AFLW Autopsy St Kilda Vs Sydney Swans Sunday Sept 8 RSEA Park @ 3:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
It's the :stkilda: vs the :sydney: this coming Sunday at RSEA Park with both teams coming off a first round win.

Wardlaw ran riot as the Saints cruised to a 54-point easy win over the Suns who unfortunately decided to imitate their male counterparts and have started the season off losing away.

Meanwhile the Swans had a fiery game against the Magpies, and we can all be thankful the Pies can't hit the side of a barn even if they're standing right in front of it. Morphett is clearly still working her way into fitness from that foot injury as she seemed to not jump much at all during the game. Lucy McEvoy was outstanding and seems to have hit the ground running this year.

Our transition game from defense stood us in good stead but goodness we dropped some marks on Friday night, that constantly gave the Pies a sniff as they hunted the ball.

Our defense in the middle & down back is going to have to improve a bit from what I saw on Friday night, the Saints forward line is seriously good. I also doubt Gowans is going to let them forget that length of the field goal from the Pies while we were celebrating what turned out to be a non goal from Hamilton - that one hurt. Play the whistle girls. Play the whistle always.

Injuries:
Maddy Collier - sat out the rest of the game after HIA protocols from a late hit. I'm not expecting her to play this week
Chloe Molloy has bruised ribs but I'm expecting her to play

Last edited:
Ins O'Sullivan Smith
Outs Collier Davies

Collier will be out on concussion protocols. Davies was OK on debut but think Smith will be more effective as a tall target in the forward line. She had some good games last year and is a nice set shot on goal.

Ins O'Sullivan Smith
Outs Collier Davies

Collier will be out on concussion protocols. Davies was OK on debut but think Smith will be more effective as a tall target in the forward line. She had some good games last year and is a nice set shot on goal.
Did Davies even play forward? She seemed stationed more in the back half when not rucking, though maybe not as a deep back.

She’s far superior in the ruck to Smith. And while Morphett is still finding some fitness and thus needing a bit more of a chop out than she might at full fitness, I can’t see Smith (or AHamilton when she’s available) replacing Davies. That doesn’t mean Smith won’t come in for someone else, though there’s no one in our forward line I’d be rushing to replace.

Did Davies even play forward? She seemed stationed more in the back half when not rucking, though maybe not as a deep back.

She’s far superior in the ruck to Smith. And while Morphett is still finding some fitness and thus needing a bit more of a chop out than she might at full fitness, I can’t see Smith (or AHamilton when she’s available) replacing Davies. That doesn’t mean Smith won’t come in for someone else, though there’s no one in our forward line I’d be rushing to replace.
I thought I saw her forward but confess I find it hard to identify the girls accurately at times. I wouldn't mind another tall target in F50 and Smith was good last year.

I thought I saw her forward but confess I find it hard to identify the girls accurately at times. I wouldn't mind another tall target in F50 and Smith was good last year.
I thought Smith was very inconsistent. She had a couple of excellent games but others where she just got in the way and contributed nothing. I did, however, quite like her VFLW season.

The problem with putting another tall in the forward line is what are you going to take out (especially given I don’t think Davies played there). I don’t think Gowans is going to take out CHamilton, given she can also take a run through the midfield. And in any case, she’s been a far more consistent contributor than Smith.

We looked at our most dangerous when Grunden and Beruldsen were using their pace to try to create something. I hate to replace one of those with a less mobile player.

I confess I don’t think Lochland offers a huge amount any more, and she’s never brought much pace (at least as a Swan). But I find it hard to see Gowans dropping someone of her experience.

Yep. FB was Mitchell and Tarrant with help from Heads. Mitchell looked better than last year.
HB was Davies when not rucking or bench, Collier, Hillier, Heads, Kennedy and McEvoy all switching.
Davies is more assertive than either Smith or Hamilton ✅ and for mine the better cut out.
Gowans is trying to build a running side and I think TBH Smith and Hamilton are a bit slow. But if one of the other talls is injured of course they're a chance.

I thought Smith was very inconsistent. She had a couple of excellent games but others where she just got in the way and contributed nothing. I did, however, quite like her VFLW season.

The problem with putting another tall in the forward line is what are you going to take out (especially given I don’t think Davies played there). I don’t think Gowans is going to take out CHamilton, given she can also take a run through the midfield. And in any case, she’s been a far more consistent contributor than Smith.

We looked at our most dangerous when Grunden and Beruldsen were using their pace to try to create something. I hate to replace one of those with a less mobile player.

I confess I don’t think Lochland offers a huge amount any more, and she’s never brought much pace (at least as a Swan). But I find it hard to see Gowans dropping someone of her experience.
100% post. The only consideration for mine is that using Davies as the cut out might leave us a bit short (as in not tall) in defence. Another quick player for Lochland might be a good move. Szigeti?

Facing St Kilda this week and stopping Jessie Wardle.

She's a terrific player, one of the superstars of the competition. The interesting thing was when you look at the Saints, they won really well, but they had ten players get over ten possessions.

They shared the goal kicking, so it wasn't just Jessie, which is really pleasing as well. They had ten goal kickers, so they just played a really good game of footy. And they're going to be a really tough opposition.

Tanya Hetherington reviews
How much confidence does the win bring ahead of a clash with St. Kilda on Sunday?
Anytime you get the win and the four-points brings an air of confidence to the team which will be needed coming up against an impressive side in St Kilda.
Both teams will be feeling confident in their systems which should make for an entertaining game!
If you were to describe the Swans brand of footy in three words, what would they be?
Fast, Exciting and Fun!

Hausegger to debut, suspect for Szigeti. O'Sullivan straight swap for Collier.
Watch on Kennedy who is listed outside the top 5 on an extended bench - would be surprised if she missed out - thought she played well in R1.
Hausegger replaces Hillier. Might seem a bit tough on Hillier, who had a more than competent debut. But I guess she and Hausegger play a similar medium defender role, and Gowans is probably looking to rotate the whole squad into the team throughout the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hausegger to debut, suspect for Szigeti. O'Sullivan straight swap for Collier.
Watch on Kennedy who is listed outside the top 5 on an extended bench - would be surprised if she missed out - thought she played well in R1.
Interesting Kennedy news. I thought she played well enough last week to be first up but maybe she copped a knock or something.

I know especially the Swans team lineup means nothing to the way they lineup in game but do we think after her great second half that Ham plays a little more on ball

Huh…the commentary team has just said the rest of the team hasn’t yet been told the extent of Malloy’s injury. And they’re hoping they can keep it from them til after the game.

And yet someone has told the media?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Autopsy St Kilda Vs Sydney Swans Sunday Sept 8 RSEA Park @ 3:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back