Roast Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Hill is burning teams late in games.

Would rather he was involved the entire game, but if he is going to be one of our best when the game is on the line late, I'll take it.

It might take 3 and a half quarters to break his tag, but he is doing it. Will only improve on that.

Why don't our players give whoever is tagging Hill a hard time..? Ive saw Clarke get into one of the Brisbane players, would be good to see some of our players go for Jones at the start of the game...

Either that or get Hilly to do it himself.

Can we put in him a ring/octagon yet? Get some mongrel in him so he can start ripping games apart already.

Hill is burning teams late in games.

Would rather he was involved the entire game, but if he is going to be one of our best when the game is on the line late, I'll take it.

It might take 3 and a half quarters to break his tag, but he is doing it. Will only improve on that.

Right, so we are effectively a player down for 3.5 quarters because Hill can't break a tag? When the commentators said that I almost laughed myself out of my luxurious chair.

How about he puts his head over the ball when it's on the ground in front of him. How about he demands his team mates block for him. He's as quiet as a mouse on the field. He basically needs confidence, and the thing is, I don't know if someone like him can ever get there.

Someone like Ablet has extreme confidence because his genetics and upbringing ensured it. So when his first years weren't that good (he still had extreme talent) he put in the dedication to get fitter and stronger and look what happened. Hill has to make it all himself and I can't see someone like him ever doing it unless they have some life changing event happen to them. Someone like Fyfe just naturally is confident, and look how a tag doesn't really affect him.

Between Hill, Mayne, DeBoer, Ibbo and Johnson in the SAME starting 22 I think we must have the most nervous nellies going around in the league.

Play him in his natural role.

He's no ball hunter.

In the last 2 games he has more contested possessions than uncontested.

I think that Lyon has given him a directive to win the contested ball and I think that He values him enough to give him time to do it.

I can't find Hills 2011 contested possession stats, but I think he's doing not too bad this year. It is round 3 remember?

Probably could at a club where other players supported their team mates.

That my friends is the kicker.

You could put Judd or Ablett in there and it wouldn't make one scrap of difference.

Even the crappest teams do it for their main playmaker.

Still a joke that we haven't improved this from schoolyard footy in nearly 2 decades.

That my friends is the kicker.

You could put Judd or Ablett in there and it wouldn't make one scrap of difference.

Even the crappest teams do it for their main playmaker.

Still a joke that we haven't improved this from schoolyard footy in nearly 2 decades.

I agree that his teammates could do more.

Stone at the club I'm sure we'll see an improvement in this area, but we're barking up the wrong tree if we think Hill is a natural ball winner.

Right, so we are effectively a player down for 3.5 quarters because Hill can't break a tag? When the commentators said that I almost laughed myself out of my luxurious chair.

How about he puts his head over the ball when it's on the ground in front of him. How about he demands his team mates block for him. He's as quiet as a mouse on the field. He basically needs confidence, and the thing is, I don't know if someone like him can ever get there.

Someone like Ablet has extreme confidence because his genetics and upbringing ensured it. So when his first years weren't that good (he still had extreme talent) he put in the dedication to get fitter and stronger and look what happened. Hill has to make it all himself and I can't see someone like him ever doing it unless they have some life changing event happen to them. Someone like Fyfe just naturally is confident, and look how a tag doesn't really affect him.

Between Hill, Mayne, DeBoer, Ibbo and Johnson in the SAME starting 22 I think we must have the most nervous nellies going around in the league.

Memories, I thought you were more intelligent than this. I am disappointed.

If a man has no impact on the game because he is trying to shut Hill out of the game, that's a break even. If Hill then wins the remaing 45 minutes of the game, which he has done so far this season, that's a win.

Not everyones father is Gary Ablett. Not everyone is Gary Ablett Junior. We all grow into our skin at different rates. Sort of similair as to the manly blossoming of your posting style Mems.

The kid is in his 4th year, he's won matches off his own boot already, and despite heavy tags, he's now breaking out late in games and having a match winning impact. I'm not sure on everyones individual expectations, but that is pretty much what we want from Hilly to the nth.

I don't doubt that at some point Hill will put it all together, he's done it before for us. I've been one of the biggest critics of Hill on this board, if not the biggest, but it's pretty clear to even me that he's headed in the right direction, at a reasonable rate.

Not everyone is blessed with the same natural manly confidence as you Mems, it takes time for the rest of us mortals. He wasn't blessed with all the qualities of an elite player, otherwise he'd have gone higher in the draft. He's had work to do, and still does, just like every other young fellow in the draft.

It's all under control mate, relax.

Alot of it comes down to leadership.

Pav isn't really bothered, and never has been, with doing all those little footballer 1 %ers that the champions of the game do. I'm not saying he's lazy, or doesn't care, but those ugly, scragger, get it ****ing done, pure leadership plays, have never been part of who Pav is as a player or leader.

He's fallen into the captaincy because he's our best player, not because he's our best leader.

Surely you can't expect the team to exhibit teamplay traits that the captain himself doesn't display?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Pav is an excellent captain (even though he's not so strong defensively). He speaks well, stands up when it counts, etc. Even does superduper huddle-speeches.

BUT

He is more of a general. In that people look up to him, he's got a pristine image and he's basically just too decent by half. Which is probably why he can gee footy players up without swearing once.

The thing is that when you get down into the trenches you need lieutenants that are shaded from the glare of media, etc. by their general. And in that shadow they get the dirty jobs done ruthlessly. Sort out a tagger, pay back after a hit, etc. Josh Carr, the judas, was excellent at this. I believe that until this year, our lieutenants have been far too nice as well.

Out on the field it's painful to watch how little protection our players give each other. No doubt Hill suffers from that, and yet the champ is 4th in contested possessions this year, 4th in centre clearances, 1st for running bounces, and 3rd for inside 50's. Looks to me like he's tracking okay, with room for improvement. Definitely nothing that warrents some of these outrageous comments.

Pavlich's game against Brisbane was just as ordinary as Hill's, you have games that are ugly, especially when the opposition play so defensive.
When Lower comes back in, he will do the 1% and block, shepard for Hill.
With Lower, Silvagni, Neale waiting in the wings, Ross has plenty to work with, unlike last year.

This right here.

Pavlich's game against Brisbane was just as ordinary as Hill's, you have games that are ugly, especially when the opposition play so defensive.
When Lower comes back in, he will do the 1% and block, shepard for Hill.
With Lower, Silvagni, Neale waiting in the wings, Ross has plenty to work with, unlike last year.
Actually at the game, it seemed like Brisbane had a floating defender. More often than not, when a contest arose, it was Pavlich against two Lions players.

Our forward line has been nigh on non-existant. I can understand the reason for it in Sydney: That ground always makes for scrappy, school-yard, ball following play. But the match against the Lions showed no real shape. If Kepler wasn't on the ground, we had nobody up there. It was Pav against the remaining Lions defenders. Those contests will only turn out one way when it's a forward vs. numerous defenders – regardless of how good the forward is.

If a man has no impact on the game because he is trying to shut Hill out of the game, that's a break even.

the problem is, Hill's man is not having "no impact" and even he was, Hill is supposed to be one of our A-graders. Not a player who can be shutdown by a C grade player simply by running with Hill.

Hill needs to hit contests with speed and put his head over the ball. He does neither.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back