Stenglein decides

Remove this Banner Ad

I would guess that the Eagles are the team he wants to go to, what would you want from them?
Might have to bring in another team - Essendon?? M. Johnson?

Yeah whats with the eagles supporters on heres huge opinion of their side? They still havent convinced me there a geniune contender

here's the bad news:

Adelaide midfielder Tyson Stenglein today said he wanted to play for a Western Australian AFL club next season.
Stenglein said his decision was based purely on family reasons, with his family living in Perth.
"This decision has not been easy and is based solely on family reasons as I have now lived away from them for six years," Stenglein said.
"I wish to put on record that I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Adelaide Football Club."
Crows football operations manager John Reid said the club reluctantly accepted Stenglein's decision and would seek to organise a trade with the Fremantle Dockers or the West Coast Eagles.
Reid said the Crows wanted a player of similar value in return rather than draft picks.
But he said there was no guarantee a deal would be done and Stenglein could end up remaining with the Crows if one of the WA clubs was not willing to make a reasonable offer.
Stenglein was originally recruited from Subiaco in Perth and has played 106 AFL games for the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grolm37 said:
ok so who were those tosser eagles supporters saying they wouldn’t want steinglein and he wasn’t needed by WCE - obviously WCE have sized him up
Mate they can talk all they want but the fact remains that, last time Stinger was out of contract Adelaide had to fend off a really aggressive WC to keep Stinger and every year since then WC have approached Adelaide during the trade week asking if Stinger is possibly on the table.

WC have been "recruiting" Stinger since the beggining of the year and were not going to take no for an answer. What also helped them is Stinger's situation which is of personal nature and is teh primamry reason he is going back. I said here ages ago that WC have already had "feeler" conversations with AFC about Stinger. The club tried its best to keep him but for a number of personal reasons they couldn't.

WC want him and have wanted him for a long while now and no matter what their supporters say about him now, they will be bragging on about him next year. I am certain that we will get a good deal for him because history will suggest that AFC and WC get the trades done with minimum of fuss.

Now we can debate all we like what he is worth and what he is not. Some of our posters overrate him, the WC posters greatly underrate him. Clubs will most probably come up with a trade that is a win-win and I wouldn't be surprised if its the one of the first deals done during the trade week.

Stinga is a good player -- but if the corws can go about this well they will win from this trade

A waters, butler or even someone like seaby may well be offered

BUt i say go for JUDD!!!

Fred Phillis said:
1. Reid said the Crows wanted a player of similar value in return rather than draft picks.

2. But he said there was no guarantee a deal would be done and Stenglein could end up remaining with the Crows if one of the WA clubs was not willing to make a reasonable offer.
1. Obviously AFC don't rate the draft overly well so they are after a player. Maybe the Waters rumour isn't a porky after all:)

2. Thats music to my ears. About time we take a tough stance:D

Stiffy_18 said:
1. Obviously AFC don't rate the draft overly well so they are after a player. Maybe the Waters rumour isn't a porky after all:)
How about we even up a Stenglein - Waters trade with the swapping of late draft picks (given there will be good 5 picks or so differential between our picks & the Weagles).

"About time we take a tough stance" says Stiffy...could not agree with u more, we must gain from losing stenglein, not just break even...play hard ball if we have to but don't settle for just breaking even...

This part is the key.

Fred Phillis said:
But he said there was no guarantee a deal would be done and Stenglein could end up remaining with the Crows if one of the WA clubs was not willing to make a reasonable offer.

I would have preferred if those words had come from Stinger's mouth, rather than John Reid's, something along the lines of "I won't leave the AFC unless the deal is fair". Somehow I'm sure that we will get screwed on this one.

Also, the unstated virtual nomination of the Eagles does not put us in a strong position IMO.

If they come to us with a crap deal, let him take his chances in the draft. I have scant respect for players who put clubs in this position. If he wanted to go home, why didn't he tell us so at the end of last year when we could have attempted to arrange a trade from a position of reasonable power due to him still being contracted.

JR's comments re: a player in return are heartening....as we've said..Seaby or Waters will do nicely - but with a huge gap between Roo/Macca/Goody and Reilly/Skippy/Shirley...I think it needs to be a midfielder or draft pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Stenglein decides

Remove this Banner Ad

Back