SSP Final Spot?

Who should get the last rookie spot?

• Mykelti Lefau

• Mitch Schofield

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s a couple” of clips of Schofield , not dissimilar to Bauer , lean natural forward that gets to right spots . WAFL is nothing like afl , nil congestion , no zone defense, so not much sample crashing packs at all . He’s a nice kick and prob worth a shot in hope that one of him or Bauer make it
Bauer could become 3rd tall in defence too I guess

Yeah, not many goals though. And half decent big men often dominate the wide open spaces of the WAFL.
He came equal 7th in the competition for goals scored. Forwards don't kick as many goals as they used to these days no matter what league. He was also top 10 for marks in the competition as well.

I don’t like that they’re asking Lefau to train on. That’s not because I don’t like Lefau as a player. I don’t mind him. However, what more does he need to show us?

He’s in his mid-20s and has been with our VFL team for 2 years now. He’s already played more than enough games for us to judge him with, so we should already know whether we want him or not. If we want him, then we should’ve selected him in the rookie draft and not waste his time. If not, then we shouldn’t have given him hope by bringing him on as a train-on player.

Some may argue that we’re doing this in case he gets injured in the preseason, but we shouldn’t select players we’re not willing to put the time into. If the injury is serious and before the SSP deadline, then we can put him on the inactive list and select someone else. If it’s after, then we would’ve already made a call on an SSP player anyway.

I don’t know about Schofield so we’ll have to see how he goes.

Seriously? It's a chance to get on an AFL list. How often does something like that come along?

His form in the back half of this season once he went into midfield was impressive but didn't stand out but give him a couple of months training against the likes of Dusty, Hopper and Taranto and who knows he could be a diamond in the rough, he could also be nowhere near good enough.

It's his chance to prove it either way.

Seems like very much a Mihocek type of selection if he gets the position
wouldnt mind knowing how mihocek went the year before he was drafted

Played mainly key defence for Port Melbourne and smashed it in their team that beat us in the Grand Final. Cost me precisely $24,000 the absolute campaigner.

Seems like very much a Mihocek type of selection if he gets the position
wouldnt mind knowing how mihocek went the year before he was drafted

2016–2017[edit]​

Mihocek met with Port Melbourne coach Gary Ayres in the offseason, and crossed over to Port Melbourne for the 2016 season searching for team success.[11] Mihocek played 33 games for Port Melbourne over 2 seasons and kicking 15 goals. He had an impressive first season and was awarded the Jack McFarlane medal for the club's best and fairest in 2016. Mihocek's 2017 season was interrupted by injury, but he returned in the second half of the season and played a key role Port Melbourne's 2017 VFL Premiership. Mihocek primarily played in defence and excelled in the role, but he was also very capable when asked to play up forward.[12] He was looked at by several AFL clubs at the end of the 2016 season as a rookie draft selection, but it wasn't until the conclusion of the 2017 season that AFL side Collingwood contacted Mihocek and informed him that he would be selected by the club in the rookie draft,[citation needed] and he was ultimately the selected with pick #22 as a key defender.

Seriously? It's a chance to get on an AFL list. How often does something like that come along?

His form in the back half of this season once he went into midfield was impressive but didn't stand out but give him a couple of months training against the likes of Dusty, Hopper and Taranto and who knows he could be a diamond in the rough, he could also be nowhere near good enough.

This is less about Lefau and more about the club. Either they like him for a rookie spot or they don’t based on the last two years. They should just make a decision based on that. Just as an FYI, I’d be happy with Lefau on our senior list.

I’m not bringing this up just because of this situation alone. Tbh, the final SSP spot itself isn’t that big of a deal. The issue is that overthinking has become a pattern within our club recently (especially this year). For example, we unnecessarily drag out choosing/announcing our captain almost every year nowadays, and we overthink our last kick inside 50 frequently. We even dragged out choosing Hardwick’s replacement by doing more than needed IMO.

We just need to go back to decisive decision-making. Otherwise, it’ll look like we lack strong leadership and/or confidence at the club. Well, to me at least, because I think that good leadership makes timely (i.e., relatively quick) decisions while giving due consideration. Two years should be more than enough for due consideration. We made decisions on Tylar Young and Trezise with less time in our VFL program, so that’s what I prefer.

RICHMOND has invited East Perth forward Mitch Schofield and New Zealander Mykelti Lefau to train with the club during the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP).

The pair started training with Adem Yze's squad on Monday morning – beginning life at Punt Road with the 2km time trial – and are expected to be given until at least Christmas to earn a shot on the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t like that they’re asking Lefau to train on. That’s not because I don’t like Lefau as a player. I don’t mind him. However, what more does he need to show us?

He’s in his mid-20s and has been with our VFL team for 2 years now. He’s already played more than enough games for us to judge him with, so we should already know whether we want him or not. If we want him, then we should’ve selected him in the rookie draft and not waste his time. If not, then we shouldn’t have given him hope by bringing him on as a train-on player.

Some may argue that we’re doing this in case he gets injured in the preseason, but we shouldn’t select players we’re not willing to put the time into. If the injury is serious and before the SSP deadline, then we can put him on the inactive list and select someone else. If it’s after, then we would’ve already made a call on an SSP player anyway.

I don’t know about Schofield so we’ll have to see how he goes.
Maybe its because they are torn between he and Schofield and its more about seeing what the latter has top offer up close and personal.

Maybe its because they are torn between he and Schofield and its more about seeing what the latter has top offer up close and personal.
Yeah could be. Maybe they are sure about Lefau but are on the fence about whether Schofield is good enough. Maybe their preference is a KPF.

Makes sense. It won’t take long to see whether Schofield is worth a list spot IMO. KPFs are probably the easiest to make a call on. Either they have the tools to make it or not. That’s why we cut Bradtke off so quickly

Before lefau did his knee he looked quite a likely prospect , thought he was so so last year . Mitch scho in brief snippets looked below Bauer for mine , at state level he takes contested marks , I saw no evidence of that in WA clips . They were brief tho and he may well be ok . Interesting call , I’d have lefau as favourite

You only get one shot lets hope he doesn't choke on
1701228083477.jpeg

Best of luck, what a great opportunity for some of these kids.

RICHMOND has invited East Perth forward Mitch Schofield and New Zealander Mykelti Lefau to train with the club during the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP).

The pair started training with Adem Yze's squad on Monday morning – beginning life at Punt Road with the 2km time trial – and are expected to be given until at least Christmas to earn a shot on the rookie list.

Would be a boost if this guy looked sneaky good , not at all confident lefau would make it , tho something tells me he’s fav , his skill set is a huge bodied quick big small forward with his tackling and pressure , would that work at afl ?

Would be a boost if this guy looked sneaky good , not at all confident lefau would make it , tho something tells me he’s fav , his skill set is a huge bodied quick big small forward with his tackling and pressure , would that work at afl ?
It worked for Townsend who didn't really have a better career due to lack of pace, a bit like Caddy. The skillset was there, but pace killed them. Lefau might not have their skillset, but at 195cm he is a target and his pace at ground level would worry any defender.

Not sure he would be a small forward, more medium to big if he was asked to play that way. Stick him at FF, an old fashioned lead out and make them earn it full forward, Plugger style.

It worked for Townsend who didn't really have a better career due to lack of pace, a bit like Caddy. The skillset was there, but pace killed them. Lefau might not have their skillset, but at 195cm he is a target and his pace at ground level would worry any defender.

Not sure he would be a small forward, more medium to big if he was asked to play that way. Stick him at FF, an old fashioned lead out and make them earn it full forward, Plugger style.
He is not a target though, he's a poor mark and doesn't have the skills of a good small forward.

He is not a target though, he's a poor mark and doesn't have the skills of a good small forward.
He's a target because he goes hard at the ball and clears a path. He may not mark it, but he will bring it to ground, and then he is dangerous because of his speed and tackling ability.

Skill set of a good small forward is an oxymoron at Richmond. Small forward craft is almost non-existent, with players like Mansell, who has no forward craft at all preferred over a player like Cumberland. MRJ may have forward craft but was made to chase and tackle instead. Hopefully this won't be the formula this season.

It's hard to judge Lefau anyway. It always takes time after an ACL. A summer training at the top level will be a massive advantage for him. Time will tell.

He's a target because he goes hard at the ball and clears a path. He may not mark it, but he will bring it to ground, and then he is dangerous because of his speed and tackling ability.

Skill set of a good small forward is an oxymoron at Richmond. Small forward craft is almost non-existent, with players like Mansell, who has no forward craft at all preferred over a player like Cumberland. MRJ may have forward craft but was made to chase and tackle instead. Hopefully this won't be the formula this season.

It's hard to judge Lefau anyway. It always takes time after an ACL. A summer training at the top level will be a massive advantage for him. Time will tell.
Has he ever dominated VFL? I cant recall a time he did?

Also very harsh on Mansell, actually just plain wrong mate

Has he ever dominated VFL? I cant recall a time he did?

Also very harsh on Mansell, actually just plain wrong mate
Filau had some good game at the end of the year in the VFL, but no he never dominated. He is fairly new to the game but with his mental and physical approach who knows. Not advocating him playing round 1. He is training with us for a reason, they must see something in him.

Mansell played 17 games and 6 of them between 11 and 13 possessions, 11 games 10 and under.
6 of those games he had 0-1 tackle.
9 games with 0 goals, and 7 with 1. How is that forward craft.

I like Mansell, he could be a player up the ground, wing his best bet. But he is not a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

SSP Final Spot?

Back