Sports that should be Olympic events

Remove this Banner Ad

Squash but they don't have many friends on the IOC. Deserves to be there as much as badminton and table tennis.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/organisation/commissions/programme/full_story_uk.asp?id=1437

SINGAPORE 2005: 2012 Olympic Sport Vote
11 July 2005

Fresh and Relevant
A key element which makes the Olympic Games inspirational is the Olympic programme - that is, the menu of sports which make up the Games. The IOC has undertaken two years of in-depth study through the efforts of the Olympic Programme Commission, working in collaboration with the International Sports Federations and other Olympic stakeholders, to study the Olympic programme and to put in place a mechanism which allows the programme to be reviewed and, if necessary, changed, so that it remains fresh and relevant for the youth of tomorrow.

Landmark
The work of the Olympic Programme Commission reached a landmark in Singapore at the 117th IOC Session, when, for the first time in decades, the Olympic programme was reviewed. IOC members voted on each one of the 28 sports from the Athens 2004 Games to decide whether or not they should be staged at the Games in London in 2012. The members made history by voting for change for the first time in almost 70 years. Twenty-six of the 28 sports from Athens 2004 were chosen for London 2012. Two sports, baseball and softball, did not receive the majority of votes needed, although they do remain on the list of Olympic sports and are therefore eligible for possible inclusion at future Olympic Games.

New Sports
The non-inclusion of baseball and softball allowed the IOC members to vote on the inclusion of two new sports for the 2012 Olympic Games, since a total of 28 sports can be accepted on the Olympic programme. Five "non-Olympic" sports - roller sports, squash, golf, karate and rugby sevens - had been studied by the Olympic Programme Commission as part of its two-year analysis. From these five "non-Olympic" sports, the IOC members selected karate and squash as the two sports which could potentially be chosen to join the Olympic programme for London 2012. For such a selection to be endorsed, however, a two-thirds majority is needed, since any "non-Olympic" sport must become an Olympic sport and listed as such in the Olympic Charter under Rule 46. Ultimately, neither squash nor karate obtained this two thirds majority and will therefore not be included for London 2012. Full figures of the rounds of voting are listed below:

[Squash and karate won in the elimination of the five non olympic sports but]
Vote on the Inclusion of Squash in Rule 46 of the Olympic Charter
Yes: 39
No: 63
Squash is not included in Rule 46 of the Olympic Charter

Vote on the Inclusion of Karate on Rule 46 of the Olympic Charter
Yes: 38
No: 63
Karate is not included in Rule 46 of the Olympic Charter

This sets out the 33 criteria used to benchmark the sports
http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_813.pdf 658 kb

And this is the rather large document that took 2 years to put together and was presented to the IOC members at the 117th IOC Session in Singapore in July 2005.

http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_953.pdf 2076 kb

So which sports outside the other 5 considered by the IOC in 2005 meet the Fresh and Relevant criteria in your opinion??

If you look at the winter Olympics after the 1994 games in Albertville the IOC have consistenly added sports from the winter extreme sports games. BMX being introduced this year might mean a change has started for the summer games.

Any sport that the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport because another International tournament holds more kudos then it should not be included..

ie. Tennis have international tournaments of bigger significance (so drop it)
Soccer have a world cup (so drop it)
Cricket have a world cup (should not be in)
Rugby has world cup (Should not be in)

ie BBall had a bigger competition (the NBA) but not International teams competing (dont drop it) I know BBall has the world championships but it runs a distant second to the olympics while the other sports I mentioned the olympics are second in importance.

Baseball has a much stronger argument that it should be IN over tennis.

If Handball gets a gig then so should netball IMO

Baseball/softball - pity to see it go. It's much more competitive than what cricket would be (except for softball). A few Asian and Central American countries would be pissed.

i'd disagree there. in 20/20 it's a bit of a lottery. any of the top 8 nations could win, with nothing really seperating the top 4 or 5.

in baseball cuba have dominated since its inception.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any sport that the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport because another International tournament holds more kudos then it should not be included..

ie. Tennis have international tournaments of bigger significance (so drop it)
Soccer have a world cup (so drop it)
Cricket have a world cup (should not be in)
Rugby has world cup (Should not be in)

ie BBall had a bigger competition (the NBA) but not International teams competing (dont drop it) I know BBall has the world championships but it runs a distant second to the olympics while the other sports I mentioned the olympics are second in importance.

Baseball has a much stronger argument that it should be IN over tennis.

If Handball gets a gig then so should netball IMO
By that argument we should also drop Hockey(Champions Trophy).

I believe soccer should stay in. As someone said before, what you could do what make it like Rugby 7s and have less playerson the pitch, and have the game go for less.

By that argument we should also drop Hockey(Champions Trophy).
I believe soccer should stay in. As someone said before, what you could do what make it like Rugby 7s and have less playerson the pitch, and have the game go for less.

Is that trophy more important than Gold medals? If so, then yes, drop hockey as well.

The soccer's doing itself no favours by being included in the watered-down form it is. Better off out of it altogether.

I think 20/20 cricket's a real chance of being included in a few years. Would increase the Olympics' appeal in India, I could see the IOC going for that one.

Lets go back to that 1900 classic event, Live Pigeon Shooting.

Aussie Donald Mackintosh won a bronze in this event. Interestingly enough Olympic historian Harry Gordon in his book "Australia and the Olympic Games" written in 1994, has a copy of a letter from the IOC confirming Mackintosh's medal as well as a gold he won "in a controversial event, game shooting, which has officially and erroneously been considered as an archery event according to some sources."

The AOC count these 2 medals as our total of 399 we had before these games

But if you look at the Beijing site and this info on Australia, at this page
http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/BIO/NOC/AUS.shtml

or the Wiki pages, or NBC's official site and even David Wallechinsky in his Olympic bible "The complete book of the Olympics" no longer recognises the event and the two medals. Wallechinsky last recognised the event in his 1996 edition. A bit of a retrospective political correctness adjustment I think.

The soccer's doing itself no favours by being included in the watered-down form it is. Better off out of it altogether.

I think 20/20 cricket's a real chance of being included in a few years. Would increase the Olympics' appeal in India, I could see the IOC going for that one.

You need a 2/3rds majority vote of the of the IOC members to vote any new sport in. 2/3rds of the IOC members have never seen a game of cricket. I linked a document that states the 33 criteria which all sports are assessed on. Cricket fails to meet many of those criteria.

You need a 2/3rds majority vote of the of the IOC members to vote any new sport in. 2/3rds of the IOC members have never seen a game of cricket.
That wasn't the point. I meant I could see them going "popular in India, you say? It's in then. Whatever the hell it is."

I linked a document that states the 33 criteria which all sports are assessed on. Cricket fails to meet many of those criteria.
Fairy nuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sports that should be Olympic events

Remove this Banner Ad

Back