Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Post your stats questions here

On the Couch last night briefly mentioned a mid-season draft, therefore:

Q1. Which players have played for two clubs in the same year?

Q2. Did any of those players play finals in that year?

The stats board won't get far unless someone has all the answers, anyway:

Supposedly Richmond at 1-7 are still a chance for the finals. My question is:

What are the worst 0-x, 1-x and 2-x W/L records where a team has still made finals?

Collingwood were 0-5 (and 1-5) in 1959 and made the finals.
Essendon were 1-5 in 1981 and made the finals.
Hawthorn were 1.5-5.5 (and 2.5-6.5) in 1996 and made the finals.

Conversely, Melbourne were 5-0 in 1971 and missed the finals by 3 games and 17.2% :eek:

And again, Melbourne in 1965 were 8-0 and missed the finals by 2 games and 36.7% :eek::eek:

On the Couch last night briefly mentioned a mid-season draft, therefore:

Q1. Which players have played for two clubs in the same year?

Q2. Did any of those players play finals in that year?

Was going to say Craig McGrath, who the Eagles picked up in the mid-season draft of 1990 and went on to play in the two Qualifying Finals against Collingwood that year, but it turns out he didn't actually play for Fitzroy in the first part of the season.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the shortest time has been between a player retiring and their son making their debut?

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the shortest time has been between a player retiring and their son making their debut?

Not sure, but here's some notables.

Ted Whitten Snr & Ted Whitten Jnr - 4 year gap (1970-74)
Gary Ablett Snr & Gary Ablett Jnr - 6 year gap (1996-2002)
Tim & Jobe Watson - 9 year gap (1994-2003)
David & Jason Cloke - 11 year gap (1991-2002)

I think the Whitten one would be hard to top.

I have 249 instances of players switching teams (some have done it more than once), the last one David Johnston, Ess -> Fit, 1992. 40 of whom played finals, the last one being Trevor Spencer in 1991.

Collingwood's 0-5 (1959) is indeed the worst winless start for a finalist.
Fitzroy were 1-8 and last in 1984, finished 5th. They obviously went 2-8.
(We won't count 1916, where Fitzroy were 2-9-1, last and finalists)
Hawthorn were 2-6-1 in 1996, finished 8th.

Other collapses, North 6-0 in 1959, and bunch of 5-0s
Richmond 9-1, in 1936, and bunch of 9-2s

I have an interesting question:

What's are the biggest turnarounds in a game? Say being down by heaps, and winning by heaps?

Not just like down by 20 and winning by 80 to make it an 100 point turn around.

It got me thinking because I just played a fantasy match where my side was 43 points down at half time, only to pile on 14 goals to 1 in the second half and win by 43 points themselves :eek:

Which also makes me wonder, has a team being down a large margin at half time, to end up winning by the same margin?

What's are the biggest turnarounds in a game? Say being down by heaps, and winning by heaps?

This game

Sydney scores 19 goals in the first half and lead by 30 points at half time before scoring only two goals in the second half to go down by 54 points.

As for turnarounds from game-to-game, the biggest in 1991, Hawthorn beat Fitzroy by 157 points, only to face us (WCE) the next round and lose by 82... a 239 point turnaround.

Similarly in the same season (but not as drastic a turnaround as it was staggered), from rounds 14-16, Collingwood beat Sydney by 99 points, Adelaide by 123 and Footscray by 53 points, before coming up against us and losing by 81 points.

(Collingwood stats in these games are remarkable for the fact they had 396, 441 and 423 possessions in their wins (amazing for the day), yet were held to only 293 possessions by the Eagles in their loss.)

For other game-to-game turnarounds, go here.

Not sure, but here's some notables.

Ted Whitten Snr & Ted Whitten Jnr - 4 year gap (1970-74)
Gary Ablett Snr & Gary Ablett Jnr - 6 year gap (1996-2002)

I think the Whitten one would be hard to top.

New leader: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barker,_Sr.

Syd Barker Sr played for North Melbourne in 1927 (aged 39).

His son, Syd Barker Jr played for North Melbourne in 1930 (aged 18)

just a quick one, i had a quick look around but couldnt find it.

who has played the most amount of consecutive games starting with their debut. ??

cheers if someone can find this.

who has played the most amount of consecutive games starting with their debut. ??

Jared Crouch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VFL/AFL_records#Most_consecutive_games

Jim Stynes - played 5 in 15 weeks, then 244 straight
Adem Yze - missed 7 in 2 1/2 years, then 226 straight
Adam Goodes - 18 straight, out for 3 weeks, then 204 straight
Jared Crouch - 194 straight off

FYI: current games (most will not be from debut) - http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/succgames.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton trailed Richmond by 35 pts at qrt time, won by 71pts, for 106
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1976/031419760515.html

Essendon trailed Nth by 38 at the half, won by 37 pts, for 75
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1941/051219410503.html

This also is the best 3rd qrt turnaround, as Ess. were still trailing by 28 at 3/4 time.

Of course there are bigger blowouts after trailing, but these are after trailing by larger margins.

Biggest trail at a quarter and win, Ess 58
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2001/051220010722.html

Biggest win after trailing at a quarter, Ric. 152
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1980/141519800720.html

On how many occasions in the last few years has a team, any team, been held goalless for a quarter?

For a half?

Been a few this year already.

Wow! Just looking at the 1945 season and Carlton's premiership win would have to be one of the most unexpected in history. Just look at their ladder position from week to week, as well as their percentage, and they were lucky to get anywhere near the finals let alone win the flag!
good pick up. i wonder where dan put them in his all-time premiers list (a list i quite enjoy reading unlike a lot of people, even if it is a bit flawed). they'd have to be in the bottom 10. i had a quick search for the thread but couldn't find it.

What's the highest guernsey number worn in a senior game? 55 or so?

I'm not counting Harry Taylor wearing #85 for the second half against Melbourne last year.

okk here's one i was thinking about and i'd say only ronthebear or *paul* would be able to answer it and it's just to do with fatigue and momentum of teams.

in the past 10 years (or longer, or could get a decade by decade breakdown) what is the record of a team after they have won a quarter.

basically, how often does the team that wins the first quarter go on to win the second quarter. how often does the team that wins the second quarter go on to win the third quarter, and finally how often does a team that wins the third quarter go on to win the fourth quarter.

i reckon the 3rd-4th quarter would be significantly higher than the other two (i reckon it would be up around 75-80%) because when fatigue kicks in (usually around late in the third quarter) it is very hard for teams to stop the opposition momentum. on top of that, often a team has the game won by three quarter time and the opposition packs it in.

i also reckon 2nd-3rd quarter would be the lowest because of the half-time gap stopping the momentum of a lot of teams.

When was the last time 16th place on the ladder beat 1st place on the ladder?

If my memory serves me correct, in Round 9, 2006, Collingwood (1 win/16th) defeated West Coast (undefeated/1st).

Teams who have won Q2 after winning Q1
Alltime: 5902 / 13139 - 45%
Last 10 years: 985 / 1876 - 52%

Q3 after Q2
Alltime: 6143 / 13167 - 46%
Last 10 years: 1038 / 1871 - 55%

Q4 after Q3
Alltime: 6414 / 13152 - 49%
Last 10 years: 1041 / 1883 - 55%

Alltime figures seem counter-intuitive, but the sums look right.

Milestones in a round, and last beat first will take a little more work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back