St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say Brisbane getting another top 3 pick for next to nothing is more unfair than them having to pay a fair price at short notice.

Sure, but the AFL shouldn’t allow future pick trading if it wants to change draft rules on the fly.

The fact that one club is getting the INTENDED benefits of the system isn’t a good enough reason to rug pull all of the clubs who have made list decisions over a year in advance.

Sure, but the AFL shouldn’t allow future pick trading if it wants to change draft rules on the fly.

The fact that one club is getting the INTENDED benefits of the system isn’t a good enough reason to rug pull all of the clubs who have made list decisions over a year in advance.
The only list management decisions being made in advance were by teams expecting the rort to be going on for another year.

Brisbane traded for one future 4th round pick last year. The idea that teams had highly intricate plans in place to match bids this year is made up.

The only list management decisions being made in advance were by teams expecting the rort to be going on for another year.

Brisbane traded for one future 4th round pick last year. The idea that teams had highly intricate plans in place to match bids this year is made up.

I obviously don’t agree for reasons which have nothing to do with Brisbane being masters of rorting the draft.

But at the end of the day the rorts continue and all is well.

I obviously don’t agree for reasons which have nothing to do with Brisbane being masters of rorting the draft.

But at the end of the day the rorts continue and all is well.

Like I try to tell my own supporters, we might think these things are wonderful when they are benefitting our club, but the resentment builds amongst other clubs and eventually the AFL overreacts the other way.

Yes, teams made list management decisions based on the current rules at the time. What rules are they supposed to base decisions on?

Brisbane traded a future second last year, which they might not have done if they knew in advance would need more points this year.
Richmond brought in one future second and two future thirds, some of which are likely to be exchanged for Brisbane's first round pick.

I think the idea you have that teams make trades without thinking beyond the current year is naive.

Yes, teams made list management decisions based on the current rules at the time. What rules are they supposed to base decisions on?

Brisbane traded a future second last year, which they might not have done if they knew in advance would need more points this year.
Richmond brought in one future second and two future thirds, some of which are likely to be exchanged for Brisbane's first round pick.

I think the idea you have that teams make trades without thinking beyond the current year is naive.

I am aware some teams made trades last year thinking they were going to continue to exploit the rort that is the current bidding system.

The idea that a fair bidding system brought in at short notice, while still having exclusive access to Ashcroft, would be 'unfair' to Brisbane is complete nonsense.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back