Movie Star Wars: The Last Jedi. - THREAD PART 1 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS* - Cont. in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a stupid comment. So we shouldn't expect three dimensional characters in movies because if we really care we can just go off and read a book?
Remember when Boba Fett was a cool mysterious side character and then they explained his origin story in excruciating detail and it was really boring?

We don't need everyone's back story.

I must say, I agree with some of your points, but not all. Only nit-picking because your post is the most recent haah

Snoke, built up to be some immensely powerful force user from the uncharted areas of thr galaxy. So powerful that even Sideous sensed him and sent people to look for him. Has enourmous wounds and pure hatred for skywalker. Now hes gone. No need to explain any of that. All that potential story gone.

SO much this. Hopefully it gets expanded upon in a spin-off film.

It would be pretty sweet though if somehow, Disney were prepared to fund a really high-quality spin-off series for a streaming service. Imagine Star Wars spin-offs with a GOT budget? That could be some quality viewing.

Reys parents. Could have been a linking character. An actual reason she is so immensely powerful. Instead shes an utter no one who is proficient in force use and combat with zero training. With no reason other than shes the hero. Her lineage was a hope by fans to cover up some of the hole that shes pretty much overpowered hero who cant lose.

I think Kylo could've been lying to get her to succumb to the Dark Side. Whilst he personally doesn't have good emotional control, he is very good at recognizing and exploiting those of others.
I think (or hope) that in IX we will realize that his approach to seducing Rey to his plans was a folly and will frustrate him even further.

Luke. Dies a failure. Everytging he accomplished meaning nothing. His heroes journey washed away. Galaxy still in crisis. Millions of people still dying. Supposedly some powerful jedi that went on all these adventures in the lore and story we already had. Nope thats all gone instead He spends 30 years sitting on an island feeling sorry for himself. Didnt know han died. And has now died himself leaving the rest of the cast to mop up his created mess in Kylo. He will be back as some ghost to guide rey and utter waste.
I had similar thoughts, but Janus post earlier in the thread has me thinking differently.

So the last person with skywalker blood is the evil big bad who will be beaten by the OP new hero and we look back athe skywalker saga and wonder what even happened.
I am still betting his character arc will do a complete 360. He is a conflicted character and battling the draw of both sides of the force.
I wouldn't mind betting that Rey's most powerful use of the force or action will be emotionally turning Kylo, as opposed to physically turning (or killing him). It would be a nice change and contrast from how other big baddies have been handled.

Two very powerfully force sensitive clumsy apprentices.

How would people have preferred that fight go?

I dunno, actually have better fight choreographers, make it a bit more exciting and skilful from both sides. Same with Luke v Kylo, whoever choreographed this movie had no idea.

Remember when Boba Fett was a cool mysterious side character and then they explained his origin story in excruciating detail and it was really boring?

Yeah because the leader of the First Order is really the equivalent of a character in three scenes.

Come on dude.

I actually like Boba Fett better because of his origin

Was it ever explained in the OT how Palpatine rose to power?

Was this an issue people had back then? Because I feel it's a similar parallel to Snoke. He just is the leader, we don't know how or why but he is.

Yeah because the leader of the First Order is really the equivalent of a character in three scenes.

Come on dude.
You didn't get a backstory for Palpatine in the original trilogy either though. He's just been killed by his apprentice in the 2nd movie of the trilogy instead of the 3rd.

You still might hear more about him in ep9. We still don't know much about how Snoke helped turn Kylo and that might fill in the blanks.

Was this an issue people had back then? Because I feel it's a similar parallel to Snoke. He just is the leader, we don't know how or why but he is.
Difference there weren't any other movies before the original trilogy at the time and then when they were released they explained it. Snoke has the disadvantage of coming into an already established universe so it's a bit harder to believe his rise to power.

Plus Palpatine was way more fun than Snoke

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Thought the Luke/Rey/Kylo plot points were some of the strongest scenes in all of the franchise. Felt it had a few problems, mainly being Finn and Rose scenes. Just felt out of place compared to the rest of the film.

I was worried The Last Jedi would play it safe again, which it definitely didn't. Was pleasantly surprised to see Rian take the sequel trilogy in a different direction to the Original Trilogy.

People may disagree with me on this point but I feel this film was about moving on from the Original Trilogy and embracing the new characters and stories.

Definitely recommend.

As Mike said, we got Palpatine's backstory in movies we knew were coming. If they announced a Snoke movie his death would be a lot easier to stomach.

Difference there weren't any other movies before the original trilogy at the time and then when they were released they explained it. Snoke has the disadvantage of coming into an already established universe so it's a bit harder to believe his rise to power.

Plus Palpatine was way more fun than Snoke

Mainly for the meme value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno, actually have better fight choreographers, make it a bit more exciting and skilful from both sides. Same with Luke v Kylo, whoever choreographed this movie had no idea.
I still think having Rey and Kylo fight like prime Vader or Obi Wan or Maul would have been a stretch given their experience. I enjoyed the sequence but there is always room for improvement I guess.

The best thing about the prequels was having lots of Jedi and Sith in their primes fighting amazing lightsaber battles.

I still think having Rey and Kylo fight like prime Vader or Obi Wan or Maul would have been a stretch given their experience. I enjoyed the sequence but there is always room for improvement I guess.

The best thing about the prequels was having lots of Jedi and Sith in their primes fighting amazing lightsaber battles.

You mean Obi-Wan who was just an Apprentice? ;)

As Mike said, we got Palpatine's backstory in movies we knew were coming. If they announced a Snoke movie his death would be a lot easier to stomach.
We still have 2.5 hours of Ep9 which will likely delve further into how Kylo was turned. Plenty of time for a bit more of where Snoke came from to be fleshed out.

Hell, we still know nothing about the Knights of Ren other than they were some of Luke's other apprentices.

I don't think people in the 80s knew that the prequels were coming...

Call me crazy, but if I went to see a movie called Episode V, I think I'd have an inkling..

Maybe for Reys experience but It was established that Kylo defeated Luke then killed the rest of the Padawans.

Maybe for Reys experience but It was established that Kylo defeated Luke then killed the rest of the Padawans.
It appeared that Kylo defeated Luke by pulling a building down onto him while Luke was distracted by the guilt of what he was doing.

It was also stated that Kylo took several of Luke's apprentices with him, the Knights of Ren. So it wasn't one guy destroying everyone else by himself.

Just a few quick points on my thoughts of the movie:

The Bad
- That Leia scene, like cmon
- Finn and Rose’s sidequest that really achieved nothing due to them getting captured and everyone on the cruiser being put in escape ships.
- A bit too much humour but I suppose when you look back on Star Wars movies it was always there, I suppose I was just looking for a more dark film.

The Good
- The Kylo/Rey connection and what it meant
- Luke’s arc and especially his conversation with Yoda
- All the space/in-atmosphere battles involving X-Wings/Falcon
- Killing Snoke. This one annoyed me quite a lot when I first saw it. I thought that killing him without fleshing him out just meant his character was a waste of time and was almost unnecessary. However, after a good think he really only exists to develop Kylo and Kylo as the big bad in Episode 9 gives us a character who we are much more invested in to square up against Rey. Snoke was the medium to which Kylo became a stronger character. Plus it took major balls from Rian Johnson to kill Snoke, so bravo.

Call me crazy, but if I went to see a movie called Episode V, I think I'd have an inkling..
I suppose but it still wasn't announced until 1994 that they were coming.

I think the main thing is as mike said, this is coming into an established series and focusing on Rey/Kylo, so finding out who Snoke is and how he came to power isn't entirely necessary.

I absolutely want to know this stuff and wish it had been explained somewhat however in the same way I want to know how the First Order formed, how the Resistance formed, all this other stuff that they can't focus on in movies set in this time period.

I suppose but it still wasn't announced until 1994 that they were coming.

I think the main thing is as mike said, this is coming into an established series and focusing on Rey/Kylo, so finding out who Snoke is and how he came to power isn't entirely necessary.

I absolutely want to know this stuff and wish it had been explained somewhat however in the same way I want to know how the First Order formed, how the Resistance formed, all this other stuff that they can't focus on in movies set in this time period.

But I guess this is why it would be good if they said "Yep we're going to do a film exploring Snoke and how the First Order came to be after we finish with IX" and then we'd all sit back and go "Oh, cool ok well now I get to just focus on Kylo/Rey's story" but without that we're left sitting there wandering what the hell is going on.

But I guess this is why it would be good if they said "Yep we're going to do a film exploring Snoke and how the First Order came to be after we finish with IX" and then we'd all sit back and go "Oh, cool ok well now I get to just focus on Kylo/Rey's story" but without that we're left sitting there wandering what the hell is going on.
I assume it will be in the Aftermath novels... the first of which was not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back