Roast Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd was copping hard tags in his second year.

He struggled occasionally in 2003 then exploded in 2004.

Yep, Judd was most certainly tagged hard from his 2nd year onwards. And by 2004 he dominated anyway. Which is why from 2005 onwards a lot of tags started going on Kerr instead because they got more bang for their buck.

Tag Judd, he'd still get 25-35 possessions and hurt you.
Tag Kerr, he'd struggle to get 5 and be essentially non-existent.

I'm starting to think even with Fyfe, Barlow, Mundy and Morabito on the park, Hill will still get a run-with opponent because so far it means his output is severely reduced. A few coaches even said as much last year when Fyfe was ripping it up.

Essentially, tag Mundy, Barlow and to a lesser extent Fyfe, they still towel you up most days. Tag Hill, he goes absent.

Pure and simple, Hill has to get better, do the team things if he can't break free and lose the timidness. But I don't think we'll have to wait as long as North did with Wells before he gets it.

So we had a comparable Kerr, Cousins, fletcher midfield as well last year? My point is Judd was very much helped by an extremely talented midfield around him that got the first tag more oftem than not in '04, if you disagree with that then your memory of 04 was a lot different than mine.

It's not about who else was in the midfield. In 2003, almost every team went to Judd. He was easily the most damaging West Coast player. Freo put their best tagger (Carr) on him. St Kilda sent Baker to him. He didn't need help.

Hill's struggling to beat players like Taylor Hunt or Polkinghorne/Raines.

The excuses need to cease.

It's not about who else was in the midfield. In 2003, almost every team went to Judd. He was easily the most damaging West Coast player. Freo put their best tagger (Carr) on him. St Kilda sent Baker to him. He didn't need help.

True. But West Coast also had Chick, Rowan Jones and each of the other mids run blocks for each other.

Hill isn't in the same class as Judd. Few are. But I'm sure Judd also had the benefit of assistance from his team mates every now and then.

But he will benefit from help, as we seem to do a very poor job blocking, shepherding and scraping off taggers. This isn't the only reason he's struggling to break the tag, but it certainly doesn't help... and it doesn't help his confidence either.

Clay, do you still think he's an inside mid?

You're going to the stats game?

Try watching the kid play, watch his tentative approach on the ball.

Then watch, Judd, Ablett, Cotchin, Watson, Mitchell, Selwood, Kennedy, Murphy, Thompson.

Then assess their respective attacks on the ball as opposed to Hill.

Then come back to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're going to the stats game?

Try watching the kid play, watch his tentative approach on the ball.

Then watch, Judd, Ablett, Cotchin, Watson, Mitchell, Selwood, Kennedy, Murphy, Thompson.

Then assess their respective attacks on the ball as opposed to Hill.

Then come back to me.
I have watched him play. A lot. He wasn't tentative in his first year. Or the start of his second. He can win the ball on the inside and then break free from congestion.

Mundy had a weak attack on the ball for five years. Who is now our best inside mid?

As stated earlier, your reading on players is pathetic at best. See your threads on Ablett.

I have watched him play. A lot. He wasn't tentative in his first year. Or the start of his second. He can win the ball on the inside and then break free from congestion.

Mundy had a weak attack on the ball for five years. Who is now our best inside mid?

As stated earlier, your reading on players is pathetic at best. See your threads on Ablett.

Lol who's been on Mundy from day dot?????

And actually read what I have written in the Ablett thread.

Could learn a thing or two.

In the last 2 games he has more contested possessions than uncontested.

I think that Lyon has given him a directive to win the contested ball and I think that He values him enough to give him time to do it.

I can't find Hills 2011 contested possession stats, but I think he's doing not too bad this year. It is round 3 remember?

As I said a couple of pages ago, he is winning the contested ball already this year. By the middle of this year expect him to be winning a lot more.

I think that it is unfortunate that in the last couple of years he hasn't been challenged to win his own ball, but I think Hill will either look back on his career and know when he became a great player because he took his game into his own hands or he won't.

Other players blocking for him might help, but it shouldn't be the decider on whether he has a good game or not.

Lol who's been on Mundy from day dot?????

And actually read what I have written in the Ablett thread.

Could learn a thing or two.

I don't recall any Pav4AA threads boosting him as an inside mid in 2006. A lot of threads comparing him to Deledio, for some reason.

Both Bomber Thompson and Chris Scott have said that most junior players come into the AFL with inferior ball winning and inside skills, and it must be taught. Hill has attributes where if he is forced to win his own ball he can become elite. But you want to concede the matter and have him become a tagger.

I guess that's why you have a 1:1 post to alias ratio, so no one can dig up your past idiotic statements with any ease.

Ok champ.

Keep firing away at the man.

There's a difference between a tagger and run with player, maybe I should have been clearer.

A tagger has one purpose to stop a bloke, he doesn't care about winning it himself.

Then I have run with players who follow a player and try and keep him quiet whilst working off him the other way, obviously their first priority is to keep their man quiet, then keep them honest the other way, tire them out as take advantage of any who don't want to run the other way.

That's what Hill was good at at underage level, that's perfect for him at AFL level.

There is no doubt that the players could do more to help out Stephen. You can actually see in games that when Hilly gets the Footy the rest of the team seem to think to themselves that the job is done as if Hilly is going to dash and take care of the rest. They automatically think that he is going to run at least 20m with the footy and so often don't present for quick handballs. He can't break the lines everytime he gets the pill.

Hill has always been a tough player when he gets fired up. It has seemed that he promised so much flying on the radar and becoming our number one player and getting the #1 tag.

From there it has been a downward path with glimpses and flashes. I used to laugh at commentators that said he always needed his left, as he always had a right foot better than most natural right kicks in the game.

This year I am questioning his confidence. Reality is I know he offers more than most on our list and he just needs to start breaking the lines.

I think with Mundy, Fyfe, Barlow and Ballantyne we may see Hill gain some much needed confidence. From their he will get a tag again, and that is his issue as we all know. Glad he is on our list and I would keep picking him.

He comes into my KFC at least twice a week -- maybe if he stopped eating such shit he'd be playing better

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back