St Kilda v Freo NAB Cup - Unfair

Remove this Banner Ad

stanley86

All Australian
Aug 10, 2007
North East Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
why are freo forced to travel to melbourne for a 2nd week in a row and st kilda play at etihad for a 3rd week in a row when during the actual home and away the dockers and west coast travel more than anyone?

now im expecting a barrage about collingwoods lack of travel, but i think that the AFL could try to minimise the travel freo/west coast have to do in pre-season .. i just think its unfair. I also think its ordinary that the pies play richmond at visy park on friday night, I thought the nab challenge was to take the game to regional areas. As it turns out, coll/tiges/hawks etc are getting a better draw than fremantle although they are out of the "official" pre-season comp

feel sorry for freo and their fans
does anyone know if this is due to the ac/dc concerts?

why are freo forced to travel to melbourne for a 2nd week in a row and st kilda play at etihad for a 3rd week in a row when during the actual home and away the dockers and west coast travel more than anyone?

now im expecting a barrage about collingwoods lack of travel, but i think that the AFL could try to minimise the travel freo/west coast have to do in pre-season .. i just think its unfair. I also think its ordinary that the pies play richmond at visy park on friday night, I thought the nab challenge was to take the game to regional areas. As it turns out, coll/tiges/hawks etc are getting a better draw than fremantle although they are out of the "official" pre-season comp

feel sorry for freo and their fans
does anyone know if this is due to the ac/dc concerts?
yes it is due to acdc concerts, but who cares, we could use the experience there.

AC/DC are playing @ Subi which is why we have to travel to play at Etihad stadium, where a George Michael concert is being held mid-week...

I don't much care about the travel, Becuase in the end if we lose (probably most likely result) we will play home, have a bye before round 1 which is a home game against Adelaide.

BUT it is very poor organising by the AFL and this should never happen again, why can't AC/DC and George Michael goto the Myer Music bowl instead of ruining the ground... Tennis is over go play @ Rod Laver even.

[why can't AC/DC and George Michael goto the Myer Music bowl instead of ruining the ground... Tennis is over go play @ Rod Laver even.

Because neither of those places are in Perth where the AC/DC concert is?

I'm not happy about any non sporting events being held on sporting grounds. Djs play in clubs and bands play in bars and concert halls. Stop ****ing up professional sporting grounds.

I actually see this as a good thing for Freo. They are playing well ATM and have some good kids coming through and it is better to get the Melbourne experience and nerves out the way and the feeling they cant win here in the NAB Cup than the season proper. Freo will improve this year and win a few games in Melb during the season IMO.

Because neither of those places are in Perth where the AC/DC concert is?

Sorry i should have made that part clearer, I was meaning the previous concert held @ Etihad where AC/DC first ruined the surface... now they have another concert weeks later only 4 or whatever days before a game. Poor.

I don't think the travelling Freo do in the season is particularly unfair. The Melbourne teams have the rather large disadvantage that half their games are derbies.

Geelong probably have it easiest, as they often don't have to travel far and they have a distinct home ground advantage.

The NAB Cup means nothing really. It's nice as a Saints fan to be able to see us play every week, but it might be better for the team to travel a bit pre-season.

who cares mate, NAB cup is ALL about experience, even in the semis where teams will legit start to play better footy, still good for the group to travel together, especially for perth/adl sides that are young and upcoming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not fair on Freo to travel twice in a row but since when has the AFL's scheduling ever been fair?

Collingwood fans certainly don't complain when they get the rub of the green every year by playing more home games and travelling less than the average AFL team.

I was pretty pissed off yesterday, but there are positives.... so I am over it. I think we are going into the NAB cup pretty seriously, so I guess the disappointing part of it is that we went from being a 30% of winning the game at home... to a 8% chance of winning it away.

I don't think the travelling Freo do in the season is particularly unfair. The Melbourne teams have the rather large disadvantage that half their games are derbies.

Geelong probably have it easiest, as they often don't have to travel far and they have a distinct home ground advantage.

The NAB Cup means nothing really. It's nice as a Saints fan to be able to see us play every week, but it might be better for the team to travel a bit pre-season.

We only play 7 games at Skilled Stadium

Fremantle travel twice in a row with a 6 day break. Saints play 3 games in a row at Etihad.

I realise the AC/DC concert has Subiaco oval already booked. Maybe the AFL could of had some foresight and played the North Melbourne and Fremantle game at Subiaco.

Smacks of poor planning.

Subi being used?
then move it to the ****ing WACA ground
or is their a cricekt game on this weekend?

if so Move it to Fremantle Oval, we get NAB Cup games at Manuka Oval, Carrara (in previous years), Aurura Stadium so there wont be a problem of playing at Fremantle Oval.

It gives Fremantle their home field game because they deserve it more than St Kilda

Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs is also poor

Port just played at Subi now they have to turn around and head off to Etihad, that should be at AAMI Stadium (ACDC whenever it is, is at Adelaide Oval)

I think its unfair.

I would have preferred the Saints to travel to Perth - rest key players and give our kids the chance/experience at some travel.

Could care less if we lose a NAB Cup game.

Subi being used?

if so Move it to Fremantle Oval, we get NAB Cup games at Manuka Oval, Carrara (in previous years), Aurura Stadium so there wont be a problem of playing at Fremantle Oval.

It gives Fremantle their home field game because they deserve it more than St Kilda

Port Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs is also poor

Port just played at Subi now they have to turn around and head off to Etihad, that should be at AAMI Stadium (ACDC whenever it is, is at Adelaide Oval)

Fremantle Oval would probably be too small to host a NAB Cup semi final, not sure what the capacity is but it wouldn't be much over 15,000. There would probably be issues with the facilities, ticketing, parking etc. also, especially with such short notice.

As for the WACA, they haven't played AFL there for years and I'm not sure if the ground would still be suitable in terms of the surface, especially at this time of the year. There may well be cricket matches fixtured there anyway.

Subi being used?

Yes, there is cricket on at the WACA this week.

They can't play footy at the WACA anymore anyway, since the last round of redevelopments the ground is even smaller that the SCG.

Because St Kilda aren't half as good away from home and have been getting an arm chair ride for quite some time now (not that they can capitalise on it)

For a side like Collingwood who have been gifted a biased, uneven draw every year that enables them to travel less than all clubs (and therefore inflating Pies performance so they are guaranteed a top 4 spot....only to be smashed when the real stuff starts....:D) any comments about arm chair rides is hypocrisy at its best.

Look forward to smashing you in finals AGAIN.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda v Freo NAB Cup - Unfair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back