Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the list. I would have sworn the game below made the list.

At half time I said to my mate this is the worst game I've ever watched. We were in a pub in Sydney and early in the 3rd quarter we got up and left and went to watch a band. Got A bit of a shock when I got home and saw the scores. If it was going to be a draw I would have picked 30-40 pts each, based on how bad it was. Still reckon its the worst game I have watched, well 2.x quarters that I watched were.

The last one on Swamp's list is another shocker Saints v Swans game at Docklands.

R5
A​
St Kilda
0.2 1.4 2.6 8.8​
56​
2.2 2.2 5.5 8.8​
56​
D​
0​
119-3-68​
Docklands​
21007​
Sat 27-Apr-2002 7:10 PM​

That St Kilda Sydney game at Docklands is legendary - it always gets a run in 'Worst games you've watched' etc.

I watched on TV and do remember how numbingly bad it was.

There was some media that the 84,659 attendance at the Collingwood v Melbourne King's Birthday game was the highest H&A crowd for the two teams since 1964.

While this is a massive crowd, it was only the second highest attended game for the round. The Essendon v Carlton game the night before drew a crowd of 88,510.

A quick search shows two other rounds where the second-largest crowd was higher.

In Round 1 of 2023, a crowd of 86,595 attended the Geelong v Collingwood game, slightly less than the 88,084 who attended the Richmond v Carlton game the night before.

And in Round 8 of 2024, a crowd of 87,775 attended the Geelong v Carlton game after 93,644 people had attended the Essendon v Collingwood Anzac Day clash.

Is the Round 8 figure the record - or has there been another round where more than 87,775 people attended a game that wasn't the highest drawing game of the round?

There was some media that the 84,659 attendance at the Collingwood v Melbourne King's Birthday game was the highest H&A crowd for the two teams since 1964.

While this is a massive crowd, it was only the second highest attended game for the round. The Essendon v Carlton game the night before drew a crowd of 88,510.

A quick search shows two other rounds where the second-largest crowd was higher.

In Round 1 of 2023, a crowd of 86,595 attended the Geelong v Collingwood game, slightly less than the 88,084 who attended the Richmond v Carlton game the night before.

And in Round 8 of 2024, a crowd of 87,775 attended the Geelong v Carlton game after 93,644 people had attended the Essendon v Collingwood Anzac Day clash.

Is the Round 8 figure the record - or has there been another round where more than 87,775 people attended a game that wasn't the highest drawing game of the round?
The full list of MCG crowds is at the following link. Quick scan says the Geelong v Carlton game is the best #2 crowd for any round, but you can go thru it more thoroughly than me.

Wests Tigers collected the 2023 NRL wooden spoon after a dismal campaign sent them to the bottom with a 4-20 record.

The Tigers however did have two amazing records in a match against North Queensland in Round 12 in mid-May, when they thrashed the Cowboys 66-18 at Leichardt Oval in Sydney. It was the Tigers' highest ever score since commencing the joint venture in 2000, the score of 66 and winning margin of 48 points among the highest for a team finishing last (one or both might even be the highest, I couldn't find these records), even when counting the 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs and 2010 Melbourne Storm teams that were stripped of all competition points in those seasons.

Six weeks later in Round 18 the Tigers travelled to Townsville for a rematch with North Queensland - and stood back helpless watching as the Cowboys ran in 13 tries and kicked 11 goals to win the match 74-0, a turnaround of 122 points in just five matches (both teams had a bye during these weeks). North Queensland's 74 point win was the biggest in top grade rugby league since 1935.

I know the greatest turnaround in the AFL is 214 points in 1992, when a red hot Geelong thrashed the Adelaide Crows by 123-points 32.18-210 to 12.15-87 at Kardinia Park in Round 8, and Adelaide got their revenge by thrashing Geelong by 91-points in a very one-sided return match at Football Park in Round 23, 24.25-169 to 11.12-78. However in this case nearly four months had gone by, the Crows had hit good late-season form while the Cats were starting to look shaky in the run home to September.

However, do you know of any astonishing turnarounds by AFL (or other high level leagues like VFL/VFA, Talent League, SANFL, WAFL & other state/territory leagues) teams meeting in such a short space of time like NRL teams the Tigers and the Cowboys last year? Or very different matches, like the same teams playing a 1980s/1990s style shoot-out one match with both scores over 120-points; then in the next game a month later they play a war of attrition in which neither team cracks 50 points?

One I do know of is East Fremantle and West Perth in 1981. In those days the WAFL was 8 teams that would play each other 3 times per season. In the first match against West Perth East Fremantle would win by 74 points, West Perth would beat East Fremantle by 178-points in their next meeting, before East Fremantle beat West Perth by 36 points in their third and final meeting for 1981, leaving plenty of Sharks and Falcons fans with whiplash. And just to make it stranger, West Perth would themselves lose a match by 180 points this season, to South Fremantle in the last round.

When was the last time a team won a game, then doubled its score the next week but lost? St Kilda win 51-48 then lose 106-126

In 1999 Port Adelaide's 4.8-32 was enough to beat Richmond 3.12-30 in teeming rain in a Saturday night match at Football Park in Adelaide, but when the Power travelled to Canberra the next Sunday for a match against North Melbourne their 18.18-126 left them adrift of the Kangaroos by 7-points (20.13-133)

Close was mid 1991, where in Round 11 the Sydney Swans impressive 18.13-121 wasn't enough to stop them getting a 47-point hiding from the Brisbane Bears (26.12-168) at the SCG in a high scoring Sunday afternoon match in fine weather. The next week the Swans played the Bulldogs in heavy rain on a muddy, cold Western Oval on the Saturday of Round 12 - and their humble 5.5-35 was enough for them to draw against Footscray (4.11-35).

Astonishingly, the Swans' next game against the Bulldogs was in Round 4 1992 and saw an aggregate of 284 points at the SCG, the Dogs winning 25.15-165 to 17.17-119 in a high-scoring match closer than the final scores most of the day, Footscray kicking away in time-on of the last term.

Wests Tigers collected the 2023 NRL wooden spoon after a dismal campaign sent them to the bottom with a 4-20 record.

The Tigers however did have two amazing records in a match against North Queensland in Round 12 in mid-May, when they thrashed the Cowboys 66-18 at Leichardt Oval in Sydney. It was the Tigers' highest ever score since commencing the joint venture in 2000, the score of 66 and winning margin of 48 points among the highest for a team finishing last (one or both might even be the highest, I couldn't find these records), even when counting the 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs and 2010 Melbourne Storm teams that were stripped of all competition points in those seasons.

Six weeks later in Round 18 the Tigers travelled to Townsville for a rematch with North Queensland - and stood back helpless watching as the Cowboys ran in 13 tries and kicked 11 goals to win the match 74-0, a turnaround of 122 points in just five matches (both teams had a bye during these weeks). North Queensland's 74 point win was the biggest in top grade rugby league since 1935.

I know the greatest turnaround in the AFL is 214 points in 1992, when a red hot Geelong thrashed the Adelaide Crows by 123-points 32.18-210 to 12.15-87 at Kardinia Park in Round 8, and Adelaide got their revenge by thrashing Geelong by 91-points in a very one-sided return match at Football Park in Round 23, 24.25-169 to 11.12-78. However in this case nearly four months had gone by, the Crows had hit good late-season form while the Cats were starting to look shaky in the run home to September.

However, do you know of any astonishing turnarounds by AFL (or other high level leagues like VFL/VFA, Talent League, SANFL, WAFL & other state/territory leagues) teams meeting in such a short space of time like NRL teams the Tigers and the Cowboys last year? Or very different matches, like the same teams playing a 1980s/1990s style shoot-out one match with both scores over 120-points; then in the next game a month later they play a war of attrition in which neither team cracks 50 points?

One I do know of is East Fremantle and West Perth in 1981. In those days the WAFL was 8 teams that would play each other 3 times per season. In the first match against West Perth East Fremantle would win by 74 points, West Perth would beat East Fremantle by 178-points in their next meeting, before East Fremantle beat West Perth by 36 points in their third and final meeting for 1981, leaving plenty of Sharks and Falcons fans with whiplash. And just to make it stranger, West Perth would themselves lose a match by 180 points this season, to South Fremantle in the last round.
West Perth vs East Perth in the 2014 WAFL season produced some oddities.

In round four, WP destroyed EP 149-49. This is the only time in the long history of these arch-nemeses battles that the final margin has been three figures.

The next match up (round ten) was the traditional WA day match which EP won 69-53. Nothing noteworthy here.

The final match was in round 18 on a wet day with about a third of Leederville Oval a puddle. East Perth destroyed their opponents winning by 21 which doesn't sound too amazing. However the final score was EP 39-18. It was West Perth's lowest score for 95 years and second lowest score in a Perth derby. A weird subplot to this match is earlier in the week, West Perth played the Grand Final of the National Foxtel Cup and kicked just one goal in that match!

So, in 2014 West Perth:
  • Kept East Perth to respectable scores of 39, 49 and 69 points yet only won one of the matches;
  • Recorded their lowest score in a Perth Derby for 95 years, AND in another, won by the biggest margin;
  • Scored 149 in one match and not even half of that total in the next two (71);
  • Beat the 2014 minor premiers and grand finalist by 100 points and yet didn't make finals themselves!

West Perth vs East Perth in the 2014 WAFL season produced some oddities.

In round four, WP destroyed EP 149-49. This is the only time in the long history of these arch-nemeses battles that the final margin has been three figures.

The next match up (round ten) was the traditional WA day match which EP won 69-53. Nothing noteworthy here.

The final match was in round 18 on a wet day with about a third of Leederville Oval a puddle. East Perth destroyed their opponents winning by 21 which doesn't sound too amazing. However the final score was EP 39-18. It was West Perth's lowest score for 95 years and second lowest score in a Perth derby. A weird subplot to this match is earlier in the week, West Perth played the Grand Final of the National Foxtel Cup and kicked just one goal in that match!

So, in 2014 West Perth:
  • Kept East Perth to respectable scores of 39, 49 and 69 points yet only won one of the matches;
  • Recorded their lowest score in a Perth Derby for 95 years, AND in another, won by the biggest margin;
  • Scored 149 in one match and not even half of that total in the next two (71);
  • Beat the 2014 minor premiers and grand finalist by 100 points and yet didn't make finals themselves!

Those scores are amazing. IIRC there was another year around this era where Perth thrashed East Perth by about 80 points, and then about 6 weeks later East Perth demolished Perth by 20 goals.

Results aside there have been some interesting WAFL fixturing anomalies where there were 9 teams playing 20 matches over about 23 or 24 rounds, and taking into account fixturing for public holiday games and around the AFL it was quite a challenge, and IIRC outsourced to the mathematics department of a university. However, there have been some quirks come up from time to time.

I recall Perth and Peel Thunder meeting in successive weeks at Lathlain Park sometime in the late 1990s, and another time where East Perth and Swan Districts also played each other in successive rounds, albeit at different venues. Another year Claremont and Subiaco didn't meet each other until July by which time many teams had played some opponents twice, while in another season East Fremantle and Swans met in Round 1 but did not face off again until very late in the year. I'm pretty sure there was another season where West Perth and South Fremantle played each other twice early in the year, then didn't meet again for the rest of the season, but don't recall when that was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those scores are amazing. IIRC there was another year around this era where Perth thrashed East Perth by about 80 points, and then about 6 weeks later East Perth demolished Perth by 20 goals.
You might be thinking of Subiaco and East Fremantle in 2016:

Round 8 (7 May): East Fremantle 120-40
Round 13 (19 June): Subiaco 110-32

158 point turnaround in just six weeks!

Is there a compilation of every known instance of the AFL admitting an umpiring decision was incorrect? Feel like we'll get one tonight or tomorrow regarding the missed 50m penalty decision

Early in the third quarter of today's game between North Melbourne and Collingwood, the combined goals and behinds were 24 goals 4 behinds, for an accuracy rate of 86%.

What's the highest total accuracy rate for that high of a score, that late in the game? Sorry, a bit hard to set the parameters, but it was a phenomenal display of kicking early today.

Early in the third quarter of today's game between North Melbourne and Collingwood, the combined goals and behinds were 24 goals 4 behinds, for an accuracy rate of 86%.

What's the highest total accuracy rate for that high of a score, that late in the game? Sorry, a bit hard to set the parameters, but it was a phenomenal display of kicking early today.
39.10 for a full game is about as good as it gets, where at last 25 goals have been kicked I reckon.

I remember watching the game with my crows mate when I lived in Sydney. You can scan more games at;

84.00 Adelaide3.09.015.221.4130 Essendon5.310.416.418.6114 DocklandsSun-07-Jun R11 2009

I wanna say Kurt Tippett kicked 7 goals that game.

Richo on 7 asked the question if anyone had scored 3 goals quicker than Crisp and said I wonder if JK would know, ie Josh Kay aka SirSwampthing.

Came back from a commercial break and near end of the next segment said Swamp has just come up with the answer, Brad Miller in 2004, 2 minutes 18 seconds. Didn't say how much of game clock time that was.

Its this game Melbourne v Richmond Rd 17 2004

AFL Tables only introduced time stamps in 2001 so who knows if there was a quicker 3 goals is years prior to AFL Tables time stamping things.

Brad Ottens behind
6m 17s​
5.5.35 - 6.3.39
5.5.35 - 7.3.45
8m 11s​
Brad Miller goal
5.5.35 - 8.3.51
9m 8s​
Brad Miller goal
5.5.35 - 9.3.57
10m 29s​
Brad Miller goal