Statewide League 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Brighton not included I hear you ask?

Whilst they may have excellent lights, I was talking to a Field Umpire yesterday who has umpired Brighton in the Premier League and also alot of Regional League matches and in his opinion Lindisfarne would beat Brighton by "12-13 goals" and all the other top 5 regional teams would beat them too!

The mind boggles how many Big Derba would kick if Launny ever played Brighton!

Geez, it's different these days with Monna now defending DOSA instead of his formerly beloved Robins!

Pullout pressure on plan
BRETT STUBBS
July 18, 2008 12:00am
GLENORCHY'S decision to withdraw from the proposed Tasmanian State League will have a big influence on whether Clarence elects to join, Roos president Richard Mulligan said.
Clarence held a special general meeting on Tuesday night at which the members decided there was not enough information to decide whether to proceed or decline AFL Tasmania's offer to join the new competition.

Mulligan attended Wednesday night's video conference with AFL Tasmania and the other invited clubs but said Glenorchy's decision to pull out would have a bearing on any future discussions.

"We are actively still talking with Glenorchy, we respect the decision they have taken," Mulligan said yesterday.

"We would want to play in future in any competition Glenorchy's playing in.

"That is a decision for Glenorchy but we as a club haven't made a final decision, I can't say we are going in and I can't say we are not.

"That's not my position to articulate but we would very, very much want Glenorchy to be part of whatever our future is. The decision they have taken will be a major factor in whatever decision we take."

Mulligan said Clarence was seeking further details about the salary cap, transfer fees, rostering and other issues before holding its next meeting.

AFL Tasmania general manager Scott Wade said the State League was continuing as outlined in the business plan and the door was always open to Glenorchy to resume discussions.

He said if the five northern clubs committed to the new competition, AFL Tasmania would leave no stone unturned in trying to attract teams from the South.

AFL Tasmania directors will visit the invited clubs' boards and meetings of members to further outlay the State League's details as well as preparing an information pack.

The original date for the clubs to give in-principle confirmation for the new league has been pushed back from August 15 to September 23.
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,24038907-13222,00.html

Why is Brighton not included I hear you ask?

Whilst they may have excellent lights, I was talking to a Field Umpire yesterday who has umpired Brighton in the Premier League and also alot of Regional League matches and in his opinion Lindisfarne would beat Brighton by "12-13 goals" and all the other top 5 regional teams would beat them too!

The mind boggles how many Big Derba would kick if Launny ever played Brighton!

Geez, it's different these days with Monna now defending DOSA instead of his formerly beloved Robins!

I think i'll have to defend Brighton on this one. After playing practise matches against Huonville, Kermandie and Sorell in the last 2 seasons and beating them all comfortably, i think you have no grounds to say that the top five teams would beat Brighton. Lindisfarne remains to be seen, but this year they seem to be head and shoulders above the rest of the regional competition. There is a bigger gap between the standards of Premier league and regional league footy then the avid regional supporters would have you believe.

Pullout pressure on plan
BRETT STUBBS
July 18, 2008 12:00am
GLENORCHY'S decision to withdraw from the proposed Tasmanian State League will have a big influence on whether Clarence elects to join, Roos president Richard Mulligan said.
Clarence held a special general meeting on Tuesday night at which the members decided there was not enough information to decide whether to proceed or decline AFL Tasmania's offer to join the new competition.

Mulligan attended Wednesday night's video conference with AFL Tasmania and the other invited clubs but said Glenorchy's decision to pull out would have a bearing on any future discussions.

"We are actively still talking with Glenorchy, we respect the decision they have taken," Mulligan said yesterday.

"We would want to play in future in any competition Glenorchy's playing in.

"That is a decision for Glenorchy but we as a club haven't made a final decision, I can't say we are going in and I can't say we are not.

"That's not my position to articulate but we would very, very much want Glenorchy to be part of whatever our future is. The decision they have taken will be a major factor in whatever decision we take."

Mulligan said Clarence was seeking further details about the salary cap, transfer fees, rostering and other issues before holding its next meeting.

AFL Tasmania general manager Scott Wade said the State League was continuing as outlined in the business plan and the door was always open to Glenorchy to resume discussions.

He said if the five northern clubs committed to the new competition, AFL Tasmania would leave no stone unturned in trying to attract teams from the South.

AFL Tasmania directors will visit the invited clubs' boards and meetings of members to further outlay the State League's details as well as preparing an information pack.

The original date for the clubs to give in-principle confirmation for the new league has been pushed back from August 15 to September 23.
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,24038907-13222,00.html

Imagine if state wide league goes ahead without Glenorchy. Who would challenge Glenorchy in the south. They would go ahead winning premierships at will.

Imagine if state wide league goes ahead without Glenorchy. Who would challenge Glenorchy in the south. They would go ahead winning premierships at will.
But they may not be able to keep all their players if they are in a Wadewide leagues team zone. I imagine the set up would be the same as the Devils, that they can pick and choose from any player in their zone at the start of the season and the follow on being that the Devils can pick from the Wadewide league players at will.

But they may not be able to keep all their players if they are in a Wadewide leagues team zone. I imagine the set up would be the same as the Devils, that they can pick and choose from any player in their zone at the start of the season and the follow on being that the Devils can pick from the Wadewide league players at will.

They can't force you to play were you don't want to

I think i'll have to defend Brighton on this one. After playing practise matches against Huonville, Kermandie and Sorell in the last 2 seasons and beating them all comfortably, i think you have no grounds to say that the top five teams would beat Brighton. Lindisfarne remains to be seen, but this year they seem to be head and shoulders above the rest of the regional competition. There is a bigger gap between the standards of Premier league and regional league footy then the avid regional supporters would have you believe.

Read my post again, Peanut.

The part where I said "I was talking to a Field Umpire .... and in his opinion"

That part.

I don't know that you can take much out of practice matches, I was at one this year where Claremont beat Kingston!

I think my source wasn't talking about the respective standards of the Leagues but more so talking about Brighton who even you will have to admit in the last few months have been nothing short of pathetic!

As I said, he has umpired Brighton as well as many Regional League games and this was his opinion and for what it's worth I value his opinion.

My source also told me he'd heard Salter and Barwick rarely train!

If true, this is astonishing given the money they're rumoured to be on!

As someone said on here during the off season - $1,000 a game between them!

Now that I'm not a parochial Northerner, I'll be nicer. I must point out the one fundamental flaw in your post:

14 + 4 = 18. For some reason, you're obsessed with the number 20...!

And all I've done is point out the wording of the document...points 1-4 above spell it all out as a direct cut and paste quote...

Five southern teams playing 4 matches each at home against N/NW teams is 20 MATCHES. Not 20 ROUNDS. Nowhere have I said there will be 20 rounds.

You've avoided the point I was making - to have your pro-Hobart scenario the only way it can work within the points 1-4 you so helpfully quoted would be to have each Launceston team play 8 matches against Hobart teams - 3 home and 5 away. Since that is not very likely to be accepted, then the missing matches ( ie the matches the NW teams should really be playing in Hobart) need to be made up by Hobart teams playing home games against NW teams at Aurora. Just as the missing matches where Hobart teams should play on the NW coast are being made up for by NW teams hosting home games at Aurora. You keep claiming only the NW teams will have to do this but your maths is flawed.

Statewide League drafter players

Can anyone tell me how it is fair on Lauderdale that in the space of 3 years they will have had 3 players drafted yet receive virtually zip in $$$$$.

Will this change with a Statewide League set up?

This is a big question that really hasn't been touched on much as yet.

How is it fair on a club like Lauderdale that is trying very hard to go >>>>, to go from being a club that played along side a tip to being a fair dinkum force, yet not receive the $$$$'s for the grand junior development it has been doing.

This is surely a very big issue for all Statewide clubs.

I shake my head once again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read my post again, Peanut.

The part where I said "I was talking to a Field Umpire .... and in his opinion"

That part.

I don't know that you can take much out of practice matches, I was at one this year where Claremont beat Kingston!

I think my source wasn't talking about the respective standards of the Leagues but more so talking about Brighton who even you will have to admit in the last few months have been nothing short of pathetic!

As I said, he has umpired Brighton as well as many Regional League games and this was his opinion and for what it's worth I value his opinion.

My source also told me he'd heard Salter and Barwick rarely train!

If true, this is astonishing given the money they're rumoured to be on!

As someone said on here during the off season - $1,000 a game between them!

Have you ever stopped and thought to yourself, gee... i'm an idiot!! becuase you definately should. And if you haven't, you are in denial. You can blame you crap posts on your "sources" if you want, but in the end it's you that posts them and therefore you who is accountable.
As for the other drivel you have posted... No Comment!!

Five southern teams playing 4 matches each at home against N/NW teams is 20 MATCHES. Not 20 ROUNDS. Nowhere have I said there will be 20 rounds.

You've avoided the point I was making - to have your pro-Hobart scenario the only way it can work within the points 1-4 you so helpfully quoted would be to have each Launceston team play 8 matches against Hobart teams - 3 home and 5 away. Since that is not very likely to be accepted, then the missing matches ( ie the matches the NW teams should really be playing in Hobart) need to be made up by Hobart teams playing home games against NW teams at Aurora. Just as the missing matches where Hobart teams should play on the NW coast are being made up for by NW teams hosting home games at Aurora. You keep claiming only the NW teams will have to do this but your maths is flawed.

MY MATHS IS FLAWED?!?

Your biggest problem here is that you lump the teams into groups AFL Tas itself isn't doing - they specifically state those "very helpful" points 1-4 - that's what they're going to do, not your suggestions above...it's their official planning release document, if you hadn't noticed...

10 teams playing each other twice is 18 games, which is the same as 18 rounds. To cut down on the travel, the system devised divides the teams into 5-team groups in the North and South, takes away two matches for each team against far away opposition, and replaces them with two extra games within the group. For every SWL side, there are 8 H&A games against the other teams in the group, just 8 H&A games against the other group instead of 10 as would be the case normally, and an extra two H&A games against teams in their own group to make 18. This equates to 14 games within your own region, and 4 trips to the other end of the state. Not a decimal point to be seen...

Read the 4 points again, and it becomes clear that there is an inequity. The southern teams are required only to make 1 trip NW for the year, but you cannot work this roster formula and make it balance without some Southern teams playing two away games against the NW. So to adhere to this condition, the game will be played at the halfway point of York Park...

It doesn't work the other way, because all four required trips to the south by the NW sides are away games, all at the home venues of those Southern teams...

So my original point, which surely must make sense by now - NW sides (and only NW sides) are being asked to travel 100-150km to play their own home game against opposition that doesn't have to return the favour...this really isn't that hard to work out...and it isn't fair...

Have you ever stopped and thought to yourself, gee... i'm an idiot!! becuase you definately should. And if you haven't, you are in denial. You can blame you crap posts on your "sources" if you want, but in the end it's you that posts them and therefore you who is accountable.
As for the other drivel you have posted... No Comment!!

Monna, dear Monna. I mention I was told by sources because that exactly what happened.

As much as you might like to think otherwise, I don't make up stuff to write on here.

Seagulls to fly again
BRETT STUBBS
July 22, 2008 12:00am
SANDY Bay could rise again in its own right if Southern clubs reject the proposed state football league.
The Seagulls could fly again -- ten years after collapsing under financial pressure -- without merging with Hobart, as proposed in the AFL's state league business plan last month.

AFL Tasmania's state league Plan B is for the Bay to once again play on its traditional home ground at Queenborough.

The revelation came as a shock to the only existing Sandy Bay team, the Lions juniors, who said they were not even entertaining the idea.

Key to the Seagulls' resurrection are the five Northern clubs.

An AFL Tasmania insider confirmed yesterday the governing body has guaranteed Northern clubs -- Burnie, Devonport, North Launceston, South Launceston and Launceston -- they will have a state competition to go into if they accept the invitation.

If they accept but none of the Southern clubs -- Glenorchy, Clarence, Hobart, North Hobart and Lauderdale -- do, AFL Tasmania will resurrect the Seagulls and initially run the club itself.

AFL Tasmania hopes it would create a domino affect that would see its former southern TFL rivals follow to create a fully fledged state competition in the next three years.

Sandy Bay folded in 1997, three years before the death of the former statewide league.

However, it retained a strong junior club that continues today.

Sandy Bay Lions Junior Football Club president Steven Hay yesterday said he had not heard about the Seagulls' stand-alone resurrection.

"We wouldn't have the resources, volunteers or even the support to even entertain the idea that is proposed here," Hay said.

"The other thing is we have to be respectful to Hobart Football Club who've had talks about a potential merger. That's the realistic option.

"What you have got here is five Northern clubs and one Southern one, the whole issue is travel and this is only going to compound it. We just don't have the resources or infrastructure at this stage.

"We've certainly got a good future with our juniors, that's why a merger with Hobart would look fairly attractive."

The five Northern clubs are keen to leave the NTFL and join a more even competition.

It is believed Northern clubs have asked if AFL Tasmania would run a league between the five Northern clubs even if all the Southern clubs reject the state league invitation.

Glenorchy has rejected the business plan for the new state competition.

Nevertheless, it is understood the Magpies have not ruled out ever joining a state league.

All 10 clubs invited to the new competition have until September 23 to make an in-principle commitment to join the new league.
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,24058314-13222,00.html

The Seagulls could fly again -- ten years after collapsing under financial pressure -- without merging with Hobart, as proposed in the AFL's state league business plan last month.

AFL Tasmania's state league Plan B is for the Bay to once again play on its traditional home ground at Queenborough.

Is this absolute desperation or what!
Yep, its a really great surface to play on at Queenborough!

And Sandy Bay would meet the financial criteria how?
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them back - so long as its on their own; much vetter to remain a non-entity than to go into a merger.
But they aren't going to be SWL, or even SFL, ready without massive asssistance that Tasmanian footy simply doesn't have the resources to provide.

Given Hutchins School own Queenborough Oval, I'd say chances are zip.

Oh yeah, I think Launceston had about 20mm last week, put that on the Queenborough track and it resembles the TCA surface....FAAAANNNNTTTAAASIC!

You want to know what's even better? The fact that there is a proposed Northern "Super League" that could go ahead if the Southern Clubs reject this proposal. A 5-team comp? :rolleyes:

Monna, dear Monna. I mention I was told by sources because that exactly what happened.

As much as you might like to think otherwise, I don't make up stuff to write on here.

Easy Barge.. Monna is just upset after being labelled a fat and slow on the old scholars board like the rest of the DOSA on-ballers..

AFL Tasmania will resurrect the Seagulls and initially run the club itself.
Interesting theory from a poster on the Mercury site re this;
How can AFL TAS do this ? simply ... every listed Devils player that doesn't make the first grade devil team play for the Sandy Bay Segulls . lance Spaulding will coach this team , as he needs to step down a level , this will take all the local SFL Club players that normally play with their local team if they don't make the devils team away from club footy , which will satisfy AFL TAS needs to punish local clubs for rejecting the new Statewide League
Posted by: jarrod read of hobart 4:22pm today

Pretty spot on I'd say.

Interesting theory from a poster on the Mercury site re this;

Pretty spot on I'd say.
That would be typed by Jarrod Reid, former Clarence premiership player too no less. :thumbsu:

Mercury said:
Sandy Bay Lions Junior Football Club president Steven Hay yesterday said he had not heard about the Seagulls' stand-alone resurrection.

"We wouldn't have the resources, volunteers or even the support to even entertain the idea that is proposed here," Hay said.

"The other thing is we have to be respectful to Hobart Football Club who've had talks about a potential merger. That's the realistic option.
Seems as though the Hobart Lions are more interested in trying to bring back the traditions of Sandy Bay rather than bother trying to get their own tradition back up and running.
"Where have all our supporters gone, why can't we get them back?" :thumbsdown:
Quite frankly, I'm really f*cked off about this.
Not surprised though, given the president is allegedly a former Bay fan.

Just on Queenborough, yeah it smells a bit but I quite like the ground, needs a shitload of work done to the middle though with it's drainage problems but...
But seriously, how the hell are Sandy Bay ever gonna come back I mean really?
They've got nothing set up, they'll have to play second fiddle to Hutchins OBFC who own the Queenborough Oval and have it entirely decked out in Hutchins colours.
Nearly choked on my cuppa Lipton Black today when I read this in the paper :eek:

Bay plan branded blackmail
BRETT STUBBS
July 23, 2008 12:00am
HOBART president Philip Baker says AFL Tasmania is in "fantasy land" if it thinks it can resurrect Sandy Bay for its proposed state league.
Baker says AFL Tasmania is stooping to blackmail.

And presidents of Southern clubs in negotiations with AFL Tasmania feel it simply shows the AFL's determination to get the competition up and running as soon as possible -- with or without them.

It was revealed in yesterday's Mercury the Seagulls could find themselves as the sole Southern representative in a revamped state league should the five currently proposed ones -- Hobart, Glenorchy, North Hobart, Clarence and Lauderdale -- decide not to accept the invitation.

The five Northern clubs (Burnie, Devonport, Launceston, South Launceston and North Launceston) appear to support the state league concept -- even wanting their own league should Southern sides not wish to join.

It has been 10 years since Sandy Bay collapsed under financial pressure and the initial state league blueprint from AFL Tasmania proposed a merger between Hobart and the Seagulls, who presently have a successful junior club.

Last month, Baker said a merger between his club and the defunct Sandy Bay would never happen, but left the door ajar for a joint state league venture with the juniors.

"My view is this whole issue is fantasy land stuff," Baker said yesterday.

"They AFL Tasmania should have another chat with Dennis Fuller former president of defunct club Southern Cats, he is still paying the debt off.

"I knew this was going to happen, it's like blackmail.

"Steve Hay, president of SBLJFC and I remain committed to doing something down the track.

"Between his junior set-up and our senior structure, I believe we can build the strongest club in Southern Tasmania. We don't need someone else outside the relationship trying to dictate when, where and why."

Clarence president Richard Mulligan and Lauderdale counterpart Phil Giffard believe the decision to possibly revive Sandy Bay shows AFL Tasmania will leave no stone unturned to get a state league.

Mulligan has already said Glenorchy's rejection of the initial proposal last week would have an influence on the Roos' decision, given the Eastern Shore club wants to play in any future same competition as the Magpies.

"It's not to be unexpected, I believe, and this is a personal comment, they will take whatever action they can to get a statewide league up and running," Mulligan said.

Added Giffard: "I think it just highlights the determination from AFL Tas to achieve their end goal."

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,24064059-13222,00.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Statewide League 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back