Soloman - your thoughts please

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't really thought about my entire best 22 before but seeing you asked I'd give it a crack - I'll assume by best 22 you mean I can include players with short-term injuries:
Hayden, Haddrill, Thornton
Grover, McPharlin, Johnson
Peake, Hasleby, McManus
Bell, Pavlich, Crowley
Farmer, Tarrant, Schammer
Sandilands, Black J.Carr
Bench: Warnock, Campbell, Headland (barely), Solomon (even more barely).
Coach: Harvey

(those underlined are the few I'd give a pass mark to based on their season so far - everyone else is a clear failure and that's why we're so far below what was expected this season)

Players who completely suck right now and don't come into consideration as a result: Mourish, Murphy, Gilmore, Parker, Webster, Dodd, Mundy, M. Carr.

Players who are nowhere near ready for our best 22 but may be within a few years - remains to be seen: Ibbotson, O'Brien, Dunn.

None of the above: Longmuir, Collard, Drum, Browne, Cook, Walker, Duffield.

Alright then, that's the best I could come up with in 10 minutes. No doubt those of you with rose-coloured glasses who somehow seem to think 5-6 (and the performances we've dished up) is anywhere near acceptable will take issue - go for your life.
Just came on for a read but had to log in to defend the defenders. To label the bulk as "clear failures" and Dodd and Mundy with the tag "completely suck" is daft.

Dodd has been excellent this year and been rarely beaten.
Hayden is in career best form.
Mundy (bit soft for mine) but has played some good games.
M Carr - do yourself a favour and check out who he is tagging each week (usually with a good result)

Your 22 is not too far away. Very hard to leave anyone out with a healthy list.

PS. I really hope Dunn gets an opportunity to show what he's got at AFL level - I think our team lacks good depth through the midfield (plenty of fwds and backs though).

Haven't really thought about my entire best 22 before but seeing you asked I'd give it a crack - I'll assume by best 22 you mean I can include players with short-term injuries:
Hayden, Haddrill, Thornton
Grover, McPharlin, Johnson
Peake, Hasleby, McManus
Bell, Pavlich, Crowley
Farmer, Tarrant, Schammer
Sandilands, Black J.Carr
Bench: Warnock, Campbell, Headland (barely), Solomon (even more barely).
Coach: Harvey

(those underlined are the few I'd give a pass mark to based on their season so far - everyone else is a clear failure and that's why we're so far below what was expected this season)

Players who completely suck right now and don't come into consideration as a result: Mourish, Murphy, Gilmore, Parker, Webster, Dodd, Mundy, M. Carr.

Players who are nowhere near ready for our best 22 but may be within a few years - remains to be seen: Ibbotson, O'Brien, Dunn.

None of the above: Longmuir, Collard, Drum, Browne, Cook, Walker, Duffield.

Alright then, that's the best I could come up with in 10 minutes. No doubt those of you with rose-coloured glasses who somehow seem to think 5-6 (and the performances we've dished up) is anywhere near acceptable will take issue - go for your life.

You're not a Donkey, you're an ass! ;)

My main issue is you haven't deemed Hayden's performances to be worthy of a pass mark this season. He's been one of our best every week, what exactly do you expect him to do? Get 35 possessions every game?
I agree actually, shouldn't have overlooked him for the Ctrl+U but I did do this in a rush! You're dead right.
To label the bulk as "clear failures" and Dodd and Mundy with the tag "completely suck" is daft.
It's clear to me I have much higher expectations of the team than most around here, rightly or wrongly. I honestly went into the season thinking 9-2 was a reasonable halfway goal and 17-5 for the whole season. Given the standard the boys showed they were capable of last season personally I think we've put in seven completely unacceptable performances this season, another horribly average one and three average to good performances. That's the standard which I believe should be set for this team by coaches and fans alike, and that's probably why I've deemed so many players to be clear failures so far. You may call that negative - I call it positive having the belief that the boys are capable of so much better (albeit terribly unlikely to produce it unless there's an improbably drastic change in attitude).

I think you're all overestimating Dodd for sure, he's no Haddrill. Our defence has been absolutely balls this year and I don't see why he's an exception.

I'm still struggling to comprehend that anybody could defend Mundy's season - I think he has been terrible.

On Hayden I agree with you.
M Carr - do yourself a favour and check out who he is tagging each week (usually with a good result)
Two players I continue to keep a close eye on are M. Carr and Solomon - mainly because everyone else seems to see them so differently I really want to see what I'm missing. Still haven't figured it out, Solomon misses a hell of a lot of tackles and puts in some pretty half-hearted chases for a "hard" man, and M. Carr sure as hell seems to be loose a lot of the time considering he's a "tagger".
PS. I really hope Dunn gets an opportunity to show what he's got at AFL level - I think our team lacks good depth through the midfield
Here here :thumbsu:
I also think Tarrant and Hayden deserve pass marks.
Would've given Tarrant a pass up until the Collingwood game, since then certain aspects of his game have been completely unacceptable from a professional. Agree with Hayden though.
I'd probably play Webster instead of Warnock
No way I'd play any game without Warnock so long as Sandilands is so poor - his disposal and work around the ground has been laughable and his hitouts surely result in opposition clearances more often than clearances for us. I know that's a midfield issue to an extent but he has to take responsibility too. I haven't seen any stats but I swear there was a direct correlation on Sunday with Warnock going into the ruck and us stopping the bleeding from clearances.
You're not a Donkey, you're an ass!
Saying that doesn't prove anything, why not tell us what you'd do differently?

PS. I really hope Dunn gets an opportunity to show what he's got at AFL level - I think our team lacks good depth through the midfield (plenty of fwds and backs though).

Highly doubt that we¨ll ever see Ryley pull on a Freo jersey again

His been having epidurals in his back and IMO his out for the year

I was talking to Schamm who lives with Dunny last week and he had serious concerns. I asked him specifically about his knee and he told me it was the least of his worries at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Soloman - your thoughts please

Remove this Banner Ad

Back