St Kilda v Freo NAB Cup - Unfair

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet Melbourne are coming over here

They must be driving and staying at the Trengove, Tapscott, Rivers, Jamar (or anyother South Australians) house for accomodation.

This isn't about travel, this is about getting the biggest crowds possible and that is done in Melbourne

if Fremantle and Port Adelaide win the game WILL be at Subiaco

otherwise, we're going to here another B*tch from Port/Fremantle for travelling to Melbourne again

and that would mean we would have had to travel to Perth twice in a fortnight

For a side like Collingwood who have been gifted a biased, uneven draw every year that enables them to travel less than all clubs (and therefore inflating Pies performance so they are guaranteed a top 4 spot....only to be smashed when the real stuff starts....:D) any comments about arm chair rides is hypocrisy at its best.

Look forward to smashing you in finals AGAIN.:thumbsu:

I think you'll find travelling would only help us - we have only lost 3 interstate game in 3 years (including finals):

Round 19 2009 v Adelaide W 21 pts
Round 12 2009 v Sydney W 23 pts
Round 9 2009 v West Coast W 22 pts
Round 4 2009 v Brisbane W 17 pts
EF 2008 v Adelaide W 29 pts
Round 22 2008 v Fremantle L 24 pts
Round 20 2008 v Port Adelaide W 31 pts
Round 14 2008 v Sydney W 29 pts
Round 2 2008 v Brisbane L 2 pts
SF 2007 v West Coast W 19 pts
Round 12 2007 v Sydney W 19 pts
Round 9 2007 v Brisbane W 33 pts
Round 2 2007 v West Coast L 12 pts

I wish we would travel more!

I don't think the travelling Freo do in the season is particularly unfair. The Melbourne teams have the rather large disadvantage that half their games are derbies.

Can anybody provide any light on this pretty bizarre statement? Or is it simply pulling the piss?

Travelling across the continent every second week has a huge impact on fatigue and recovery through interrupted routines and scheduling. Don't understand the second part of the statement either.

AS to the Etihad scenario this week, I agree the more experience we get there the better. The more difficult part is the short break and delayed return flight from Sunday preventing proper recovery between games. If we win (unlikely, but I'm an optimist) it will be fantastic!!

It's good preseason practice. To be honest I'm just thankfull that we finally will get a game on Free-to-Air.

The favouritism shown to Collingwood in the regular season pisses me off though...

It's funny how in this thread the only people whinging about Freo having to travel are non-Freo supporters....the Freo supporters love the idea, and rightfully so. The more games their kids play at Eithiad the better for them in the long run.

If we thought we were a chance for a premiership or at least playing deep into finals this season I think we'd have a whinge, but the more we play at Etihad at this stage the better it is for us in the long run.

Is the NAB GF venue still decided by who kicks the most goals in the first 3 weeks? If it is then that means if Port and Fremantle both win then Freo will play consecutive games at Etihaad then the GF at AAMI.

While the experience of travelling and playing at Etihad will be good for the younger players, any niggling injuries that are picked up will be harder to deal with.

Also, I want us to win this comp. We have never won anything in our history and we have to start somewhere. I saw the commitment of the Port players on Saturday night and I heard the commitment from both sides on Sunday (no free to air on tele) , so the players are taking it seriously.

The reality is the WAFL clubs are playing their own scratch matches each week now and most WAFL grounds are not up to scratch for holding larger crowds. We seriously need more infra structure in this state so that situations like this do not occur.

and that would mean we would have had to travel to Perth twice in a fortnight
and if we keep you happy Freo travels across the Nullabor 3 times in 3 weeks

what is worse
travelling 7,570KM in 3 weeks (would be the case if Freo travels to Adelaide in Final)
or
travelling 4,910KM in 3 weeks (would be the case if Port travles to Perth in Final)

I think it's fairly obvious looking at the travel distance that Fremantle would be worse off. So stop your complaining

It's funny how in this thread the only people whinging about Freo having to travel are non-Freo supporters....the Freo supporters love the idea, and rightfully so. The more games their kids play at Eithiad the better for them in the long run.

We accept that we are part of a national competition and realise that at times we must put up with the lopsided deals each team get's during the year.

I think most Freo fans are realistic as to the hard road ahead to lift the team to the top mantle ( it's been a hard road for 15 years !!!!), and are looking at all this travel with the view to the long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a shit situation but we accept it and make do. Means I can watch my team (couldn't go last week because with the missus) and bring some closure to the horror of Round 4, 2009. Worst night ever and I'm still scarred by it.

We need to learn to win in Melbourne and this gives us that opportunity so in that regard, I'm not complaining.

Not having a match during the year at the MCG on the other hand :thumbsdown:

It may be considered unfair by some, but in reality this is the best practise the Dockers can get. They would be fully aware of the lack of success they have had playing interstate, let's see if they can give another impressive account of themselves on the weekend.

It may be considered unfair by some, but in reality this is the best practise the Dockers can get. They would be fully aware of the lack of success they have had playing interstate, let's see if they can give another impressive account of themselves on the weekend.

The opportunity to play at Etihad in consecutive weeks is a positive, particularly as Fremantle are never allowed access to the ground prior to game day. The travel is far from ideal though. Returning to Perth on Monday and then back on Friday is a hard ask for any team. If their youngsters can put up a good showing against the Saints on the back of a tough week, it will hold them in good stead for the season proper.

Well in 2007 Brisbane had to travel for all four weeks of the NAB Cup (Cairns and Etihad x3). Probably the worst pre season travelling of any side. didn't even get one single game at Carrara, the AFL sent North there instead. That was tough on us and we started off the 2007 home and away season poorly.

Well in 2007 Brisbane had to travel for all four weeks of the NAB Cup (Cairns and Etihad x3). Probably the worst pre season travelling of any side. didn't even get one single game at Carrara, the AFL sent North there instead. That was tough on us and we started off the 2007 home and away season poorly.

Brisbane to Melbourne is only half the distance of Perth to Melbourne and there is not a 3 hour time difference to take into consideration. The travel will takes it's toll, hopefully Fremantle's recovery and medical staff can have them up and running by round 1.

A collingwood supporter complaining about the amount of travel we have to do, I've seen it all now.

In case you haven't noticed, Collingwood supporters all want to travel more. We always play better interstate than we do at the G, and certainly Etihad.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda v Freo NAB Cup - Unfair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back