Standard of Umpiring...

Remove this Banner Ad

Arden said:
I am aware that the umpires were ********poor both ways tonight, but I want to question one decision. How could they pay that mark to Matera in the last quarter, when it bounced off his chest, then Pratt ripped it away on the second juggle?
There are 2 explanations. The umpire may have been on the blind side and not seen the ball come out and quiet often the umpire blows the whistle far too early. I'd say in this particular incident both things occurred.

KingyOrTheKing said:
Just to point out, the ch9 commentators were going on about how judd shouldn't have been penalised for a a push in the back against rawlings, but on the replay it showed Judd with two hands firmly in his back. It was fairly soft, but given the umpiring to that point... I honestly thought it was there, or is that within the rules?? Judd managed to spin Rawlings around like a ragdoll, but it was still two hands in the back which, AFAIK, is a free. Whats the rule?
No question in my mind that was a free. Hand on back and pushes forward. That is always a free. At least it should be. No exceptions.

IMO these blokes are turning the game into a farce. If 2 blokes are both going at it when the ball is coming in, 1 intent on marking the other to spoil, 1 holding his ground with an arm around the waist some jumper grabbing to shepperd the ball flight to his advantage the defender using similar tactics for a better position to spoil then for f@rk sake just play on. It's been the norm for how long ?? and is what makes our game so great, athletic skillful forwards up against tough hard at it defenders, Silvani and Micky would have been in the magoos and Plugger and Carey and Co. would have kicked three Thouuuusand goals with todays soft rules.
They should get all the ump's and start making them tackle and spoil and position for marks amongst themselves as part of training because the only bumps these guys have received is against the bedhead :eek:

cheers all.

mighty mick said:
knew it was gonna be a bad umpiring night for all when they took the mark off monster for i dont know what early in the game
yup, we all agree. Hopper describes it to a tee in a recent post.

It's not the 'guesses that are terrible' that make the umpiring a joke at times but the 'spirit of the game' decisions also and add to the knowledge of where advantage starts & ends. Most times they get it right but again, it's more about being able to read the play and umpires poor positioning slaughters thier decision making process and there is a joke of a rule that needs to be INSTANTLY OBOLISHED >>> spoiling with minimal contact to the arms / fingertips is making our great game 'a bibs & skirts' eyesore. Let it go FFS. The AFL will pay for such stupidity with a CRUCIAL 'non-free' awarded in a close game in the finals. Just ain't right.

#16 was good. Other two rubbish. I thought it was James (usually #1 though?) as my copy of The Age had him listed as umpring with Schmidt and Vozzo.

Then again we were on the top deck, and they all look the same from there...

Umpiring doesnt cost u matches, it evens itself out over the game. I thought we were extremely well looked after in the last with many crowd frees, which was great. But because our rules r interpretations and not set in stone people will always argue. Things that annoy me more r kicks not finding their men when there is no pressure, and easy goals that r missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ashley B said:
Umpiring doesnt cost u matches, it evens itself out over the game. I thought we were extremely well looked after in the last with many crowd frees, which was great. But because our rules r interpretations and not set in stone people will always argue. Things that annoy me more r kicks not finding their men when there is no pressure, and easy goals that r missed.
Great post AshleyB. Too many grey areas and 'bib & skirt' rulings are butchering our great game.

I don't think umpiring affects results in 99% of games, the 1994 PF vs Geelong being a possible exception.

If you're close enough for umpiring to be an implied effect on the result, the result was up in the air anyway. Convincingly beat your opponent and umpiring won't matter either way (and I'll cite our 209-68 defeat of Richmond in Rd 2, 1990 when we were down 18-35 in the free kick count).

Still, I think we're in good shape for the finals and I don't think this minor blip will stop our run of decent form.

Probably a bit chulish to complain about the umpiring given the free kick count. Most of us would be spitting chips if it had been reversed! I still think we were "robbed" of a couple of goals in the first quarter though. The Thompson mark when he out muscled Glass ( Jason Dunstall would hardly have got a kick if that stuff was paid when he was playing!) and the in the back decision when an Eagles player was "interfered with" by his team mate! Anorth player (Harding?) was running into an open goal when that was paid.

2 frees against Thommo in the first quarter were wrong and cost us 2 goals. Then Staker knocked Pratts arms after he marked the ball, turned and goaled. Should have been Pratts free. We should have been 3 or 4 goals up and on a role at Quarter time but for the umpiring. And Matera s mark in the last was a disgrace. Overall the umpiring was terrible and we've had trouble with umpire Schmithouse before but our dubious ones didn't affect the scoreboard as much as theirs. Also a definate free against Judd. Left hand in the small of Rawlings back spun him and propelled him forward before Judds right hand disposessed him! A definate push in the back and free kick. Also noticed that West Coast defenders stepped up the holding tactics on Thompson and Hale in particular in the 2nd and 3rd quarters resulting in limited opportunities for our forwards.

I can't believe some of you lads are whinging, it was crap umpiring to both sides but over the game if you come out 28-16 up, you've done better by the umps, it's not just the goal scoring opportunity free kicks guys, it's the soft as hell ones in general play.

But regardless, it was a good game, the umpiring took away from it a bit but apart from a burst from the Eagles in the third and a burst from the Roos in the last it was a good even battle which was reflected in the final margin.

Black JuJu said:
I can't believe some of you lads are whinging, it was crap umpiring to both sides but over the game if you come out 28-16 up, you've done better by the umps, it's not just the goal scoring opportunity free kicks guys, it's the soft as hell ones in general play.

But regardless, it was a good game, the umpiring took away from it a bit but apart from a burst from the Eagles in the third and a burst from the Roos in the last it was a good even battle which was reflected in the final margin.

Probably agree with most of that, and there were some decisions that were definately swayed by the crowd (try getting a holding the ball at Subi sometime ;) ).

They are just sh1t. Overumpired sh1t.

daggles said:
2 frees against Thommo in the first quarter were wrong and cost us 2 goals. Then Staker knocked Pratts arms after he marked the ball, turned and goaled. Should have been Pratts free. We should have been 3 or 4 goals up and on a role at Quarter time but for the umpiring. And Matera s mark in the last was a disgrace. Overall the umpiring was terrible and we've had trouble with umpire Schmithouse before but our dubious ones didn't affect the scoreboard as much as theirs. Also a definate free against Judd. Left hand in the small of Rawlings back spun him and propelled him forward before Judds right hand disposessed him! A definate push in the back and free kick. Also noticed that West Coast defenders stepped up the holding tactics on Thompson and Hale in particular in the 2nd and 3rd quarters resulting in limited opportunities for our forwards.

Both your eyes are one eyed...........work that one out...........

Still no respect.............

mikben said:
Both your eyes are one eyed...........work that one out...........

Still no respect.............

I was sitting with Richmond and Hawthorn supporters and they all agreed with me. Does that mean we had 8 one eyes?????????

Woodson said:
Petrie is as much as a AFL standard player as much as the umpiring is AFL standard (tonight).

I hate having a go at other fellow Roos, but Woodson you are a fn fool. I am sick to death of your Petrie bashing. He went up against the number one ruckman in the comp and came out even. What more did you want. Sure he isn't quite nailing his kicking at the moment but that is only part of his game. Everything else has been A grade. His tackle, endeavour and run have been out standing. The guy gave everything he had to give on Friday night and I haven't seen any one as spent as he was for a very long time.

People like you Woodson have no idea what the spirit of North Melbourne is about. You pretend to know, and you like to say you have it, but really you need to have a hard look at yourself, and what you say. Drew has the Shinboner spirit, why else would he be put in the leadership group at such a young age. If Drew went on the market, every other team would try to snap him up because he has hardness and ticker. The two things it takes to win a premiership (and the 2 thing you don't have).

Get off the guys back,...or get off the Roos and put on the Yellow and Black.

You Wood brain.

As for the umpiring, I thought we deserved to have more free kicks, played strong and in front. It's just that several poor decisions cost us goals for and against. Oh well, we proved we can mix it with a very good side and if we make the finals we're a chance.

Go Roos.

mav said:
Sure he isn't quite nailing his kicking at the moment but that is only part of his game. Everything else has been A grade. His tackle, endeavour and run have been out standing. The guy gave everything he had to give on Friday night and I haven't seen any one as spent as he was for a very long time.

People like you Woodson have no idea what the spirit of North Melbourne is about. You pretend to know, and you like to say you have it, but really you need to have a hard look at yourself, and what you say. Drew has the Shinboner spirit, why else would he be put in the leadership group at such a young age. If Drew went on the market, every other team would try to snap him up because he has hardness and ticker. The two things it takes to win a premiership (and the 2 thing you don't have).

Get off the guys back,...or get off the Roos and put on the Yellow and Black.

You Wood brain.

As for the umpiring, I thought we deserved to have more free kicks, played strong and in front. It's just that several poor decisions cost us goals for and against. Oh well, we proved we can mix it with a very good side and if we make the finals we're a chance.

Go Roos.

Call me what you like Mav. I don't care. We all see the same things.

'Sure he isn't quite nailing his kicking at the moment but that is only part of his game.' isn't that an understatement.

Let me tell you this Mav >>

I've OFTEN PRAISED DREW PETRIE >>> STUCK UP for the guy all through last season but FFS (check any random post 2004 & before) >>> I'm just fed up on why a player of Drew's capacity can't improve his kicking that's why I question him now.

Have I ever questioned Drew's Hardness >>>> NEVER !!
Have I ever questioned Drew's Endeavour >>> NEVER !!

Infact I've made comment on numerous times (2004 & before) that his ONE PERCENTERS rates as the BEST @ the club !! Anyone willing to back me up here ?

I'm not sold that he has taken a step forward in his overall progress and kicking makes up for alot of his defencies and that's why my personal opinion say he isn't AFL standard in my eyes.

If you don't agree, just say so, no need to jump up n' down like a putz. :rolleyes:

As for telling us about what it takes to win a flag and all that 'hot air' >>> gee, mate, with all due respect >>> let it go.

I say things like 'not AFL standard' in jest to hopefully get a reaction from the player himself (who hears it from others who read our forum (get it ??) to hopefully turn it around. It's not my 'signature throw away line'

...I'm not offended with the yellow & black jibe either >>> infact I find it bloody hilarious. If only you knew.......

I totally agree with your last paragraph. But as for 'getting off Drew's BACK' >>> get a major improvement on his kicking and you won't hear a peep outta me, otherwise I stand by my opinion.

Here is my last word based on your words of the stinging attack.

"but really you need to have a hard look at yourself, and what you say" .....

"Sure he isn't quite nailing his kicking at the moment but that is only part of his game"

Ouch !

Woodson said:
I say things like 'not AFL standard' in jest to hopefully get a reaction from the player himself (who hears it from others who read our forum (get it ??) to hopefully turn it around.

If lines on Big Footy are what it takes to inspire Drew, then yep I'll agree with you..He's not AFL standard.

I can just see it...Hey Drew, Woodson reckons your not AFL standard, you'd better lift your game.....nah, says Drew I'm just going to pack it in, that Woodson is on the mark.

Who ever on this forum speaks to Drew, shake his hand for me. Tell him he will be the heart and soul of the club for years to come. Tell him Mav sent you ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Standard of Umpiring...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back