Bob Brown and Al Gore have a role in this somehow) and being driven by that marxist ABC organisation. The end game is obvious too...once people start calling soccer football, people all over Australia will become confused. Kids will not know what sport they are signing up to, fans will find themselves at an A-League match when they meant to go to an AFL match, chaos will ensue.

Or, the game is known most commonly the world over as football, so some organisations have opted to brand it as such, knowing that intelligent people know the difference between the many brands of football.

But I like the first one better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer rebranded as football by PC commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Back