News Steele Wins Time Trial

Remove this Banner Ad

From Twitter:
Collingwood_FC Top three in the 2km time trial: Steele Sidebottom, @harry_o and Brad Dick. Well done boys.

Good to See Hary and Dicky up there

Suprised no Photo's and Article about it

I hope dicky doesn't get injured next year i think he's going to be a really good player for us.

Wonder if Steele had his smile on when he crossed the line?:D

Great effort by Harry O, he could be unstoppable next year. Being from Brazil, i wonder how long he's actually been playing Aussie Rules?
He's possibly still on an upward learning curve...scary :eek:

Brad Dick...maybe its the pessimist in me...not bullish. He's so slight, he's got no muscle to protect those stretched, weakened shoulder ligs...like Rus, he'll be a target; a long career will surprise ( and delight) me, bigtime.

Great effort by Harry O, he could be unstoppable next year. Being from Brazil, i wonder how long he's actually been playing Aussie Rules?
He's possibly still on an upward learning curve...scary :eek:

HarryO's been playing Football almost his whole life his footy idol is Michael Long and his pet dog was called Sheeds He migrated here with his mother at a very young age.

do people actually think all the players participated? you've got to be kidding yourselves. pendles, cribbin? im sure not all the players did the trial. dick? honestly? i doubt he'd make the top 10 let alone top 3

do people actually think all the players participated? you've got to be kidding yourselves. pendles, cribbin? im sure not all the players did the trial. dick? honestly? i doubt he'd make the top 10 let alone top 3
Pendles was there, I think a lot of the playing group would have been too. Whether they went all out is a different matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't have expected Pendles to be top 3 anyway. Sidey would always have beaten him and I would expect Beams to as well. Dawes would also be a possibility. Then also as you said, Cribbin.

Harry is a big surprise, a great one. His running capacity improved massively last season but I actually think he went backwards as a player even though he won AA. He was MUCH better in 2008/2009. Last year he looked lost at times (brilliant at others and I think he deserved his AA spot anyway) as he didn't know whether he was a linebreaker or a stopper. He went from being the best defender in the league on smalls to being very leaky with more attacking responsibility.

I actually think this time trial result might be a sign of things to come, with the endurance directive coming from coaching. I expect Taz to play Harry's 2009 role [take best small, occasionally tall (also occasional forward foray even though Harry's never done this)] and Harry to play as a pure runner with even more limited defensive responsibilities. He could be absolutely devastating on a HB / wing rather than BP / HB if he didn't have to worry about minding a Yarran type. He brushes off tackles easier than any player I've ever seen, is massive, is super quick, a booming kick, amazing one on one and good overhead. With elite endurance he could dominate the competition. He would be the hardest matchup in our side in that role and would really add a new dimension to our side. Maybe the coaches saw what Goddard did to us in the Grand Finals and figured we could get something similar out of Harry'O (obviously doesn't kick it as well but every bit as good one on one and is quicker). Does anyone else see this happening?

I wouldn't have expected Pendles to be top 3 anyway. Sidey would always have beaten him and I would expect Beams to as well. Dawes would also be a possibility. Then also as you said, Cribbin.

Harry is a big surprise, a great one. His running capacity improved massively last season but I actually think he went backwards as a player even though he won AA. He was MUCH better in 2008/2009. Last year he looked lost at times (brilliant at others and I think he deserved his AA spot anyway) as he didn't know whether he was a linebreaker or a stopper. He went from being the best defender in the league on smalls to being very leaky with more attacking responsibility.

I actually think this time trial result might be a sign of things to come, with the endurance directive coming from coaching. I expect Taz to play Harry's 2009 role [take best small, occasionally tall (also occasional forward foray even though Harry's never done this)] and Harry to play as a pure runner with even more limited defensive responsibilities. He could be absolutely devastating on a HB / wing rather than BP / HB if he didn't have to worry about minding a Yarran type. He brushes off tackles easier than any player I've ever seen, is massive, is super quick, a booming kick, amazing one on one and good overhead. With elite endurance he could dominate the competition. He would be the hardest matchup in our side in that role and would really add a new dimension to our side. Maybe the coaches saw what Goddard did to us in the Grand Finals and figured we could get something similar out of Harry'O (obviously doesn't kick it as well but every bit as good one on one and is quicker). Does anyone else see this happening?

I would love to see Harry freed up. He would certainly be a force to be reckoned with and would find himself tagged pretty quickly. This though would free Heater up. I think the comparisons to Goddard are a tad optimistic.

I see his value in being able to break up the zones & forward pressure by running, carrying & kicking long. This is going to be really important as I expect zones & forward pressure to go to another level from other clubs. We need some weapons to combat that.

I would love to see Harry freed up. He would certainly be a force to be reckoned with and would find himself tagged pretty quickly. This though would free Heater up. I think the comparisons to Goddard are a tad optimistic.

I see his value in being able to break up the zones & forward pressure by running, carrying & kicking long. This is going to be really important as I expect zones & forward pressure to go to another level from other clubs. We need some weapons to combat that.

Of course if we are talking about quality I fully agree with you. Goddard is simply a freak of nature. I just meant that Harry could play a similar role in that he could be an oversized utility with good endurance who could play a number of different roles and present a tough matchup. He would play the role entirely different and I doubt he could play as a genuine midfielder like Goddard wither.

I agree that Harry could be a pretty wicked zone breaker. He's just so quick for a player of his height and so strong for a player of his pace. Athletically he is a rare commodity and he has a lot of flare.

I reckon some people have been a little hard on Harry. Yes he probably conceeded a few more goals than he did the year before but I think he more than made up for it with his rebound from defence and 30 odd goals in the H and A when he plays on the likes of Stevie j, Milnes, Le cras, bruce , cyril etc etc I reckon is not too bad at all. He had a patch mid to late of 4 or 5 game where he was not at his best but other than that he was superb. I is Unco as all buggery but he is a dead set Gun.

I think it could free up Shaw a bit more as well. I think Harry is suited to defense running forward, he doesn't seem like much of a target up forward, more of a dangerous stopper and creator of play who can finish off play. But then he hasn't really played much football up the ground either.

Pendles just "tweeted" this;

SP_10 Scott Pendlebury

Gosch's Paddock tomorrow 915 opening training session, get down and have a look at all the new players and see how we are tracking for 2011

Oh, and the premiership captain has made it to Twitter.:D

http://twitter.com/#!/maxy_5

I expect Taz to play Harry's 2009 role [take best small, occasionally tall (also occasional forward foray even though Harry's never done this)]

You're kidding me with the "go forward" aspect aren't you?

Yes, I know he spent many a year at FF for us. Though if you happen to have watched any Dockers games, you would see that once he started playing as a defender, his forward penetration and accuracy at goal actually got worse. (If that's possible...)

Brad Dick...maybe its the pessimist in me...not bullish. He's so slight, he's got no muscle to protect those stretched, weakened shoulder ligs...like Rus, he'll be a target; a long career will surprise ( and delight) me, bigtime.

Having x amount of muscle around the shoulder joint has no bearing on the possibility of the shoulder dislocating or not, it all comes down to the strength of the capsule that holds it in place. Some people just have looser joints/ ligaments/ tendons than others and bulking up to high hell doesn't make one iota of difference. Other than that though like i agree with you I he has talent and it would be great to see him get a full run at it.

You're kidding me with the "go forward" aspect aren't you?

Yes, I know he spent many a year at FF for us. Though if you happen to have watched any Dockers games, you would see that once he started playing as a defender, his forward penetration and accuracy at goal actually got worse. (If that's possible...)

You read the occasionally part right?

If Tarrant is to play for us for 2 or 3 seasons and not once play in the forward line I would be very surprised. I think he'll predominantly play back as well, that's what I said in my post.

Having x amount of muscle around the shoulder joint has no bearing on the possibility of the shoulder dislocating or not, it all comes down to the strength of the capsule that holds it in place. Some people just have looser joints/ ligaments/ tendons than others and bulking up to high hell doesn't make one iota of difference. Other than that though like i agree with you I he has talent and it would be great to see him get a full run at it.

look mate dont be ridiculous. you are correct in saying that ligament strength, capsule stability are major factors in the occurance of shoulder dislocations, but i can 100% assure you that if two people have similar joint stability, the guy built like a toothpick has a greater chance of dislocating his shoulder compared to a solidly built person, given the angle of impact, force of impact, arm position, etc is constant

Remove this Banner Ad

News Steele Wins Time Trial

Remove this Banner Ad

Back