St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit rich considering that joke of a deal you did with Gold Coast a few years back. Burned the pick but that's beside the point.
If clubs get themselves into cap danger and need to shed weight to avoid sanctions that is 1. Their own fault and 2. Someone else is going to benefit.

Not sure how that is a bit "rich". Bassat's whinging was misplaced to begin with. Father Sons... Really???

I can cop the academies as a gripe. 14/18 don't have one of them.

ah found it
$2Mill that the Bloos never paid back, on top of cash advances to keep the club afloat

Didn't you pay Martin over $1m?
and don't bother with the annual distributions until you can break down the numbers and tell me the "handout" portion

ship together!!

haha we played in the 4 previous season-opening games, but didn't host a single one
Blues finished last 2006
2007 - opening round
2007 season, blues 2nd last Richmond last
2008 - Opening round and on and on for a decade

and look, I didn't have to resort to calling you names or insulting your fan base.

I have no issue saying my club has been poor the last 10 years, but pretending Carlton got themselves out of their salary cap plight without AFL assistance is hogwash and deserved the raft of very favorable fixtures on merit is pure fantasy

There's an old saying ..... never argue with an idiot as they will just lower you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Martin's contract was heavily front-loaded which resulted in him getting around 70% of his money in the first two years.

(a) FA compensation is a major part of the problem even if you don't think it is, every club after the compo pick gets penalised in the draft order even though they have done nothing wrong - its rubbish !!

(b) Curnow was out injured for two years with an orthopaedic bungle, as for key forwards taking time, King was drafted in 2018 so its not like he hasn't had ample time to find some consistent evidence of his application & ability

(c) your mob saluted for the one & only time in 1966, since then, the Ottoman Empire have saluted a mere eight (8) times which is something you can only dream about, I understand your envy
(a) Certainly flawed yes, but still an equalisation measure that is doing its job, if not a bit overzealously.

(b) And Max hasn't dealt with injuries too? In the seasons where he's been fit, he's shown more than Curnow did at the same point in his career. No doubt the jury is still out, but coming after the big contract is dumb. I bet you would've criticised the club if we'd let him go somehwere else too.

(c) You know the Ottoman Empire doesn't exist anymore right? And hasn't for a veeerry long time. Much like Carlton's glory days... You (and everyone else) use 1966 as a weapon against us, without realising that Saints fans don't actually GAF. It was 60 years ago, no one's hanging their hat on it like you seem to think. Or like you do with premierships from 40 years ago. We've been shit forever but at least we know it. Your lot has been shit forever and can't accept it. Most delusional club in the league.

Hah moving a team to a tiny market like Canberra will make it LESS likely to need propping up?

Hey now, no need for the Canberra slander.

• Population within an hour closing in on 600k
  • Very wealthy population
  • ~$3m in annual government funding
  • Much more favourable stadium deal than Marvel

St Kilda (or any small team) could do a lot worse than Canberra.

There's an old saying ..... never argue with an idiot as they will just lower you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Martin's contract was heavily front-loaded which resulted in him getting around 70% of his money in the first two years.
more name-calling, is it a vocabulary issue?

Blues paying Martin a mill a year = good
Saints paying Max an undisclosed sum = bad

got it

Hey now, no need for the Canberra slander.

• Population within an hour closing in on 600k
  • Very wealthy population
  • ~$3m in annual government funding
  • Much more favourable stadium deal than Marvel

St Kilda (or any small team) could do a lot worse than Canberra.

I like Canberra! I was there last week, always a good time.

But compared to Tassie (which was already a marginal business case):

• About twice the population
  • Not historically as strong a footy culture
  • More transient population - lots of expats there for only a few years
  • Fewer strong local businesses, economy based on politics and rent-seekers rather than real value
  • About half the attendances at AFL games in the state/territory

I’m sure it will be fine to have a team there at some point, just not sure the AFL has the financial strength to subsidise another one right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Canberra! I was there last week, always a good time.

For Floriade? It was pumping this year.

But compared to Tassie (which was already a marginal business case):

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think we have a better business case than Tasmania (once we have a business case). And we'll do better off-field once the shine of the new team wears off.

• About twice the population

This is the key one. Greater Canberra has more twice the population of Greater Hobart. And we're growing much quicker. I know Tasmania is measured for its total population, but in terms of who can regularly attend games, Canberra has twice the catchment.

And that's just the immediate catchment. The wider capital region and southern NSW, for which Canberra would become the closest team, is closing in on 1 million people.

• Not historically as strong a footy culture

Not as historically strong as Tasmania, but we do have a strong footy culture.

We were considered an Aussie Rules town before being neglected. We were similar to Tasmania in their story of neglect, just we're on the Barassi Line, so easier for rugby to move in.

We were the first non-Victorian jurisdiction to apply for a VFL/AFL team (with at least five unsuccessful attempts).

We were literally the birthplace of the founder of the code, Tom Wills. Not to mention one of the most famous marks (Jesaulenko).

We would also be tied with the Riverina, which has an incredibly strong footy culture.

Not as strong as Tasmania, but we're not just some northern outpost.

• More transient population - lots of expats there for only a few years

Fair. But at the rate Canberra is growing, it's evident that more and more are staying. Christmas used to be a ghost town a decade ago, and that's no longer the case.

A transient population also helps for interstate memberships. Plenty might have us as a second team if they've lived here for a few years.

• Fewer strong local businesses, economy based on politics and rent-seekers rather than real value

Economy is actually our real advantage over Tasmania. Our median income is 78% higher than Tasmania. Our GSP is 26% higher (and that doesn't include any of our NSW suburbs). Canberrans are significantly wealthier than Tasmanians, which means they have greater means to buy tickets, memberships and merch.

As for businesses, we are the hub of contractors. So many contractors pay big bucks to get their brand in front of Government departments. Canberra will benefit from that.

Albo and Dillon were both at the last game in Canberra. That's invaluable facetime and something most other teams couldn't replicate.

• About half the attendances at AFL games in the state/territory

Not sure what you mean by that. The average at Manuka is greater than the average at Bellerive. And our crowds are capped with a low capacity. We had three games this year and all three were sold out. Luckily we're getting a stadium upgrade for a BBL team.

I’m sure it will be fine to have a team there at some point, just not sure the AFL has the financial strength to subsidise another one right now.

Financially, Canberra will be stronger than the Giants and Suns. I think they'll also be stronger than the Devils.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back