Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Could understand if you were 10-2 or 9-3 and at the pointy end of the ladder. The fact is you are 5-8 and sit in 14th and are only 2 or 3 losses away from being completely out of contention for finals.

Being happy playing a ugly and boring brand of football for the odd win is a strange hill to die on.
What are you talking about? I'm saying, if you don't like it then don't watch. No one is forcing anyone to watch. Your response had nothing to do with the conversation.

Interesting that 3 of them are under Ross and 1 is in our heyday with Roo, Dal and co.

But all the Ross lovers are adamant it’s the cattle not the boss.
Pretty sure they're all under Ross?

But you can't blame Ross for the epic 2002 half time score of StK 2.2 v Syd 1.4 under the roof, I suppose. :)
There's something about St Kilda and that venue at night under the roof.

But you can't blame Ross for the epic 2002 half time score of StK 2.2 v Syd 1.4 under the roof, I suppose. :)
heard it gets really wet there when the roof's shut, they should keep it open!

**** me you’re right. Thought it was someone else in 08

I still think Ross will pull them out of the slightly tough spot they are currently in ….. I think people forget this guy as coach has made it to a grand final on more than one occasion and is widely accepted as one of the best tactical coaches

Yeah it's an out of date playing style that's painful to watch and they have been poor this year but he did still coach them to 13 wins and 9 losses after how many years out of the finals?

List is average at best I don't think any other coach would do that much better with it.

Yeah it's an out of date playing style that's painful to watch and they have been poor this year but he did still coach them to 13 wins and 9 losses after how many years out of the finals?

List is average at best I don't think any other coach would do that much better with it.
3. We played (and won) finals in 2020.

This is one of the big things. 2020 and 2023 we finished 6th.

The core of the list isn’t that bad in spite of what many saints supporters would say.

It needs some work for sure, our midfield is shit for one but it’s not a mile off overall.

Should have been the Sunday game, and Cats vs Swans should have been last night. Please don't put St Kilda on at prime.time ever again 😴
Whilst Lyon has the right to implement whatever game plan he sees fit, this is one possible negative. The fixture might cost sponsorship opportunities if the games are boring.

My club isn't good to watch as we are at almost historic levels of poor performance, so we can expect no prime time games, and a lot of Sunday afternoon fixtures.

Interesting that 3 of them are under Ross and 1 is in our heyday with Roo, Dal and co.

But all the Ross lovers are adamant it’s the cattle not the boss.
I'm no Ross lover but I'm not sure you can blame Ross for all of it.

The North game from last year on the list as an example. We kicked 16 behinds and North kicked 10. Ross didn't perform some voodoo to get everyone missing goals so the score could be low.

Last night was obviously partly coaching impacted - but responsibility should also fall on Hardwick how Gold Coast chipped it around which was a change from their usual style and something they also implemented against Sandy early in the day. Also, the style we played created 57 inside 50s, so obviously there was some intention to score and it was an execution issue contributing to the low score.

I'm no Ross lover but I'm not sure you can blame Ross for all of it.

The North game from last year on the list as an example. We kicked 16 behinds and North kicked 10. Ross didn't perform some voodoo to get everyone missing goals so the score could be low.

Last night was obviously partly coaching impacted - but responsibility should also fall on Hardwick how Gold Coast chipped it around which was a change from their usual style and something they also implemented against Sandy early in the day. Also, the style we played created 57 inside 50s, so obviously there was some intention to score and it was an execution issue contributing to the low score.
I’ve laboured the point to a painful degree that it’s not all on Ross. We’re bad in a stack of places right now.

Our midfeild and forwards have piss all connection.

Once that is sorted out the goals will flow.

57 inside 50s is an attacking side, just the skills are not there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve laboured the point to a painful degree that it’s not all on Ross. We’re bad in a stack of places right now.
The past few weeks, we seem to be improving the midfield and backline to a degree. But the forward line seems to get worse as a result.

Our midfeild and forwards have piss all connection.

Once that is sorted out the goals will flow.

57 inside 50s is an attacking side, just the skills are not there
The skills are atrocious. I dont think I've ever seen a worse mid/fwd connection than what we have right now. So many great opportunities wasted that any half decent side would turn into a goal.

Should have been the Sunday game, and Cats vs Swans should have been last night. Please don't put St Kilda on at prime.time ever again 😴
Couldn't agree more...

I mean Swans are currently goalless with 9 mins to go until half time.

Let's get that on prime time

You keep blaming Ross Lyon but the reality is we haven't been able to kick a big score since Alan Richardson. Is that Ross Lyons fault as well?
Yes and no.

Saints are one of those weird sides. If they are good, its because the coach and the players are clicked and made it work. If the saints lose, everyone has to be blamed. Saints made finals last season. They could of and should of beaten GWS in that elim final at the MCG last season.

Saints scored 7.9 51 to Suns 7.6.48. at docklands.

game before that, Saints scored 12.10.82. That would be enough to be a fair amount of sides. Had the Saints kicked 14.8.92 regularly, that would be enough to beat most sides in the current AFL climate.
Exactly and Dimma lost that game for them, Freo figured us out, why didn't Dimma look at that game and copy their gameplan. Poor from GCS.
I dont think the suns played good enough last night to beat your mob.

When Freo beat the saints, the dockers kicked 9.18.72. Horrible kicking. Could of kicked 15.12.102 and the mindset is changed. Freo kicked 22.9.141 vs the demons in the Northern Territory last week.
What FA or out of contract gun is calling their manager and saying get me to the Saints after watching that brand of football tonight.
The 4 points won’t take them anywhere in the grander scheme of things other than further away from the elite level talent in the draft.
It’s just hard to see what that type of rubbish tonight really achieves …

To be honest.... In the short term, So in 2024, 2025 and 2026, I would rather have the saints squad rather than some of the other sides in the bottom 6 like North, Eagles and Crows.

Despite the Brand of footy the saints have played this round, you would be shocked which players would join the saints.

Players salary cap is $17,700,000 in 2025. 95 percent of that is $16,815,000. I know this might sound crazy. I think some B or C graders are willing to join the saints on $600-$700,000 a year on 3 or 4 or 5 year deals.

You asked the Question. What free Agent or out of contract gun is calling their manager and say I wanna join the saints?

Only Free Agents I see joining the saints at this point are 31 or 32 year olds that want a big fat final pay cheque. Even though he is from WA or from Peel Thunder in the WAFL, I can see a bloke like Kamdyn McIntosh join them on $700 or $800,000 a year for 2 or 3 years and help them make and win finals in 2025-27.

This team got Brad Crouch as a free agent on a 5 year deal at $600-$700,000 a year.

Could understand if you were 10-2 or 9-3 and at the pointy end of the ladder. The fact is you are 5-8 and sit in 14th and are only 2 or 3 losses away from being completely out of contention for finals.

Being happy playing a ugly and boring brand of football for the odd win is a strange hill to die on.
Solid post.

But yeah some fans and teams can tolerate low scoring and dour footy if the club is 10-2 or 9-3 or even 8-4 after 12 games.

Being Happy to playing ugly and a boring brand of footy for the Odd win isnt a strange hill to die on. Especially if you are rotating 2 or 3 younger players off the bench each game.

Its way better than being North Melbourne since round 3 of the 2020 season. 9 wins since round 3 of 2020 isnt great for North Melbourne.

3 wins and 14 losses in 2020, including 2 wins in the opening 2 games of the season.

4 wins and a draw and 17 losses in 2021.

2 wins and 20 losses in 2022

3 wins and 20 losses in 2023

1 win and 11 losses so far for North in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back