Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

When Hawthorn came from 15 points down late in the final term to grab a 3-point victory over the Adelaide Crows last night, it was the Hawks' third consecutive win by a margin of 3 points, the reigning premiers having beaten the Bulldogs and Saints by the same margin in the past two matches.

Late in the 1984 season, Melbourne lost three successive games by 32-points but apart from these Hawks and Demons teams, I don't remember any other cases of teams winning or losing by the same margin three games in a row. Does anyone know of any other cases?

What is the longest winning streak by a team/teams in which their opponents scored 100 or more?

I have eventually gotten around to researching this myself. There has been one instance of four in a row, achieved by North Melbourne between rounds 8 and 11 of 1991:
round 8 22.18 (150) vs. Geelong 17.17 (119)
round 9 18.12 (120) vs. Adelaide 18.10 (118)
round 10 21.15 (141) vs. Footscray 18.19 (127)
round 11 18.22 (130) vs. Collingwood 17.12 (114)

There have been 17 instances of three in a row. The first one did not occur until 1967 and it has only happened once since the end of 1999.

Carlton round 21-Qual final 1982
Collingwood rounds 3-5, 1977
Collingwood rounds 20-22, 1978
Collingwood rounds 9-11, 1980 **
Fitzroy rounds 9-11, 1982
Footscray rounds 1-3, 1985
Geelong round 22, 1998-round 2, 1999
Geelong rounds 2-4, 2013
Hawthorn rounds 11-13, 1978
Hawthorn rounds 6-8, 1980
North Melbourne rounds 14-16, 1987
North Melbourne rounds 5-7, 1993
Richmond round 18, 2nd semi, grand final 1967
Richmond rounds 19-21, 1972
St. Kilda rounds 13-15, 1992
Sydney rounds 3-5, 1984
Sydney rounds 1-3, 1986

** Collingwood's streak was preceded by a 118-118 draw with Fitzroy.

don't know if this is the right thread for it but where can i find the stats for meters gained by players and intercept possessions and marks?

Just wondering if any of you (of if there is a website) have information on players and their set shots on goal. For example if such and such players kicks 500 goals...........of those goals - how many were set shots and behinds. Id like to find out to see how accurate a player is for set shots.

When Hawthorn came from 15 points down late in the final term to grab a 3-point victory over the Adelaide Crows last night, it was the Hawks' third consecutive win by a margin of 3 points, the reigning premiers having beaten the Bulldogs and Saints by the same margin in the past two matches.

Late in the 1984 season, Melbourne lost three successive games by 32-points but apart from these Hawks and Demons teams, I don't remember any other cases of teams winning or losing by the same margin three games in a row. Does anyone know of any other cases?
South Melbourne in 1918 won their final H/A game, the semi and the GF all by 5 points. I think it's the only other instance of 3 consecutive games won by the same margin.

South Melbourne in 1918 won their final H/A game, the semi and the GF all by 5 points. I think it's the only other instance of 3 consecutive games won by the same margin.
Essendon in 1947 won their round 15-16-17 games by 40 points.

Melbourne in 1928 round 9-10-11 played games with a 12-point margin, but it was L-W-W. Melbourne in 1967 round 17-18 and 1968 round 1 played games with a 4-point margin, but it was also L-W-W.

Essendon and Carlton were both been goalless for 47 minutes of playing time, over ~55 minutes of quarter time, what's the longest completely goalless period of time in a game in history?

Last edited:
What's the longest time a quater has ran for?
And also what's the longest time a final quarter has run for that was broadcast on channel 10?

In today's Herald-Sun (page 52) in discussing the Adelaide vs. Fremantle game, there is one paragraph which reads "Even Matthew Pavlich, in his 341st and what will be his last game in his home state, screamed back with the flight and held a courageous kamikaze mark."

Why would it be his final game in his home state? Has he announced his retirement?

Can anyone tell me the total number of teams that have been been in that champion data premiership window(>100 points for, <86 points against), I know 16/17 have won premierships from this bracket but I wanna know how accurate the stat is to deciding a premier team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon and Carlton were both been goalless for 47 minutes of playing time, over ~55 minutes of quarter time, what's the longest completely goalless period of time in a game in history?

Surely the all time record would be the Essendon vs South Melbourne game from round 3, 1899. Both teams were still goalless at three quarter time.

Well where does this rank?
Game: 42 minutes goalless
Essendon: 59 minutes goalless
Carlton: 51 minutes goalless

Can anyone tell me the total number of teams that have been been in that champion data premiership window(>100 points for, <86 points against), I know 16/17 have won premierships from this bracket but I wanna know how accurate the stat is to deciding a premier team

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
At the end of the season? Since 2000?

- 36 teams have been in there at the end of the season since 2000
- 14 have won the flag
- 7 others have finished runner-up

At s

- 14 have won the flag

Thank you.
Yes at season end, what's kingy on about when he says 16/17?
So 2/5 pretty good odds on a 5 yr plan/focus, if u can get to that level that is

In today's Herald-Sun (page 52) in discussing the Adelaide vs. Fremantle game, there is one paragraph which reads "Even Matthew Pavlich, in his 341st and what will be his last game in his home state, screamed back with the flight and held a courageous kamikaze mark."

Why would it be his final game in his home state? Has he announced his retirement?
Everyone (me included!) are assuming that his will be his last season. Freo don't play at Adelaide again in 2016. It's highly unlikely that he'd go around again. He's basically been cooked for the last 2 seasons.

At s

Thank you.
Yes at season end, what's kingy on about when he says 16/17?
So 2/5 pretty good odds on a 5 yr plan/focus, if u can get to that level that is
I don't know why they go back 17 seasons, they seem to say 2000 which would make it 16 seasons. Also 1999 North Melbourne does not fit into the hot plot anyway.

As per the Twitter account updates:

They do say that 16/17 (let's say 15 out of 16) for both defence and attack:
- Sydney missed attack in 2005 (scored 89.7 points per game)
- Brisbane missed defence in 2001 (conceded 90.4 points a game)

- 14 have won the flag

Where were the other two winners from? + Attack - Defense, - Attack + Defense or - Attack - Defense?

Where were the other two winners from? + Attack - Defense, - Attack + Defense or - Attack - Defense?
As per above:
They do say that 16/17 (let's say 15 out of 16) for both defence and attack:
- Sydney missed attack in 2005 (scored 89.7 points per game)
- Brisbane missed defence in 2001 (conceded 90.4 points a game)

Well where does this rank?
Game: 42 minutes goalless
Essendon: 59 minutes goalless
Carlton: 51 minutes goalless

West Coast were goaless for 53 minutes vs Hawthorn in 2012, Essendon were goalless for 61 minutes last year vs. Geelong.
Geelong were goalless for the final 3 quaters vs Carlton 2002.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back