Statewide League 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

it has to happen if tassie want a team in the afl!!!! its not that hard.... typical tasmanians with this crap north south rivalry. get over it

WE, I couldnt give 2 hoots about the rivallry. I'm just stating what I have been told.
Its already been canned for next year. What will happen this time next year.
If it does eventually go ahead, it will fall over in 1-2 years. Everything will dry up. Money, players, supporters, sponsors etc

On a side note, what would happen to the teams that didnt join the statewide league??? and if the statewide league happened to fall over again, would they be welcome back into SFL. The only reason the they came into the SFL was because they didnt have anywhere else to go. I dont think the teams that stay would welcome them back, hope its not the case but i think its a strong possiblity.

I'm now in favour of it.

Fact is Southern Tassie does not have enough quality players the field 8 quailty teams.

Results from the weekend underline this.

Same problem up North.

Don't worry Barge I may change my mind again. You know what I am like!

But the problem will only shift, not disappear. Instead of having 5 good Southern sides playing 3 other dodgy ones in Hobart, and a similar ratio up North, you'll get half of the SWL playing good footy and the rest looking like any of several sides in the late 90's who either went winless or close, smashed every week by juggernauts, or even bankrupt - which is something they don't have to worry about as badly as they are. If pure talent arguments don't stratify teams, then the dollar will, and far more severely...and the left behind rivals suffer too...lose Ulverstone, or lose North and Launceston, and what are Penguin and South left to do...?

On a side note, what would happen to the teams that didnt join the statewide league??? and if the statewide league happened to fall over again, would they be welcome back into SFL. The only reason the they came into the SFL was because they didnt have anywhere else to go. I dont think the teams that stay would welcome them back, hope its not the case but i think its a strong possiblity.

What choice would they have, would they really blame them if the carrot looked big enough, and would they knock back old rivals who draw their biggest crowds?

What choice would they have, would they really blame them if the carrot looked big enough, and would they knock back old rivals who draw their biggest crowds?

I have heard that if Hobart or Kingborough are in the Statewide League then they will have to play home games at Nth Hobart.

Come on Kingborough Council make that ground down there happen for the good of your club and well I just think Hobart would be better served by playing maybe most of their home games at Nth Hobart Oval.

I will say it again, good grounds attract good players, the type of player that will win you finals games year in year out.

How many Ex Devils players are at clubs playing home games away from Nth HBT Oval, Bellerive or KGV?

If you were a Jack Boon and had the choice between developing your football on Nth Hobart Oval, Bellerive or The TCA which ground would you prefer?

I rest my case.

Duff TV said:
I have heard that if Hobart or Kingborough are in the Statewide League then they will have to play home games at Nth Hobart.
Also heard last night that Hobart have been invited to join, but curiously, New Norfolk have been overlooked.
If Norfik' can't get a game then I don't see Kingo getting a look in - well maybe they might, you now with the politics and all.... ;)
Also heard yet again that the clubs are apparently not that interested.
But, we'll see how it all goes I guess.

Duff TV said:
Come on Kingborough Council make that ground down there happen for the good of your club and well I just think Hobart would be better served by playing maybe most of their home games at Nth Hobart Oval.
They've been 'gunna build a new one' down there since 1983 - the year the Kingborough Council tried to coerce Sandy Bay into moving away from Queenborough to set up base down there.
Never happened, and I doubt it will, not with the amount of housing being built down there now. There won't be much room for a footy ground if the building boom down that way keeps going.
And yes, Hobart Tigers playing at League HQ with its home base all set up in the Plaister Stand would be terrific.
But, on the other side of the coin if the league is run by the same clowns that ran it in the 90's, I could just see the same thing happening all over again.
Hobart plays their games at North Hobart, the league gives North Hobart Football Club carte-blanche to run their bars and kiosks at Hobart home matches and the club makes next to no money from playing there and goes broke again.
This is the exact reason why Hobart went back and played several games at the dilapidated TCA Ground between 1994 and 1996.
To try and make some money from home games.
The league should've stepped in and stopped all that right from the start, but they were too weak.
It's the same reason why Sandy Bay went on their Milo & Otis journey around Southern Tassie playing home games all over the place.
They couldn't make a buck either! Would definitely have to be strongly policed. :cool:

Hitch for statewide footy league
AFL Tasmania's plans for a new statewide football league have suffered a setback.
At a meeting earlier this week, the Southern Football League clubs voted unanimously not to support AFL Tasmania's plans to start a new statewide league in 2009.
The SFL President Paul Harriss says there has not been enough detail provided and plans to introduce the competition next season are impractical.
Mr Harriss says AFL Tasmania is wasting its time if it tries to approach clubs individually.
"The clubs have cleary indicated what their position is and I can only assume they will stick with that decision that they took," Mr Harriss said.
AFL Tasmania has submitted a business plan to the AFL which has offered to help find financial support for the new league.
But its introduction now appears likely to be delayed

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/30/2260042.htm?section=sport

Hitch for statewide footy league
AFL Tasmania's plans for a new statewide football league have suffered a setback.
At a meeting earlier this week, the Southern Football League clubs voted unanimously not to support AFL Tasmania's plans to start a new statewide league in 2009.
The SFL President Paul Harriss says there has not been enough detail provided and plans to introduce the competition next season are impractical.
Mr Harriss says AFL Tasmania is wasting its time if it tries to approach clubs individually.
"The clubs have cleary indicated what their position is and I can only assume they will stick with that decision that they took," Mr Harriss said.
AFL Tasmania has submitted a business plan to the AFL which has offered to help find financial support for the new league.
But its introduction now appears likely to be delayed

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/30/2260042.htm?section=sport

well bugger me:eek:

No wonder everyone is confused...

Saturday, 31 May 2008
State league pushes ahead
By TERRY MORRIS
AFL Tasmania is pushing ahead with its plans to introduce a Statewide league competition in 2009.
This follows meetings in Melbourne yesterday between the AFL Tasmania and the AFL's game development manager David Matthews.
He said the AFL supported the push by the board of AFL Tasmania to continue to improve the quality of Tasmanian football.
"We encourage AFL Tasmania to progress with the implementation of their vision of a reinvigorated Tasmanian State League," he said.
"We anticipate that this implementation will require strong support from the stakeholders in Tamanian football."
AFL Tasmania chairman Dominic Baker said that David Matthews and AFL Tasmania general manager Scott Wade would aim to finalise the format and presentation of the Tasmanian State League business plan next week.
"The business plan should be formally endorses by the AFL and then publicly presented within the next two to three weeks," he said.
http://northerntasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/sports/state-league-pushes-ahead/1244173.html

No wonder everyone is confused...

Saturday, 31 May 2008
State league pushes ahead
By TERRY MORRIS
AFL Tasmania is pushing ahead with its plans to introduce a Statewide league competition in 2009.
This follows meetings in Melbourne yesterday between the AFL Tasmania and the AFL's game development manager David Matthews.
He said the AFL supported the push by the board of AFL Tasmania to continue to improve the quality of Tasmanian football.
"We encourage AFL Tasmania to progress with the implementation of their vision of a reinvigorated Tasmanian State League," he said.
"We anticipate that this implementation will require strong support from the stakeholders in Tamanian football."
AFL Tasmania chairman Dominic Baker said that David Matthews and AFL Tasmania general manager Scott Wade would aim to finalise the format and presentation of the Tasmanian State League business plan next week.
"The business plan should be formally endorses by the AFL and then publicly presented within the next two to three weeks," he said.
http://northerntasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/sports/state-league-pushes-ahead/1244173.html

Well all I can say is that everyone (again) at the footy this weekend just shakes their head and goes "It won't happen, we don't want it, it's all about AFL TAS talking it up and what they want, we don't want to be dictated by little Hitler, it's not 100% funded. Who wants it - we don't, forget it. The SFL is going OK etc etc. bla bla bla.......

Fact is this is being driven by two parties. 1. AFL TAS and
2. Those clubs in the Nth that feel isolated and bored in a lop sided competition.

Barge, I have swung back again! My view is that the SFL Premier League still has issues like getting Brighton up to being more competitive but in comparison to the NTFL it's a good comp and has a fantastic lower grade below it in the Regional League. The Premier League comp has come along in leaps and bounds since 2001 & gets better every year. Its a pretty good reason to stay as is.

Why the heck would the SFL or it Premier clubs want to undo all the good work? The rivalry is returning, the standard is fine and the longest trip is 40 mins to New Norfolk.

AFL Tas, your desires have merit but until you open the books, become part of the football family and change the man at the top it's just not going to happen!

Are you saying it's the responsibility of the SFL Premier League to get Brighton up to more competitive?

If the bush telegraph is right, then they have the two highest paid players in the comp (Senior coaches like Cat Geappen aside) so money isn't an issue for the Robins - never has been (Has it KNM!) :D

Perhaps if Brighton spread the wealth a bit more evenly than perhaps just dedicating the bulk to keeping 2, admittedly very good, players they may see an improvement of fortunes!

Seemed to be going just fine before the SFL was divided up into 2 leagues - came 4th in 2001 including beating Glenorchy - but unfortunately for them suffered an exodus before the '02 season and haven't been much chop ever since.

There's a very interesting (if extremely longwinded) letter from Hobart Lions president Philip Baker to Lions members sitting on my kitchen table that pretty much confirms what you are saying Duff.
Absolutely gives it to AFL Tasmania pretty much and states that none of the clubs actually support it.
When I get a bit of spare time I'll type it up on here.

There's a very interesting (if extremely longwinded) letter from Hobart Lions president Philip Baker to Lions members sitting on my kitchen table that pretty much confirms what you are saying Duff.
Absolutely gives it to AFL Tasmania pretty much and states that none of the clubs actually support it.
When I get a bit of spare time I'll type it up on here.

Kingpin, get that letter typed up mate.

Good points Barge you got me again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

920908g1.jpg

Says it all really about what happened with Statewide football, and it only got worse and worse.

Statewide league on again
JAMES BRESNEHAN
June 18, 2008 12:00am
TASMANIA'S new statewide football league will have 10 foundation teams when it kicks off in 2009 but there will be no cash injection for clubs.
The 10 elite clubs believed they would score grants of $50,000 to $60,000 a season for playing in the statewide competition.

They will be disappointed today when the "for your eyes only" document is circulated to their presidents.

It is proposed the South be represented by North Hobart, Clarence, Glenorchy, Hobart-Sandy Bay and Lauderdale.

In the North, the teams are North Launceston, South Launceston and Launceston, and on the North-West; Devonport and Burnie.

There will be a clash of colours between Glenorchy and Devonport (both Magpies), and North Launceston and Lauderdale (Bombers).

But jumper duplication is the least of the clubs' worries.

The business plan is one of the most anticipated documents in the history of Tasmanian football.

The competition will underpin the Tasmanian Devils VFL team and will force restructuring of regional leagues.

AFL Tasmania kept its cards close to its chest yesterday, reluctant to comment before clubs study the plan.

"We're not going to fund any club. We're not going to give any club anything to play in the state league," AFL Tasmania general manager Scott Wade said. "Funding will be provided to grow, develop and promote the game in development zones, which is similar to the old districts we used to have."

The plan has been five months in the making and Wade said it was approved by the AFL two weeks ago.

"We've been in consultation with clubs for eight or nine months," he said. "In simple terms, we are going to invite a small group of clubs to work with us more closely.

"When they see the business plan, digest the development focus, this will be the start of a new opportunity to grow develop and promote the game in Tasmania."

The last statewide league hit the rocks in 2000 when club debts grew and crowds dwindled in a tight state economy and with the arrival of saturation AFL television coverage.

Clubs were guilty of splashing money on high-profile recruits rather than investing in local youth.

Sandy Bay and the Southern Cats went to the wall, and Hobart and New Norfolk were seriously destabilised.

The defunct league's name changed from the TFL, to the TSFL, and finally collapsed when it was known as the Chickenfeed Super League
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,23882871-3462,00.html

Statewide league on again
JAMES BRESNEHAN
June 18, 2008 12:00am
TASMANIA'S new statewide football league will have 10 foundation teams when it kicks off in 2009 but there will be no cash injection for clubs.
The 10 elite clubs believed they would score grants of $50,000 to $60,000 a season for playing in the statewide competition.

They will be disappointed today when the "for your eyes only" document is circulated to their presidents.

It is proposed the South be represented by North Hobart, Clarence, Glenorchy, Hobart-Sandy Bay and Lauderdale.

In the North, the teams are North Launceston, South Launceston and Launceston, and on the North-West; Devonport and Burnie.

There will be a clash of colours between Glenorchy and Devonport (both Magpies), and North Launceston and Lauderdale (Bombers).

But jumper duplication is the least of the clubs' worries.

The business plan is one of the most anticipated documents in the history of Tasmanian football.

The competition will underpin the Tasmanian Devils VFL team and will force restructuring of regional leagues.

AFL Tasmania kept its cards close to its chest yesterday, reluctant to comment before clubs study the plan.

"We're not going to fund any club. We're not going to give any club anything to play in the state league," AFL Tasmania general manager Scott Wade said. "Funding will be provided to grow, develop and promote the game in development zones, which is similar to the old districts we used to have."

The plan has been five months in the making and Wade said it was approved by the AFL two weeks ago.

"We've been in consultation with clubs for eight or nine months," he said. "In simple terms, we are going to invite a small group of clubs to work with us more closely.

"When they see the business plan, digest the development focus, this will be the start of a new opportunity to grow develop and promote the game in Tasmania."

The last statewide league hit the rocks in 2000 when club debts grew and crowds dwindled in a tight state economy and with the arrival of saturation AFL television coverage.

Clubs were guilty of splashing money on high-profile recruits rather than investing in local youth.

Sandy Bay and the Southern Cats went to the wall, and Hobart and New Norfolk were seriously destabilised.

The defunct league's name changed from the TFL, to the TSFL, and finally collapsed when it was known as the Chickenfeed Super League
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,23882871-3462,00.html

The shit is certain to hit the fan re: The bolded part's about no cash injection. Surprising to hear?? Not really. Expect a brutal reply to come from one club at least in the next few days.

If I was a member of a club and had to vote on it tommorrow I'd reject it, clubs almost have nothing to gain from joining. Not sure if the SFL/NTFL give them anything, but christ you'd think in a higher league you'd be able to obtain some grant/cash injection somewhere??

So the 2 fastest growing areas in Southern Tasmania wont have a team ( Brighton and Kingborough ) seems a bit strange to me. But that OK wade has his beloved Lauderdale in and im sure the boys up in the valley wont be impressed and they have the best supports in SFL for travelling to away games... When was the last time AFL TAS went to a SFL game, not including a curtain raiser at bellerive

So what remains for the SFL, and the SFL regional league now?

Seems that Kingborough, Brighton and Sorell...the three fastest growing municipalities in the state...youngest population have no teams.

I would love to see SFL regional league become the best/best attended league in the state....statewide footy offers nothing to your average punter as far as I can see.

So what remains for the SFL, and the SFL regional league now?

Seems that Kingborough, Brighton and Sorell...the three fastest growing municipalities in the state...youngest population have no teams.

I would love to see SFL regional league become the best/best attended league in the state....statewide footy offers nothing to your average punter as far as I can see.

If the state league goes ahead with the thumbs up, it leaves 13 teams total. I'd say reform the SFL under one banner. You couldn't have a 6/7 or 7/6 split rationally.

Statewide League doomed

It wont happen;)

Only last Saturday I set off for my weekly filming of an SFL game and had to drive "all the way" to New Norfolk from New Town.

I thought to myself how good is this, just a nice stroll up the valley and there in 30 minutes.

Fact is for SFL Premier clubs its a land of luxury, an improving comp where travel is not an issue. Why complicate it?

2nd to that why would the SFL as a League want to lose its top teams?

If Tassie was a 5th of the size and not miles apart well yes go with an elite comp, but logic says no.

Sorry AFL TAS nice try but I don't like ya chances.

Southern club dubious about joining statewide footy league
One of the clubs targeted by AFL Tasmania for its proposed statewide league says there will have to be a good reason for it to abandon its current competition, the Southern Football League.
AFL Tasmania today gave clubs its blueprint for a statewide competition starting next season.
The President of the Lauderdale Football Club, Phil Giffard, says the club's board will examine the proposal carefully.
"We believe that we're sitting in the strongest and most vibrant football competition in Tasmania at the moment.
"We would need some very sound and strong reasoning as to why we would want to leave the strongest and most vibrant competition in Tasmania," he said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/18/2278993.htm?section=sport

Not sure if the SFL/NTFL give them anything, but christ you'd think in a higher league you'd be able to obtain some grant/cash injection somewhere??
And they possibly could, if it was about improving the standard of football in Tasmania. It isn't. Its about propping up a Tasmanian team (now just a Hobart team) that allows Wade and co an ego boost by meeting with people with AFL involvement every week, and allows the state to be seen as a suburb of Melbourne.

So they have gone back on the money side of their promises(didn't get the funding or have used it elsewhere), what else have they canned. They originally promised.
A seniors competition and under 23 or under 21 competition with a limited number of over-age players;
$50,000 a year for a development officer/ general manager;
Free buses to games;
No game levies;
No annual licence fees.

A guarantee of 70 per cent of games played in their local area,

Just out of curiosity for those whose clubs are involved - being one of those chosen - what is the feeling around each of your clubs and what way do you think the members will vote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Statewide League 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back