Player Watch Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

we found someone better to replace buckley.....tell derek to find someone better to replace steele and i'll be the first to boot sidebottom out the door..

as for grundy, he got depressed and sad after he signed the massive contract ....steele seems to have kept his smile. If steele stops smiling, kick him off the list.

Only after letting Buckley go. At the time of letting Buckley go, no one knew Fly would be out coach and whether he would be any good.

I have no problems with keeping Steele. My problem is everyone being wise in hindsight and having a crack at those that have an opinion.

Onya Sidey. Has embraced some new roles this year, still looks strong over the ball and won’t lose his smarts so I’m fine with this news👍
And he just ran with the best runner in the league - so he's still got that as well.

What's declined is the amount of time he has with the ball - he's become a bit of a dump kicker.

I think run-with will be his go next year.

We need to hear more from the people who wanted him off the list 4 years ago.... Did they have anything to say after that goal in the grand final?

Only that if he was taken off the list 4 years ago he wouldn't have kicked that goal! 🤷‍♂️

Only after letting Buckley go. At the time of letting Buckley go, no one knew Fly would be out coach and whether he would be any good.

I have no problems with keeping Steele. My problem is everyone being wise in hindsight and having a crack at those that have an opinion.

I like the people who can change their opinions with hindsight...flexibility

Looks like derek hine should be moved along, eh?

I like the people who can change their opinions with hindsight...flexibility

Looks like derek hine should be moved along, eh?

100% Hine should be moved on.

Flexible but sometimes the alternative is stubborn? Happy to be considered flexible over stubborn.

100% Hine should be moved on.

Flexible but sometimes the alternative is stubborn? Happy to be considered flexible over stubborn.

There's a certain "live in the moment" attitude that will allow a person to sink the boots in one year, and then sing the praises in the next. A goldfish view on life...although it seems that recent research has said that their memory extends beyond 3 seconds...

Love Sidey and happy to see him get another year but...

...as one commentator said, "I think you have to give him another year but tell him look, you may spend some of it helping kids out in the VFL, if we feel we need to bring others through."

Reminds me of Lonie and O'Bree in 2010, difference is we legitimately had young players pushing them out of the side.

has anyone explained why we turfed out poulter? i feel sorry for derek after he managed to find someone who could get a kick....

I think I remember Jen2310 or someone saying the knock on him was he couldn't get his head around our gameplan and just ran around a bit like a headless chicken.

I think I remember Jen2310 or someone saying the knock on him was he couldn't get his head around our gameplan and just ran around a bit like a headless chicken.
Just assumption that he didn''t fit fly's game style with the way he played. But he's clearly become a better player now. You'd prob rather him on the wing than bytel.

And he just ran with the best runner in the league - so he's still got that as well.

What's declined is the amount of time he has with the ball - he's become a bit of a dump kicker.

I think run-with will be his go next year.
Yes agree although I think the switch to half back earlier in the year and the competition wide emphasis on forward 50 pressure probably upped the dump kick tally. Run with and he’ll be hard for opponents to shake. I previously preferred him not to go into centre bounces but he has been good when in there recently and in a few games he’s thrown his weight around and tackled really well. New tricks for the old dog and loved how he’s embraced that.

Not sure how his form on GF day in 2023 is relevant to an entire season of games in 2024.

At his age he's naturally on borrowed time, the end is coming and while he arguably had his best game of the season last week I feel we've started to see signs that he's finally succumbing to father time.

I'd describe his season as middling, not poor, not great but good enough in the minds of the coaches that when combined with his experience he held his place.

At his peak he was averaging high 20's and kicking double figure amount of goals per year.

He currently has the lowest disposal average of his career outside his debut season. He's kicked 3 goals. I'd argue the hurt factor per disposal doesn't appear what it once was.

That's not even meant as a criticism just an observation of what you'd expect for a player declining with age.
My hope is that that his form this season is a result of our team being poorer in the middle and moving the ball slower from the back half thus not getting it to the outside to likes of him, Lipinski’s etc. so it’s possible his form improves next year as a result of those things improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how his form on GF day in 2023 is relevant to an entire season of games in 2024.

At his age he's naturally on borrowed time, the end is coming and while he arguably had his best game of the season last week I feel we've started to see signs that he's finally succumbing to father time.

I'd describe his season as middling, not poor, not great but good enough in the minds of the coaches that when combined with his experience he held his place.

At his peak he was averaging high 20's and kicking double figure amount of goals per year.

He currently has the lowest disposal average of his career outside his debut season. He's kicked 3 goals. I'd argue the hurt factor per disposal doesn't appear what it once was.

That's not even meant as a criticism just an observation of what you'd expect for a player declining with age.
Sidearse at 50% is still a better player than many in the best 18.
We hold him to a high standard due to his longevity at the highest level.
Steel is also extremely versatile.
That said the end comes for ever player.

It will be a very sad day when Sidearse hangs up the boots.

When he retires I will shed a tear.

As a 300+ game player and dual premiership winner his legacy is assured.
What will be missed most is his infectious grin and obvious love of being on the ground in Black and White.

I hope he has a few more boys.

I’m really glad this one’s basically settled because I was beginning to worry he wouldn’t get a proper send off. My only doubt is around veterans going with gas in the tank, but I think his last 4-6 weeks has been solid enough to suggest the kids need to step it up to take his spot next year. I’m also glad McRae acknowledged that it challenges our ability to stagger our departures, but next year will be the last for at least 2-3 of Howe, Pendles, Steele and Cox which is a reasonable starting point.

Last edited:
I think Sidey is the closest to being done from our list, based on the season so far.

I'm not against this, due to our squad depth being poor and a lack of guys underneath demanding a spot.

I'd hope there is an agreement that he may have to potentially play VFL or be rested throughout the year.

My overall concerns with Sidey, is at times the lack of physicality over the ball and tackling efforts which are emphasized as he slows down.

I also don't want him playing half back or wing predominantly, as I think he lacks the pace, penetration by foot and defensive support required.

I see some onball run with and defensive half forward positions when playing as maybe adding more to the team going forward.

Love Sidey and happy to see him get another year but...

...as one commentator said, "I think you have to give him another year but tell him look, you may spend some of it helping kids out in the VFL, if we feel we need to bring others through."
And hope to God they have taken pay cuts to play on Ala Tom Hawkins

Wanted to be Nick Cave and that moroseness doesn't fly with Fly.

Just assumption that he didn''t fit fly's game style with the way he played. But he's clearly become a better player now. You'd prob rather him on the wing than bytel.

i'd rather have nave cave on the wing than bytel...or even kylie

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back