State of Origin State of Origin XVI – Round One – Allies Vs. Vic Metro @ University of Tasmania Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

'May have may or may not may of been stoned"
You sure you're not stoned now?
Na back at work for me
Quiet night in with some Restoration Australia

What are you, a cranky old war veteran now?
Who the hell says “clear off” anyway?

Next you’ll be asking him to paint your chicken coop.
Yeah, fcuk that for a bag of marbles, hat wearing old bastards say "Bugger off".

Happy Tuesday (aka manangatang's most hated day)! It's 10am (ish), which can only mean one thing - it's time for ...

TOP TEN TUESDAY!

This most-loved tradition is a simple one. Each Tuesday in the match thread, a theme is posted on at 10am and than anyone that wants to join in lists their top ten according to the theme. Previous themes have included Top Ten TV Shows, Top Ten Movie Quotes You Use In Daily Life* and Top Ten Political Autobiographies, but this week the theme is TOP TEN GIGS YOU'VE BEEN TO.

It could be a band you saw before they became massive, or perhaps an already super-famous act performing on a worldwide stadium tour. It might be because the music moved you so much (either emotionally or physically) or it simply was a night you got particularly crazy with your mates.

There aren't any real rules for Top Ten Tuesday, except that your list needs to have ten entries. It's up to you whether you order them and while explanations aren't necessary, they're definitely encouraged. And of course, ripping apart other nominations is definitely allowed.

* In a pleasant surprise, the ageless "Yes, this man has no dick" from Ghostbusters topped the list.
Thanks to everyone who played along. There were some really interesting lists in there. For what it's worth, here is my top 10:

Beck at Hordern Pavilion (2003) - just a brilliant show that seamlessly transitioned from the heart-breaking songs off Seachange into everything from earlier in his career.

Electric Six at the Metro Theatre (2005) - the stupidest, funniest night I've had at a gig. Every single person (pretty much all dudes) knew the lyrics to every song and punched the sky excitedly in unison every time Dick Valentine yelled "Fire!"

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings at the Gaelic Club (2006) - the best vibe I've ever experienced at a gig. Sharon Jones was a tiny ball of energy that inspired everyone to get wild.

Sufjan Stevens at the State Theatre (2008) - this is probably the show I cried the most at. It was sad and beautiful and completely soul-affirming.

Tim Fite at The Basement/Sydney Laneway (2009) - the most unique set of songs I've ever seen from an incredibly talented yet overlooked man. He managed to encapsulate the unique horrors of being human, but present it back to you with a grin.

Philadelphia Grand Jury at East Brunswick Club (2009) - the first time I'd ever heard people singing all the words to our songs. It was an incredible feeling and if there was a moment in time I'd love to relive over and over again, that would be it.

Supergrass at Brixton Academy (2010) - it was their last-ever (until they reformed) gig in England and they played a reverse retrospective of their back catalog, ending with the first song they ever wrote "Caught By The Fuzz".

The Middle East at the River Stage/Melbourne Laneway (2010) - as they played, the sun set and the moon rose in the sky behind them. I was lying on the hill by myself and as soon as they finished I called my wife to tell her how much I loved her.

Bugs Bunny At The Symphony (Sydney Symphony Orchestra) at the Opera House (2010) - despite my sister and I being the only people in the room a over 15 that didn't have any children with them, this was an incredibly enjoyable concert. We lived and breathed Looney Tunes growing up and this made it all seemingly come to life.

Iggy & The Stooges at the Hordern Pavilion (2013) - if I could be even half the badass now that Iggy Pop was at 66 (his age at this gig), I would be the coolest guy in Australia by far. What an absolute weapon!

Lots of amazing gigs didn't make the top ten, but might on another day (e.g. Radiohead, sixfthick, Aldous Harding, Ben Folds improvising a song with a symphony orchestra, every other time I saw Beck, Presidents Of The USA, Weezer, The Strokes, eels, James Brown, JSBX etc).

Game Day!

It sure is.

Allies I encourage you to take this experience in and enjoy it. I will make you all famous today. Invite your family and friends and give them the front row seat to the Tony Lynn 15 show.

You will all have a front row seat. Don’t be afraid or overwhelmed just realise you will be part of history. When I am standing on your head taking mark of the century make sure you look up and smile for the camera. You can one day tell your grandkids about the day the Tony Lynn 15 show came to town and he used you as a step ladder and later that night he used your wife as a wheel barrow around your front lounge room!

It sure is.

Allies I encourage you to take this experience in and enjoy it. I will make you all famous today. Invite your family and friends and give them the front row seat to the Tony Lynn 15 show.

You will all have a front row seat. Don’t be afraid or overwhelmed just realise you will be part of history. When I am standing on your head taking mark of the century make sure you look up and smile for the camera. You can one day tell your grandkids about the day the Tony Lynn 15 show came to town and he used you as a step ladder and later that night he used your wife as a wheel barrow around your front lounge room!

There is nothing wrong with ambition. However without a reality base to temper ambition to the possible, people are doomed to disappointment.

However an unhappy few are prone to delusions of grandeur. In TL15's case it is clear the poor fella has delusions of mediocrity.

This is not true.

I am a 25 year old pretending to be a wrestler, who also has a massive inferiority complex who posts like a spoilt little crybaby when he doesn’t get his way.
If you’re 25 then I fear for humanity and the direction the human race is taking. I truly hope you are never allowed to breed with anyone or anything else, as we certainly don’t need more unwashed, uneducated, ill-bred, salty, gormless peasants draining the country’s resources.
Hey, at least I've won a premiership :)
Oh yeah, let’s not forget about a randomly simulated premiership, but I suppose an unfortunate rank and file member of society WOULD see that as a personal achievement.
Weren’t you also dropped for another one, given your pathetic attitude and terrible posting style? Or did you conveniently leave that part out to suit your narrative, SuperWookie? What about the time that you tried to weasel your way back onto a squad list a week before the Grand Final was played?
Pitiful.
I have no intention of quitting until next season. Then I'll melt and storm off again.
You should expedite the process and delete your account now, as that will save many people on the board a full-frontal lobotomy from having to read your tired old trope of faux melting and wrestling jargon.

Now, if you’d like to sit in the corner eating moths and licking batteries like you’ve been doing for the last few weeks, be my guest.
Please just do it quietly, as you’re frightening the other children.

This is not true.

I am a 25 year old pretending to be a wrestler, who also has a massive inferiority complex who posts like a spoilt little crybaby when he doesn’t get his way.

Hey, at least I've won a premiership :)

I have no intention of quitting until next season. Then I'll melt and storm off again.

How did you go from like 18 to 25 in three years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sure is.

Since you believe you will be getting the ball so much do you mind passing it to Muddiemoose a few times, it would be great if he could kick a goal, the Bears have a great win-lose record when he kicks a goal.

Since you believe you will be getting the ball so much do you mind passing it to Muddiemoose a few times, it would be great if he could kick a goal, the Bears have a great win-lose record when he kicks a goal.
That’s it I’ve cracked it
You are no longer officially my SFA best mate.

cooney is now my SFA bestie
Wooooooooo

They're already letting him take the toss for Make A Qish, surely that's good enough

They're already letting him take the toss for Make A Qish, surely that's good enough
Looks like you have received your last pm from me with some bangers you should listen to.

Wooooooooo
I see it as a win-win situation. If you kick a goal and you win, the curse of you only kicking goals in losing games is over, that is good for the Bears. If you kick a goal and lose again, then the Allies win and I win. See win-win either way.

I see it as a win-win situation. If you kick a goal and you win, the curse of you only kicking goals in losing games is over, that is good for the Bears. If you kick a goal and lose again, then the Allies win and I win. See win-win either way.
Hmm
You do make a good point...

However I’m still angry at you

Wooooooooo

You both don't do much on the field, wouldn't be surprised if you both get benched in the 1st to get a soy latte

Remove this Banner Ad

State of Origin State of Origin XVI – Round One – Allies Vs. Vic Metro @ University of Tasmania Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back