Southport CEO's comment

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what to make from this quote from todays H/S...

Southport chief executive Paul Wyatt said the talks centred on the Roos playing three home games at Carrara rather than in Canberra.

Asked whether the initial three games could lead to the club relocating to the Gold Coast, Wyatt said: "I'm not going to say that we didn't talk about that, but that aspect was never going to be an overnight situation, if indeed it did happen. Everyone is aware of that."

Wyatt said any side that was struggling financially and was looking to protect its longevity would be crazy not to look at relocating to the Gold Coast.

"But, of course, it becomes a very emotional issue," he said.

"We will just have to sit down now and see what comes of it.

"It was a meeting that may be beneficial or may not, depending on what happens as we move down the track."

Read further down to put it into perspective:

"It was a meeting that may be beneficial or may not, depending on what happens as we move down the track."

They have left this guy hanging, most of what he states is wishful thinking.

My gut feeling tells me that the club wants to do a deal with Canberra.;)

Canberra..............."show me the money".

Can someone tell me, how many people go to the Southport Football Club Matches to watch the footy?

Having 60,000 members paying $5 to get a free drink and $2 off a chicken parma when they are playing the pokies does not give you a crowd going to the football.

Just have to feel For how 'shafted' the Canberra supporters group would be if North decided on pulling the stumps out and heading North >> is the $$$ that much of a difference?? If not, club should stay put. Anyway, what's stopping from North playing up on the Gold Coast as the visiting team once a year? The Qld supporters group would benefit in seeing us play two games then. Work it from there I think is the better option if the money isn't much of difference. We have Canberra now and it won't take much for another club to snare the opportunities as the AFL clearly is showing a distinct indication that the AFL game must evolve around the country.

Not sure how many people they (south port) have going to matches, but i do know that there are a lot of Gold coasters who are lions members and supporters. i also know that half of Tasmania have moved up there and love their footy who would go and watch afl matches. if the trend of people from victora moving to the gold coast is anything like the tassie trend then a large afl supporter base is already there.
However,The dollars and cents issue is bigger than the Canberra vs Goldcoast outbidding each other by $50000. For the gold coast to appease our board they would have to compensate us for 1000 members in Canberra, corperate sponsorship dollars from Canberra and the work that has been done in developing a base within Canberra (schools, busineses, etc.), for which i'm not sure you could put a dollar figure on.

Thus say the base figure per game offered by Canberra is $400 thousand, the gold coast would have to match that in my opinion, by around $600 thousand to get us to move our games up there.

Melly017 said:
Can someone tell me, how many people go to the Southport Football Club Matches to watch the footy?

Having 60,000 members paying $5 to get a free drink and $2 off a chicken parma when they are playing the pokies does not give you a crowd going to the football.

Thanks for raising this Melly. Southports 4 gazillion members are a joke. You hit the nail, the vast majority of their members are over 65, and wouldn't even know there is a football club attached to their neon bingo hall. Of all the AFLQ clubs, Southport would have to be the most poorly supported, and what supporters they have won't even travel to the other end of the coast to watch the local derby.

Arden said:
Thanks for raising this Melly. Southports 4 gazillion members are a joke. You hit the nail, the vast majority of their members are over 65, and wouldn't even know there is a football club attached to their neon bingo hall. Of all the AFLQ clubs, Southport would have to be the most poorly supported, and what supporters they have won't even travel to the other end of the coast to watch the local derby.

I think we supporters think alike about genuine interest but as Duffmiester said >> 'money is money'. Can't control what these big boys have on thier agenda but this is just the WAKE UP CALL we probably need as the players have to force themselves to playing more consistant and winning with BIG SCORES and get the 'lost un-signed members' onside. I admit footy has become TOO DEFENSIVE and boring as butter over the last few years and that seems to have flicked those 'lost members' off the radar.

1 in 4 conversion rate. Good Luck.

We can't get 1 in 10 and we have the best strike rate in the Comp.

Lucky to get 3,000 IMO

Don't they say that the Gold Coast is the scam captial of Australia? Can we just save the suspense and tell these sheister's where to stick their cash?

Never trust anyone who represents a group of people that wear sandals with socks.

Ever.

Melly017 said:

When listening to MMM on Sunday for the Brisbane vs Essendon game they talked about the Gold Coast situation and on the broadcast was Champion and Lynch who are obviously past players and have played out of GC for a long time and they said they have always had a large social club and while they supported the Bears early on the interest dropped off a lot once the novelty wore off.

There is a load of hype at the moment and the novelty factor is high again, but he said they would get very little conversion of their old social club pokie members into football members given the cost difference alone.

Champion also said they will come out for a limited number of games but doesn't think they will come out every single week, part of the reason why a permanent move seems to be going to played more at the Gabba than Carrara, which seems to defeat the purpose and will just draw support away from the Lions.

NorthBhoy said:
Don't they say that the Gold Coast is the scam captial of Australia? Can we just save the suspense and tell these sheister's where to stick their cash?

Never trust anyone who represents a group of people that wear sandals with socks.

Ever.

Very appropiate time to 'negiotiate' something with the Gold Coast group. :D And as Duffmiester says >>> money is money >> I ask who's money is it really? ABORT RIGHT NOW!!! Jumping to conclusions is one thing but where the hell is the money coming from?? very concerning. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melly017 said:

I was going to post this earlier but thought there had been enough about this topic at that stage.

My hope is that if we indeed go to the Gold Coast for up to three or four games a year for a few years, we take them for everything they've got, consolidate our position down here and, after the crowds fail to support the concept, we come back home.

Permanently.

windsock said:
I was going to post this earlier but thought there had been enough about this topic at that stage.

My hope is that if we indeed go to the Gold Coast for up to three or four games a year for a few years, we take them for everything they've got, consolidate our position down here and, after the crowds fail to support the concept, we come back home.

Permanently.
What if the crowds did support the concept?
IMHO, relocation = death, and that's the simple answer.
Play 3 games anywhere you like, but like Hirdy said - home is where the soul is.

That's why I said "my hope". Either way we are playing games at an interstate venue over the next three years at least. That much is without question.

Southport and their CEO take take a great flying ******** as far as I'm concerned.

I've had just about enough of this ********.

All of the talk about money for this money for that makes our club look like the whore of the AFL........With Southport trying to muscle in as our new pimp.

Sign the deal with Canberra (better the devil you know)....Let one of the other unfortunate AFL whores fall prey to the seedy life on the Gold Coast.

Why don't North turn around and say to the AFL. Ok, you want a national competation, we are the national brand! The Kanagroos!

We demand atleast 10 games in Melbourne, we'll play 4 on the Gold Coast, we'll play 3 in the ACT, we'll play 2 in West Sydney nad we'll play the remaining games anyway you bloody like, be it Dubai!

The point being is that we'll do anything to promote this beautiful game, but the AFL must throw us plenty of cash and support to pay for the KANAGROOS brand.:D

ShovelstoShovels said:
Why don't North turn around and say to the AFL. Ok, you want a national competation, we are the national brand! The Kanagroos!

We demand atleast 10 games in Melbourne, we'll play 4 on the Gold Coast, we'll play 3 in the ACT, we'll play 2 in West Sydney nad we'll play the remaining games anyway you bloody like, be it Dubai!

The point being is that we'll do anything to promote this beautiful game, but the AFL must throw us plenty of cash and support to pay for the KANAGROOS brand.:D
And who would support this crap of a footy club?
I'd rather support circue de Solei

Well when the saints say they have over 300,000 fans, but only have 30,000 members.

Given the scope, we could be looking atleast 50,000 members. With still 10 games in Melbourne!

vlad76 said:
And who would support this crap of a footy club?
I'd rather support circue de Solei

Who's playing Full Back for Circue de Solei.

Be better than the Clown we have there at present.

Remove this Banner Ad

Southport CEO's comment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back