Statewide League 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Why all the secrecy or are they making it up as they go along. To put a major change into effect next year the planning should have all been completed ages ago. This has still got to be sold to the clubs and the public so don't consider it "Fait accompli" "Wadey"

Seal of approval for State League
JAMES BRESNEHAN
May 14, 2008 12:00am
AFL boss Andrew Demetriou has given Tasmania's proposed new statewide football league his seal of approval -- now eight to 12 teams are needed to kick off the league next year.
The green light from the AFL meant work on a comprehensive business plan could be started by AFL Tasmania this week.

At a meeting in Melbourne last Friday, AFL Tasmania board member Brendon Gale told Demetriou the business plan would be completed and back to the AFL by the end of the month.

The business plan will map out the competition's financial blueprint, as well as a schedule for putting the various elements in place.

It is hoped the AFL will contribute to the cost of setting up and running the "marque II" statewide competition, which would take the financial burden off the clubs involved.

AFL Tasmania revealed yesterday:

* The State League's member clubs would be existing clubs, not brand new entities as first mooted.

* Each club must commit to play only in the new statewide competition, and not continue to have a presence in their existing leagues.

* Each club must field seniors and reserves teams.

* A salary cap would ensure clubs focus on youth development and not high-priced imports, which was an issue in the original statewide league that ran from 1986-2000.

* Each club would be constitutionally bound to run tight financial books, which could be inspected at any time.

* The exact number of inaugural teams would not be revealed until the business plan was complete.

AFL Tasmania's chairman Dominic Baker said it was hoped some of the State League funding would come from the AFL.

"Our aim is to create a competition that is strategically sound," Baker said.

"The AFL agrees a statewide league will provide a tool to promote, grow and develop the game in Tasmania.

"One of the things we are hearing back from the clubs is that there must be strong funding for the competition, otherwise there is no incentive to leave their current situations.

"The money may come from the AFL, or through their sources, but we are confident that once the business plan is on the table the money will not be far behind it."
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,23696638-13222,00.html

Were we not already led to believe that the AFL had agreed to fund a re-born Statewide League?

Now we're hearing "It is hoped that the AFL will fund it/We're confident when they see the business plan the AFL will agree to fund it" blah blah blah.

"AFL Tasmania Board Member" Brendon Gale? With the small matter of running the AFL Players Association taking up most of his time, how much do you think he really cares about football in Tasmania?

Before some idiot gets on here to tell me - YES, I do know he's from Tasmania!

So for arguments sake, let's say North Hobart, Glenorchy, Clarence and Kingborough join this Statewide League are us southerners then led to believe the "new" SFL will then be New Norfolk, Hobart, Lauderdale, Brighton and the exisiting Regional League teams in a 14 team competition? Or 2 competitions of either 7 & 7 or 6 & 8?

So many questions, so little time!

I can see this being awfully, awfully rushed!

And for what?

To keep Cresswell happy, who let's be honest, if an appealing AFL Assistant Coaching job came up would be out of here in a second!

Same thing being reported in the north.

134.jpg

State footy league is on agenda

A STATEWIDE league is firmly fixed on the agenda for Tasmanian footy.

This was the message from AFL Tasmania after it met the AFL on Friday to discuss the concept.

The State and national bodies plan to finalise a detailed Tasmanian league business plan over the next few weeks, which will then need to be endorsed by the AFL executive management team.

AFL Tasmania chairman Dominic Baker said the time- frames around every element of the State league project would be incorporated within the business plan.

AFL Tasmania will consult leagues and clubs across the State about all the operational aspects of a State league.

The proposed league would be a club-based competition with each club required to fill two teams.

The number of clubs invited to join would be between eight and 12.

Baker said that AFL Tasmania would not be making any further public announcement about the league until the business plan and consultative process were completed.

- ROB SHAW

Flagging in a new "footy revolution" does look good on the resume, doesn't it...especially when the "business plan" conforms to the AFL model...all of a sudden, the reasoning is a little clearer...I knew that senior footy administrators couldn't be this stupid - it just HAD to be ambitious greed...

WHo really wants the Statewide League?

I talk to a lot of people everyday about the topic and I reckon 80% look with dazzed eyes and shake their head, really not sure about it, worried about many issues there are very valid.

Issues such as travel, who wants to travel, who can afford it, player payments, players, volunteers - the list goes on.

From head coaches to the barman no-one seems to go "Yeah, bloody great it's funded so lets do it".

Would I be right in saying that the North need it more than us down here?

I mean the SFL is going along fine, clubs are on their feet, Regional is always interesting from year to year and the Premier League is finally starting to even out.

I must admit I am still sitting on the fence with it all but who really wants the Statewide League? That must be the question and will the average Norm have any say in it?

Interesting debates on the way I dare say.

Re: WHo really wants the Statewide League?

Would I be right in saying that the North need it more than us down here?

I mean the SFL is going along fine, clubs are on their feet, Regional is always interesting from year to year and the Premier League is finally starting to even out.
The North don't need it either, both the NTFL and NTFA are in extremely strong financial positions with no financial backing from AFL Tas. Crowd numbers are good and clubs are nuturing strong local support. The reaction I have been getting is the same as yours Duff, bewildered shaking of heads.
Maybe we will see a "coup d'etat" in the next few months.

Thursday, 15 May 2008

NTFL rejects State league

By PHIL EDWARDS

THE NTFL board rejected AFL Tasmania's proposed Statewide football league model at its meeting on Tuesday saying that its preference was for a continuation of the existing Northern-based competition next season.
President Geoff Squibb said NTFL clubs did not believe that the AFL Tasmania eight to 12 club State league model with interested clubs fielding a senior and colts team would be in the best interests of football in Tasmania - particularly Northern Tasmania.
"We would prefer the NTFL to remain in its current format," Squibb said.
http://northerntasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/sports/ntfl-rejects-state-league/1240335.html

I just spoke to a high profile SFL player who said to me he was doubtfull he and fellow others of his age would be up for the new SWL.

I therefore ask the question again (4th time) what do the players want?

The question must be asked that if a truck load of high quality players are out then what's the point?

It could well be a Kindergarten League. Does the public want that?

He also said it (The SFL) was pretty good the way it was?

Some serious questions need to be answered.

League concept still has support
BY MARTIN AGATYN
21/05/2008 9:57:00 AM
AFL TASMANIA has moved to quash rumours that clubs are not interested in next year's proposed Statewide Football League.
General manager Scott Wade has completed the business plan for the competition, which will go to the AFL for endorsement and hopefully funding.
Wade said the plan was currently being ratified by AFL Tasmania's board of directors and would be in the hands of the AFL by the end of the week.
http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/...league-concept-still-has-support/774038.aspx#

League concept still has support
BY MARTIN AGATYN
21/05/2008 9:57:00 AM
AFL TASMANIA has moved to quash rumours that clubs are not interested in next year's proposed Statewide Football League.
General manager Scott Wade has completed the business plan for the competition, which will go to the AFL for endorsement and hopefully funding.
Wade said the plan was currently being ratified by AFL Tasmania's board of directors and would be in the hands of the AFL by the end of the week.
http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/...league-concept-still-has-support/774038.aspx#

It ain't going to happen Wade. You will not persuade the members to place their clubs in a comp run by yourself. Get out and ask the people who really make football tick over. That being the players and the supporters. They will tell you the same. It ain't going to happen.

Cause they will. What do they have to give up. They won't have to travel as much as the northern clubs, probably won't have to give up their club colours like they usually have to do up north. And when it falls over back you will go into your regional leagues and the ones that were conned into going into the SWL from up will have no where to go. The southern clubs have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Well it aint the same for the clubs up here. Wade is the stumbling block. Thats a fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a thought - which of Glenorchy or Devonport will be "The Magpies" and why and/or why won't the other keep the colours?

Or will they possibly take the common sense approach and, as North L'ton and Ulverstone do, wear an away strip when playing at the other club's venue?

Just had a thought - which of Glenorchy or Devonport will be "The Magpies" and why and/or why won't the other keep the colours?

Or will they possibly take the common sense approach and, as North L'ton and Ulverstone do, wear an away strip when playing at the other club's venue?

You are on the money again Barge but I reckon Devonport will have to change colors because Glenorchy has won more premierships.

Just joking, just joking!

By the way those who want to order a MAP jumper can make their pledge and I will be taking orders as soon as a sample arrives.

Looking @ $65 plus $5 postage.

You will be able to buy via the Duff TV website using credit card. A few weeks off so just hold out before sending me cash.

Barge if I get one in would you like to model one? Barge on the catwalk!

Duff

You just get the vision of Claremont v Sorell from FIVE WEEKS AGO up on your site before the Triabunna training run from last week and we'll get along just fine!

Speaking of the Bunna, I see Jarrod Bennett and Andrew Fleming aren't named for tomorrow's trip to Shark Park, wonder why that is?

Tough game maybe?

Barge if I get one in would you like to model one? Barge on the catwalk!
Duff

Ha ha, That is a pearler....:D :thumbsu::thumbsu:

The superstar "Timekeeper" from Claremont modelling a jumper of the MAP for Duff on the catwalk.

Better get the measurements off Barge to get a custom fitted jumper made up.:thumbsu:

Devonport will probably get told they can't wear the colours or have the Magpie, as they were the Blues in the old TFL.
Could one be the Magpies, and the other wear the colours?

Statewide competition on the agenda
BRETT STUBBS
May 27, 2008 12:00am
AFL Tasmania will meet with the AFL on Thursday to rubberstamp the new statewide competition.
AFL Tasmania general manager Scott Wade has submitted a business plan for the competition, slated for eight to 12 teams, to the AFL and believes the state can fund the competition without significant funding from the code's national governing body.

"We are attempting to generate a maximum of $500,000 a year for the next five years," Wade said yesterday.

"So $2.5 million over the next five years of new money for Tasmanian football, we think that is achievable. I don't think there is any expectation the AFL is going to write a big fat cheque out but we will work with all of our stakeholders, the AFL, all levels of government and our business partners to secure the money," he said.

"We are pretty confident we can secure the money."

Wade said now it was only a matter of time before the official launch of the competition.

"We really believe the establishment of the statewide league will reinvigorate Tasmanian football, something that clubs should begin to get quite excited about.

"We believe it is the key initiative that will continue to grow, develop and promote the game in Tasmania."

He said AFL Tasmania was still aiming to have the new competition started next year.

"Certainly the board and management are working their backsides off to make sure it is next year.

"In the business plan when we make that public in the next few weeks, there are some key time frames in there about certain dates that have to be meant but we are still committed to 2009 to being the date."
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,23765102-13222,00.html

I'm now in favour of it.

Fact is Southern Tassie does not have enough quality players the field 8 quailty teams.

Results from the weekend underline this.

Same problem up North.

Don't worry Barge I may change my mind again. You know what I am like!

Remove this Banner Ad

Statewide League 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back