Opinion St Kilda Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prime Luke Ball was elite A grade.

As good as any mid in the comp.

Op really ruined what would’ve been an elite career.

I still consider him a star and a saint even though he probably considers himself a pie.

Gresham I have long moved on from him and wouldn’t have him anywhere near the side.
Seen some comments about Ball (and not picking Judd) in another thread too, and I genuinely think people forget how bloody good pre OP Luke Ball was.

Second year was runner-up in our B+F (in a team that was a kick off a GF - and IMO the best Saints side of my lifetime)
Third year was B+F & AA (in a team that was 30 bad minutes of football off a GF)
Named captain going into his fourth year

Those first three years were as good as anything Naicos has done.

Was an absolute freak cruelled by bad injury management.* Probably goes number 1 in any draft other than 2000 or 2001.

*And I say this hating everything about that traitorous pr**k

Seen some comments about Ball (and not picking Judd) in another thread too, and I genuinely think people forget how bloody good pre OP Luke Ball was.

Second year was runner-up in our B+F (in a team that was a kick off a GF - and IMO the best Saints side of my lifetime)
Third year was B+F & AA (in a team that was 30 bad minutes of football off a GF)
Named captain going into his fourth year

Those first three years were as good as anything Naicos has done.

Was an absolute freak cruelled by bad injury management.* Probably goes number 1 in any draft other than 2000 or 2001.

*And I say this hating everything about that traitorous pr**k
Agree 100% with everything you said.

He still goes down as 1 of my favourite players of all time.

For some reason I didn’t hate him even when he left even under the shit circumstances.

Riewoldt
Ball
Hayes
Dal Santo
koschitke
Clarke
McGuire

I was so sure this young group was going to win us a flag.

So many good memories from this young core.

A good starting point is B&F winners and All-Australians

2000s B&F winners: Thompson, Everitt, Riewoldt, Hayes, Ball, Baker, S Fisher, Steven, Ross, Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie.

2000s AAs: Hayes, Riewoldt, Gehrig, A Jones, Ball, Dal Santo, S Fisher, Montagna, Goddard, Dempster, Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie.

A good starting point is B&F winners and All-Australians

2000s B&F winners: Thompson, Everitt, Riewoldt, Hayes, Ball, Baker, S Fisher, Steven, Ross, Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie.

2000s AAs: Hayes, Riewoldt, Gehrig, A Jones, Ball, Dal Santo, S Fisher, Montagna, Goddard, Dempster, Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie.
Based on those criteria, and adding in another metric of "Club Captain", that brings us to a team of 22:

FB: Baker, Wilkie, Dempster
HB: A Jones, S Fisher, Sinclair
C: Dal Santo, Steele, Goddard
HF: Montagna, Riewoldt, Steven
FF: Hamill (captain 03), Gehrig, Milne (missed from the initial list, AA in 11 & 12)
R: Everitt, Hayes, Harvey (missed from the initial list, AA in 03)
Int: Ball, Thompson, Ross, Geary (captain 17-20)

It definitely makes for a good team, although there is a bit of All-Australian selection happening with Montagna and Steven named in the forward line.

Based on those criteria, and adding in another metric of "Club Captain", that brings us to a team of 22:

FB: Baker, Wilkie, Dempster
HB: A Jones, S Fisher, Sinclair
C: Dal Santo, Steele, Goddard
HF: Montagna, Riewoldt, Steven
FF: Hamill (captain 03), Gehrig, Milne (missed from the initial list, AA in 11 & 12)
R: Everitt, Hayes, Harvey (missed from the initial list, AA in 03)
Int: Ball, Thompson, Ross, Geary (captain 17-20)

It definitely makes for a good team, although there is a bit of All-Australian selection happening with Montagna and Steven named in the forward line.

How did I forget Banger and Milne? Oops.

Did he seriously only play that few? If so there's 0 chance. Perhaps our Carlton friend is remembering his games in blue...

Burkey was retired by end of 2003? If we extended it to 1990 I'd agree with you but hard to justify him with just the last 3 years.

Unless we're incorporating their whole career even if they just played 1 game this century for us.

But then you'd be considering Spida Everitt and Stewie Loewe

That was the gws supporter. I wouldn't have a player that played 31 games this century otherwise like you said stewie loewe would be a walk-up

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion St Kilda Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back