Player Watch Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon this is a bad idea.
Too many older players on the list.
We have one more crack at it with the current list, I'd rather see 5/6 good games next year from aging Sidey than 10 mediocre games from our mid-season additions.

We need to hear more from the people who wanted him off the list 4 years ago.... Did they have anything to say after that goal in the grand final?
Pretty sure most know I’m a big supporter of Sidey.
But 4 years ago he was not playing his best and under Buckley was being played out of position. And it really looked like he was miserable and had lost confidence in the coach, the game plane and unfortunately himself.
So glad the new broom reignited his passion and his ability.
Deserves one more campaign. And if he doesn’t get a senior spot each week I would expect him to play VFL where he can teach our up and comers about how to play the game.
Win/win.

We need to hear more from the people who wanted him off the list 4 years ago.... Did they have anything to say after that goal in the grand final?
They didn’t have anything to say directly after the grand final, but have had plenty to say during this season.

Not sure how his form on GF day in 2023 is relevant to an entire season of games in 2024.

At his age he's naturally on borrowed time, the end is coming and while he arguably had his best game of the season last week I feel we've started to see signs that he's finally succumbing to father time.

I'd describe his season as middling, not poor, not great but good enough in the minds of the coaches that when combined with his experience he held his place.

At his peak he was averaging high 20's and kicking double figure amount of goals per year.

He currently has the lowest disposal average of his career outside his debut season. He's kicked 3 goals. I'd argue the hurt factor per disposal doesn't appear what it once was.

That's not even meant as a criticism just an observation of what you'd expect for a player declining with age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure most know I’m a big supporter of Sidey.
But 4 years ago he was not playing his best and under Buckley was being played out of position. And it really looked like he was miserable and had lost confidence in the coach, the game plane and unfortunately himself.
So glad the new broom reignited his passion and his ability.
Deserves one more campaign. And if he doesn’t get a senior spot each week I would expect him to play VFL where he can teach our up and comers about how to play the game.
Win/win.

well my theory is that you dont move someone along until you find someone who can actually get the ball a couple of times in a game to replace him...

Not sure how his form on GF day in 2023 is relevant to an entire season of games in 2024.

Well let me explain because it's a complex piece of thinking..... there were people who wanted him thrown off the list a few years back....

now here's the hard part...

if he was thrown off the list during the covid years, he might have struggled to get a game in the grand final last year.... and if he didnt play, he might have struggled to kick that winning goal...

i hope you can see the intention of my initial post...

Well let me explain because it's a complex piece of thinking..... there were people who wanted him thrown off the list a few years back....

now here's the hard part...

if he was thrown off the list during the covid years, he might have struggled to get a game in the grand final last year.... and if he didnt play, he might have struggled to kick that winning goal...

i hope you can see the intention of my initial post...

And staying with that logic Buckley would still be our coach? Grundy our ruckman?

I wanted him gone 4 years ago. Egg on face here! Just shows how badly Bucks coached some of our players.

Im all for playing youth , who do we have that is pushing him out is the question . Happy he has signed on

Love Sidey and happy to see him get another year but...

...as one commentator said, "I think you have to give him another year but tell him look, you may spend some of it helping kids out in the VFL, if we feel we need to bring others through."

I wanted him gone 4 years ago. Egg on face here! Just shows how badly Bucks coached some of our players.

Im all for playing youth , who do we have that is pushing him out is the question . Happy he has signed on

god bless you. you are forgiven having confessed your sin. I'd also love to steele to be thrown off the list for a nick daicos clone, recruited by derek at pick 76....but alas, derek's dreams seldom come true...so we'll keep him until someone in the vfl actually looks like they can get a kick

Last edited:
And staying with that logic Buckley would still be our coach? Grundy our ruckman?

we found someone better to replace buckley.....tell derek to find someone better to replace steele and i'll be the first to boot sidebottom out the door..

as for grundy, he got depressed and sad after he signed the massive contract ....steele seems to have kept his smile. If steele stops smiling, kick him off the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back