Review St Kilda v Collingwood Rd 3 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, really he could have had 4 scoring shots in the first half. He took that mark then unselfishly passed to Steven for our first goal.
He probably shouldn't have even taken that last shot of his in the 2nd half. He was in la la land & seeing stars so I can understand why he missed it

Jonathan Brown on the couch is very impressed with big Paddy and thinks he'll definitely live up to the number 1 draft expectations.

What would he know about being a forward in the modern game?

Surely a player who breaks jaws from behind and a thug from the 80's would know more about it than Brown, who only played in three consecutive premierships this century.

He probably shouldn't have even taken that last shot of his in the 2nd half. He was in la la land & seeing stars so I can understand why he missed it
True. Point is, he was in the position to get those 4 scoring opportunities, against a reasonably well respected defender in Reid.

Something I have wanted to do for a while was go through a game and gif out both the great highlights, but also the little things that impress that get lost after a game. I think both are important. I'm just going to do the first quarter for now, and if people want the rest of the game I'd be happy to sit through it a fourth time to do this again. It might also be better as its own thread to avoid slow loading times for people in this thread? Mods let me know. For now, here are some of the things I enjoyed seeing.

1. Josh Bruce kicks a goal from outside 50
GaSKexl.gif

2. Half back to goal square in less than 10 seconds. Sinclair and Riewoldt with beautiful kicks.
xXbTrlG.gif

3. Seb Ross with a brilliant kick under pressure. When did he learn to have disposal like this?
Z342SMs.gif

4. Incredibly well weighted pass by Roberton. Anyone that's played footy knows how hard it is to do on that angle across your body.
7x6GYB0.gif

Edit: Are some of these not showing up for some people? They work in the post preview but fail in the actual post for me. Strange. Only some of them.

Nah love it mate. Just an idea to maybe put spoiler tags around the gifs - not to prevent actual spoilers, but so people can open the spoiler if they want the images to load. It does put a fair strain on the browser.

Interestingly the coaches votes were rather split

9 Leigh Montagna
6 Seb Ross
5 Jack Newnes
3 Jack Billings
3 Luke Dunstan
3 Jack Steven
1 Maverick Weller

Joey 5-4
Ross 4-2
Newnes 5
Jack B 3
Jack s 3
Luke 2-1
Weller 1

Does that work out?

Jonathan Brown on the couch is very impressed with big Paddy and thinks he'll definitely live up to the number 1 draft expectations.

Its good when respected past players who know a thing or two about the game give an endorsement like that.

I've seen a huge difference from last year to this, mainly in terms of running and positioning which is really encouraging.

Big forwards take time - look at Hawkins who took 5 years, Paddy is in his second year so all is good

Loved his pack mark...

Having a cheeky re-watch

Clearly Shane Mcinerney was best for Collingwood

Hopefully going forward the Saints learned a couple important things

Lower your eyes kicking into forward line

Spread when you gain possession in defence giving outlets

Run & pressure the opposition at every contest not some.

9 Leigh Montagna
6 Seb Ross
5 Jack Newnes
3 Jack Billings
3 Luke Dunstan
3 Jack Steven
1 Maverick Weller

Joey 5-4
Ross 4-2
Newnes 5
Jack B 3
Jack s 3
Luke 2-1
Weller 1

Does that work out?
I took a look at that last night and someone has definitely gone big with one and not the other. Maybe Sebby received the other 5?

9 Leigh Montagna
6 Seb Ross
5 Jack Newnes
3 Jack Billings
3 Luke Dunstan
3 Jack Steven
1 Maverick Weller

Joey 5-4
Ross 4-2
Newnes 5
Jack B 3
Jack s 3
Luke 2-1
Weller 1

Does that work out?

No Dempster at all...

Wow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still haven't had the opportunity to see the game. I can't stream the replay while I'm outside of Australia. I can't wait until Sunday to watch the full game. I've watched the highlights about 15 times.

Just quietly, Nick Riewoldt went off at about the 20 minute mark of the 2nd quarter, but by that time he had amassed 11 disposals (at 100% DE), 7 marks, 2 goals and a whopping 86 ranking points!

Given how dominant we were in the 2nd half, it makes you wonder what sort of game he might have had had he not been concussed.

Last edited:
Just quietly, Nick Riewoldt went off at about the 20 minute mark of the 2nd quarter, but by that time he had amassed 11 disposals (at 100% DE), 7 marks, 2 goals and a whopping 86 ranking points!

Yeah i thought he went a long way to helping set us up for a win, and i admit that I was worried it would all go pear shaped when he came off.

I saw the replay of Roos snap goal and his over the top celebrating and my first thought was that he was getting rid of some personal demons
But, we weren't playing Melbourne...

Remove this Banner Ad

Review St Kilda v Collingwood Rd 3 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back