Speculatory Top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

philhawk said:
Well this is pure opinion based on what i've seen and read on here on BigFooty (which is probably what most opinions are based on). Note, i've never watched any of these kids play (bar from the odd few games from the Under 18 carnival on FoxFooty), so if you disagree then thats fine.

Based on the Ladder as it stands currently,

1. Essendon - Scott Gumbleton - Lloyd and Hird, the two Essendon champions are entering the twilight of their careers. Essendon have recruited their fair share of talls over the past few years, but none (so far) have really been able to step up into a KPP role. I see possible Gumbleton in a CHF role, with Lucas playing up at FF when Lloyd retires. Yes I know it'll be hard to overlook Gibbs, but to be honest, if I was to have a full-strength Jonathan Brown or a full-strength Chris Judd, i'd go with Brown.

2. Carlton - Bryce Gibbs - Carlton's supposedly strong links with Glenelg could counteract the possibility of Gibbs going back to SA more then any other club. I personally reckon Gibbs and Murphy in the Carlton midfield could be the best in the competition in around 5 years. Add to that Walker and a couple of other youngsters and you've got a quality midfield artillery there. I wanted to pick Hansen here, but I don't see Carlton picking up Hansen unless Gibbs is picked by Essendon at 1. The way I see it, Carlton rate the Top 3 as Gibbs, Hansen and Gumbleton in that order. They've got alot of quality upcoming KPP like Kennedy, Waite, Fisher and SultanaBran (;)) so I think Gibbs would fit in perfectly into Carltons list.

3. Hawthorn - Lachlan Hansen - Hansen seems to be the most versatile KOO in this draft. Unlike Gumbleton (from what I saw at the championship), what he lacked in 'aggression' in the forward line, he made up for down back with some strong marks and the ability to read the play beautifully. With him at Full-Back and Croad at CHB, I reckon this could become a very lethal combo for Hawthorn in the years to come ... ;)

4. Kangaroos - Joel Selwood - This one's a smokey to be honest. I reckon the Kangaroos will go for a midfielder this draft to take off some of the stress on Wells. I'd have liked to pick Jetta here, but I just feel that he's too similar to Wells and the Kangaroos would love a inside midfielder like Selwood (from what i've heard?) who could also contribute towards the development of a very potent Kangaroos midfield along with Wells and perhaps Swallow in the years to come ...

5. Port Adelaide - James Sellar - Pretty much a no brainer I believe. Again it came down to Jetta vs Sellar for mine, but Port also have some quality, young, pacy midfielders like Pearce without needing to recruit Jetta. Sellar being an Adelaide boy just adds to it all. Could become a good replacement to Lade or even Tredrea (depending how much he grows by over the next few years!). Could turn out to be the bargain of the draft.

6. Brisbane - Leroy Jetta - At last! :p He seems a perfect solution to Aker leaving the club this year. A quality midfielder with pace to burn who has the ability to crumb at the same time and kick some freakish goals (again based on the little I saw at the carnival). Brisbanes midfield is admittedly ageing, but recruiting Jetta could potentially add a little towards solving this problem!

7. Geelong - Mitchell Thorp - Again, this is another smokey. This kid supposedly has the potential to go at 1. I reckon that if Hansen/Gumbleton are gone by Hawthorns pick, we'll pick him up as we have a tendency to recruit quality young Tassie players. Geelong (those lucky bastards :p), will be able to commit absolute murder this draft in picking up both Hawkins and Thorp. CHF and CHB potentially for the Cats for the next 10 years ...

8. Richmond - Matthew Leunberger - Hardest one to pick to be honest. They've recruited some quality mids and some quality KPPs over the last few years so its pretty hard to determine a pattern. In that case I thought, why don't they go for a ruckman? Simmonds looks to be in career best form and recruiting the best ruckman in this draft for the likes of Deledio, Tambling, Polo etc over the next 10 years could turn out to be a great move.

9. Fremantle - Clayton Collard - Really didn't have a clue to be honest. From what I saw, players like Collard and Hislop were pretty evenly matched so i'd say that Fremantle just might go for the "home grown" factor.

10. Sydney - Clinton Benjamin - Tall utility type who the Swans have a good record of recruiting! Reminded me starkingly of Goodes when I watched the WA vs Vic Country game. Supposedly has pace to burn and his agility wasn't too shabby either! Don't know what his marking ability is like, but perhaps Roos could develop him into a quality KPP to make up for O'Loughlin ageing? Another player I believe has huge odds of coming here is Leunberger, but unfortunately I don't see him slipping to the Swans.

Reasonable summary other than the fact that Lloyd and Lucas are the same age ;) Hird will be gone yes but Lloydy will play just as many more seasons as Lucas , maybe more.

philhawk said:
Well this is pure opinion based on what i've seen and read on here on BigFooty (which is probably what most opinions are based on). Note, i've never watched any of these kids play (bar from the odd few games from the Under 18 carnival on FoxFooty), so if you disagree then thats fine.

1. Essendon - Scott Gumbleton - Lloyd and Hird, the two Essendon champions are entering the twilight of their careers. Essendon have recruited their fair share of talls over the past few years, but none (so far) have really been able to step up into a KPP role. I see possible Gumbleton in a CHF role, with Lucas playing up at FF when Lloyd retires. Yes I know it'll be hard to overlook Gibbs, but to be honest, if I was to have a full-strength Jonathan Brown or a full-strength Chris Judd, i'd go with Brown.

2. Carlton - Bryce Gibbs - Carlton's supposedly strong links with Glenelg could counteract the possibility of Gibbs going back to SA more then any other club. I personally reckon Gibbs and Murphy in the Carlton midfield could be the best in the competition in around 5 years. Add to that Walker and a couple of other youngsters and you've got a quality midfield artillery there. I wanted to pick Hansen here, but I don't see Carlton picking up Hansen unless Gibbs is picked by Essendon at 1. The way I see it, Carlton rate the Top 3 as Gibbs, Hansen and Gumbleton in that order. They've got alot of quality upcoming KPP like Kennedy, Waite, Fisher and SultanaBran (;)) so I think Gibbs would fit in perfectly into Carltons list.

3. Hawthorn - Lachlan Hansen - Hansen seems to be the most versatile KOO in this draft. Unlike Gumbleton (from what I saw at the championship), what he lacked in 'aggression' in the forward line, he made up for down back with some strong marks and the ability to read the play beautifully. With him at Full-Back and Croad at CHB, I reckon this could become a very lethal combo for Hawthorn in the years to come ... ;)

4. Kangaroos - Joel Selwood - This one's a smokey to be honest. I reckon the Kangaroos will go for a midfielder this draft to take off some of the stress on Wells. I'd have liked to pick Jetta here, but I just feel that he's too similar to Wells and the Kangaroos would love a inside midfielder like Selwood (from what i've heard?) who could also contribute towards the development of a very potent Kangaroos midfield along with Wells and perhaps Swallow in the years to come ...

5. Port Adelaide - James Sellar - Pretty much a no brainer I believe. Again it came down to Jetta vs Sellar for mine, but Port also have some quality, young, pacy midfielders like Pearce without needing to recruit Jetta. Sellar being an Adelaide boy just adds to it all. Could become a good replacement to Lade or even Tredrea (depending how much he grows by over the next few years!). Could turn out to be the bargain of the draft.

6. Brisbane - Leroy Jetta - At last! :p He seems a perfect solution to Aker leaving the club this year. A quality midfielder with pace to burn who has the ability to crumb at the same time and kick some freakish goals (again based on the little I saw at the carnival). Brisbanes midfield is admittedly ageing, but recruiting Jetta could potentially add a little towards solving this problem!

7. Geelong - Mitchell Thorp - Again, this is another smokey. This kid supposedly has the potential to go at 1. I reckon that if Hansen/Gumbleton are gone by Hawthorns pick, we'll pick him up as we have a tendency to recruit quality young Tassie players. Geelong (those lucky bastards :p), will be able to commit absolute murder this draft in picking up both Hawkins and Thorp. CHF and CHB potentially for the Cats for the next 10 years ...

8. Richmond - Matthew Leunberger - Hardest one to pick to be honest. They've recruited some quality mids and some quality KPPs over the last few years so its pretty hard to determine a pattern. In that case I thought, why don't they go for a ruckman? Simmonds looks to be in career best form and recruiting the best ruckman in this draft for the likes of Deledio, Tambling, Polo etc over the next 10 years could turn out to be a great move.

9. Fremantle - Clayton Collard - Really didn't have a clue to be honest. From what I saw, players like Collard and Hislop were pretty evenly matched so i'd say that Fremantle just might go for the "home grown" factor.

10. Sydney - Clinton Benjamin - Tall utility type who the Swans have a good record of recruiting! Reminded me starkingly of Goodes when I watched the WA vs Vic Country game. Supposedly has pace to burn and his agility wasn't too shabby either! Don't know what his marking ability is like, but perhaps Roos could develop him into a quality KPP to make up for O'Loughlin ageing? Another player I believe has huge odds of coming here is Leunberger, but unfortunately I don't see him slipping to the Swans.

You're starting to scare me man...If Geelong did get Thorp, imagine what they're forward line could look like in 3 years :eek:

Ablett - Thorp - Chapman - Stokes - Hawkins - Ottens.

Scarey stuff.

Lucky bastards!

tomthetiger said:
You're starting to scare me man...If Geelong did get Thorp, imagine what they're forward line could look like in 3 years :eek:

Ablett - Thorp - Chapman - Stokes - Hawkins - Ottens.

Scarey stuff.
Can't you fit in S.Johnson and N.Ablett? :)

A nice luxury if they can have Thorp develop in the VFL for 22 weeks next season playing with another first round pick in Varcoe. Or they opt to play him lose as he fills out whilst Harley, Egan, Scarlett, Hawkins, N.Ablett, Ottens, etc. hold down the key positions. :(

****ing Demetriou robbed us again with that change to the PP rules! :thumbsdown:

Re: Lucky bastards!

cypher said:
Can't you fit in S.Johnson and N.Ablett? :)

A nice luxury if they can have Thorp develop in the VFL for 22 weeks next season playing with another first round pick in Varcoe. Or they opt to play him lose as he fills out whilst Harley, Egan, Scarlett, Hawkins, N.Ablett, Ottens, etc. hold down the key positions. :(

****ing Demetriou robbed us again with that change to the PP rules! :thumbsdown:

I dunno Cypher, I personally like the changes! :p :)

philhawk said:

good read :thumbsu:

Agree agree people! Geelong were tipped at the start of the year to win the flag. I, however, see them being at their best in 2-3 years time. When you think about them, none of their stars or potential stars are too old. Very good position for them to be in.

tomthetiger said:
Agree agree people! Geelong were tipped at the start of the year to win the flag. I, however, see them being at their best in 2-3 years time. When you think about them, none of their stars or potential stars are too old. Very good position for them to be in.
They need to target a Nick Stevens because they're still good enough to be challenging in 3-5 seasons and they need more run in their midfield.

He'd complement the Lings, Coreys and Bartels beautifully. ;)

Geelong have plenty of key position forwards with Mooney, Ottens, & know doubt Hawkins all certain AFL starters. Playfair, N.Ablett look like they will eventually be AFL level as well.

Plenty of small forwards with; Ablett jnr, Chapmen being superstars and Stokes, Varcoe showing a lot of promise.

Steve Johnson, Milburn and Mackey as Mid sized forwards means Geelongs attack will be stacked.

Geelong needs a running half back (ala Mcloud/Griffen)
A winger with ripping foot skills (ala Travis Johnson, Lindsey Gilbee)
Powerfull Midfielder (Ala Roo, Hodge or Voss)

Hislop Daniel Connors, Collard, Jetta, Obrien, Urquart, Houli, Petterd sem like our options

i reckon everyone has pretty good idea who might go in the top 10-20, how about trying to work out who comes next, if you can you'll actually prove you know something!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculatory Top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back