Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

This is quite true, the goal actually came at the 26 minute mark of the final quarter. However it is basically impossible to note how many minutes Carlton went goalless over the entire game unless the complete game itself can be witnessed. I have not been able to find it on YouTube or on fnwb.com.au., and I don't own a copy of the game. YouTube has only the final five and a half minutes of the game.

25 + 25 + 25 +26 = 101 minimum with no time on, clock only stopped for goals then I think, so add 1 min for each goal, pretty accurate.

It's relatively well known that in 1941 the VFL, SANFL and WAFL premiers all wore red and blue, and in 1990 all wore black and white. But have the wooden spooners in these leagues all worn the same colours? There's a chance that they all might be black and red this year

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

What is the longest "Double Drought" currently in the VFL/AFL.

All I know is that it is at least 28 years - Melbourne over Collingwood twice - not since 1988.

What an indictment on the Melbourne Football Club. Is this the longest drought for any two Melbourne clubs?

It's surely gotta go close.

In other words, Melbourne has NEVER done the double over Collingwood in the AFL.

Just to refresh your memories, these were the scorelines in 1988. In fact, they actually did a rare triple over the Pies back in '88.

No doubt Gazza & Jim played starring roles as well.

Round 10, 1988. Melbourne 12.12.84 d Collingwood 10.11.71 (Waverley Park)
Round 16, 1988. Melbourne 14.10.94 d Collingwood 6.12.48 (MCG)
1988 Semi-Final. Melbourne 13.17.95 d Collingwood 12.10.82 (MCG)

The point is - surely the 28 year drought breaks this week?

Are there any other doubles that stretch back to VFL days?

For the purposes of this question at least 5 clubs can be eliminated from the reckoning, perhaps 6 if you include the Brisbane Lions.

Paul Stewart - Port Adelaide vs. Adelaide 2013 Rd. 19 appears to have been the most recent case (prior to the unfortunate Casboult):-
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2013/011320130804.html

Fraser Gehrig managed it as well - St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs 2007 Rd. 18:- http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2007/071520070803.html

Stewart had 3% game time which would make sense, Gehrig 89% game time, I've no idea what was going on there!

Gehrig took a contested mark in the forward fifty but a free was given off the ball. The same thing happened earlier in the quarter when Milne kicked a goal but was disallowed because of a free kick.

Its explained here:

www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/sport/bulldogs-and-saints-play-out-draw/2007/08/03/1185648153048.html&cid=1118609648&ei=-2yzRqPJBoH20QGbw6GpBQ

Last week, Tom Mitchell had 33 touches without taking a mark.

Is there anyone who has had more touches without taking a mark?

After its win against Brisbane, Fremantle now has an average winning margin of 81 points from its two wins so far this season.

What is the highest average winning margin for a team over the entire season?

Geelong's last seven matches have seen the opposing sides score (from the Suns game in Round 6) the tallies of behinds in this order.

6,7,6,8,8,4,2.....41 behinds in 7 games.

RogersResults has already pointed out that the 97 behinds scored against Geelong in the 12 games is the lowest tally after 12 matches since 1901, but has any other side in modern times had such accuracy scored against a particular opponent? The total score against Geelong in these 7 games has been 88.41 in this stretch, at a clip higher than 68%.

Geelong has scored 108.109 in that time at a pretty standard for Geelong conversion rate of 50%.

It's relatively well known that in 1941 the VFL, SANFL and WAFL premiers all wore red and blue, and in 1990 all wore black and white. But have the wooden spooners in these leagues all worn the same colours? There's a chance that they all might be black and red this year

The only season I could think of was 1996, where three teams that currently or previously used the name "The Maroons" all finished last in three major leagues.

These were the Fitzroy Lions in the AFL, the Subiaco Lions in the WAFL and the Traralgon Maroons in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only season I could think of was 1996, where three teams that currently or previously used the name "The Maroons" all finished last in three major leagues.

These were the Fitzroy Lions in the AFL, the Subiaco Lions in the WAFL and the Traralgon Maroons in the VFL.

I managed to find a wooden spoon trifecta for you.

In 1919, the red and blue teams all finished last in the VFL, WAFL and SANFL, with Melbourne, West Perth and Norwood collecting wooden spoons in these respective leagues. Port Melbourne while not finishing last also had a very poor VFA season that year.

I managed to find a wooden spoon trifecta for you.

In 1919, the red and blue teams all finished last in the VFL, WAFL and SANFL, with Melbourne, West Perth and Norwood collecting wooden spoons in these respective leagues. Port Melbourne while not finishing last also had a very poor VFA season that year.
Well done!

General ongoing research question...
has anyone else been working on compilation of a list showing which players spent their entire VFL/AFL career on the bench ?

For example, this article a couple of years ago about Andy Demetriou (1977, 1 game, Sth Melb)
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-unwanted-record/story-fni5ezdm-1226889981313

So far, I believe I've found 21 players fitting the criteria, including four players who had two games as 19th or 20th man and never came onto the field during play.

Hawthorn had 270 disposals last night. How long has it been since they have had so few?
Hawthorn had 267 disposals in Round 2, 2009 against Sydney (in a 38 point loss), and that appears to be the answer.

Attachments

• Hawthorn - Least Disposals in a Match.TXT
    8.1 KB · Views: 53
Hawthorn had 270 disposals last night. How long has it been since they have had so few?

Brisbane had 1 contested mark today. Is that the lowest ever recorded?
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_season_records

Essendon also had just one contested mark earlier this year (vs. Geelong April 16) according to Footywire.

Hawthorn's 270 disposals is the 2016 Team Game Low Record.

Well done!

There are some examples of a number of teams with the same colours/logo losing the Grand Final in the same season:

1982 - The Tigers - Richmond, Claremont and Glenelg - contested the VFL, WAFL & SANFL Grand Finals, and all lost to Carlton, Swan Districts and Norwood.

1993 - Red & Blue teams in West Perth (WAFL), Norwood (SANFL) and Port Melbourne (VFA) made the Grand Finals, and all suffered heavy defeats, respectively to Claremont, WWT Eagles and Werribee. The Melbourne Reserves defied the trend, winning the 1993 Reserve Grade Premiership over North.

hey guys. just after a link to a site that specifically states free kick stats for high tackles. e.g who has most.
Keep hearing Sicily 4th, Toby Mclean is up there, just need something to verify this...
help appreciated. who is 1? selwood? link would be great. cheers.

hey guys. just after a link to a site that specifically states free kick stats for high tackles. e.g who has most.
Keep hearing Sicily 4th, Toby Mclean is up there, just need something to verify this...
help appreciated. who is 1? selwood? link would be great. cheers.
I'm pretty sure those are the kind of stats that are kept under lock and key by Champion Data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back