List Mgmt. Steven Motlop nominates Port Adelaide, Geelong declines to match, COMPO IS PICK 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody happy to hear that, I won't be cynical and assume it's just empty words. I'll take him at his word.
Give him a contract, we're better off with Steven Motlop in the team, we just need to get him confident in himself like he was on Saturday.

Footy Classified is the only Footy Show worth watching I swear.

Although I'd love Mots to stay (not just off the back of last week), Lloydy was on the money, a pay cut would probably be in order. Question is how much? $400k per annum?
Cut his base and chock it full of incentives and watch him purr

One of the journo types on MMM (not sure which one) preety much said he was 100% leaving.
They usually don't get it wrong when they're that sure

As soon as I saw that there was a possibility of going to Port I thought he's gone. Then I heard the cooky interview and i thought he's definitely going. But he's not been a $600k player for the bulk of this contract period. Will he pull it out now I'm not so sure. Any way sad to see him go as I he can do the unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive given him both boots this year - and he's earned that.

In fairness, he's due his credit too. He played a blinder this week. And he deserves all the accolades for that.

Well done Motter.

I would be all for him getting another deal with us - as what we saw on the weekend makes us a better team. And I as a supporter want that.

The condition IMO is that he needs to lift his bad games. If he's been hurt - then dont play till you are good.

When you play - play like that.

Playing like that will get you another deal - but you need to do it consistently to get more $$.

Go Catters

ive given him both boots this year - and he's earned that.

In fairness, he's due his credit too. He played a blinder this week. And he deserves all the accolades for that.

Well done Motter.

I would be all for him getting another deal with us - as what we saw on the weekend makes us a better team. And I as a supporter want that.

The condition IMO is that he needs to lift his bad games. If he's been hurt - then dont play till you are good.

When you play - play like that.

Playing like that will get you another deal - but you need to do it consistently to get more $$.

Go Catters

he has been very well paid for a long time.. and he tends to dangle these carrot type performances now and then to see if we the donkeys continue get attracted. For him to be here next year on the type of money he is used to , he would need to play like this game in the finals . At his age..what he giving now is probably all we are ever going to see... I hope he does play well but im not holding my breath.

I have not read much of this thread so apologise if someone already said what I'm about to!

The play is, Mots is on too much coin for what he has given us in output. We know it and so do all the other clubs. He's a restricted free agent, (I think) so if another club offers the same or better dollars he will go and cats get good compo.

If another team offers less dollars, cats have the option of matching those dollars, and we keep him on less money than he's on now, which probably brings his contract back into line for a player who has had average impact this year. Either way the cats win.

Just my thoughts on it, could be way off track.

PS: I thought he was huge for us on the weekend!

I have not read much of this thread so apologise if someone already said what I'm about to!

The play is, Mots is on too much coin for what he has given us in output. We know it and so do all the other clubs. He's a restricted free agent, (I think) so if another club offers the same or better dollars he will go and cats get good compo.

If another team offers less dollars, cats have the option of matching those dollars, and we keep him on less money than he's on now, which probably brings his contract back into line for a player who has had average impact this year. Either way the cats win.

Just my thoughts on it, could be way off track.

PS: I thought he was huge for us on the weekend!

Agree with this, the AFLs compensation paradigm is fairly murky though. I wouldn't trust the compensation to be anything more then a R2 around 25-40, but I maybe wrong. Is Mots worth more? I think I'd rather keep him.

Agree with this, the AFLs compensation paradigm is fairly murky though. I wouldn't trust the compensation to be anything more then a R2 around 25-40, but I maybe wrong. Is Mots worth more? I think I'd rather keep him.

Is Mots worth more than pick 25-40?? Good question. Based on what we have see this year I'd say pick 25 if a bit light on for us. Compared to what we got for Bundy, which netted us pick 17 I'd want a bit more for Mots. However, a fully fit and firing Motlop would get you a pick around 10 I reckon. The problem is we don't get that with him too often.

So based on those assumptions, I'd also like to keep him. I did see at the end of the game on the weekend when interviewed, he said he was happy as he got more midfield minutes which is what he wants. So maybe a push into the middle will ignite him for us!

Saturday was such a tease of a performance.

That typical "I've got no left foot but watch me kick this checkside on my right better than any natural left footer ever could have" goal in the final term was just the cherry on top.

I think he's gone but I'd love to see him stay.

Doesn't the compensation correlate with the earnings the player in question will get at the new club and said earnings ranking within the new clubs payments? As such Motlop ain't worth much, Christensen was possibly in the top 5-10 highest paid players at Brisbane and that's why the deal seemed ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oddly, I just had a look on instagram and I swear I was following him - but he doesn't seem to be on there. I do wonder if he's felt the pressure a little bit more than usual these last 6 months.

But damn it was good to see him turn it on over the weekend. That bump on Houli was magnificent. I hope he stays.

EDIT: nah, he's just blocked me. Weird :(

Last edited:
Oddly, I just had a look on instagram and I swear I was following him - but he doesn't seem to be on there. I do wonder if he's felt the pressure a little bit more than usual these last 6 months.

But damn it was good to see him turn it on over the weekend. That bump on Houli was magnificent. I hope he stays.
He's still there, smotlop.

Clark deleted his Twitter last year after things became clear but it's pretty rare for players to delete their presences - for eg. in Mots' case he uses it to advertise his restaurant pretty often, so wouldn't want to give that up.

Footy Classified is the only Footy Show worth watching I swear.

Although I'd love Mots to stay (not just off the back of last week), Lloydy was on the money, a pay cut would probably be in order. Question is how much? $400k per annum?

Yep, loved Caro giving the arrow to Hardwick for whinging about the home ground advantage/noisy crowd. Who would have thought - a crowd that cheered for their own team? And it's unfair for Richmond that the Cats get seven games at home this year, while the Tiges have eleven games at the MCG and four at Etihad.

He's still there, smotlop.

Clark deleted his Twitter last year after things became clear but it's pretty rare for players to delete their presences - for eg. in Mots' case he uses it to advertise his restaurant pretty often, so wouldn't want to give that up.

Weird, it wasn't showing up for me at all!

Hrm! Maybe he's blocked me? :p

EDIT: Oh shi....seems he has. Weird. I don't usually post comments on people I don't know and wouldn't post anything negative even if that were the case.

Doesn't the compensation correlate with the earnings the player in question will get at the new club and said earnings ranking within the new clubs payments? As such Motlop ain't worth much, Christensen was possibly in the top 5-10 highest paid players at Brisbane and that's why the deal seemed ok

I'm not sure on that one, wasn't Frawley compensation to Melbourne pick 3 (on a decent $ at Hawthorn, but not outstanding), versus Franklin who was offered $1m+ and the Hawks received something like pick 19? I think it's mainly discretionary by the AFL, maybe Pure_Ownage Turbocat or catempire can help us out there?

Christensen left under trade though not free agency, or am I wrong?

I'm not sure on that one, wasn't Frawley compensation to Melbourne pick 3 (on a decent $ at Hawthorn, but not outstanding), versus Franklin who was offered $1m+ and the Hawks received something like pick 19? I think it's mainly discretionary by the AFL, maybe Pure_Ownage Turbocat or catempire can help us out there?

It's due to 'bands' and ladder finishes - Frawley and Franklin were both assessed as 'band one' compensation given the contracts they were on at their new clubs, and the contracts they were on at their previous club.

However when Frawley left Melbourne they'd just finished 2nd last, so they received pick three as compensation immediately after their first round pick (#2). Hawthorn had won the flag when Franklin left so their pick 18 meant their compensation for losing him was pick 19.

It's due to 'bands' and ladder finishes - Frawley and Franklin were both assessed as 'band one' compensation given the contracts they were on at their new clubs, and the contracts they were on at their previous club.

However when Frawley left Melbourne they'd just finished 2nd last, so they received pick three as compensation immediately after their first round pick (#2). Hawthorn had won the flag when Franklin left so their pick 18 meant their compensation for losing him was pick 19.

Correct. Frawley was on a lower contract than franklin though so clearly it was the afl dodgying the compo to help them without the backlash of giving them a priority pick.

Weird, it wasn't showing up for me at all!

Hrm! Maybe he's blocked me? :p

EDIT: Oh shi....seems he has. Weird. I don't usually post comments on people I don't know and wouldn't post anything negative even if that were the case.
Yeah, that seems a bit silly. I wonder why or how it happened, but at least you can be secure in the knowledge that Mots at least opened your insta profile.

Is Mots worth more than pick 25-40?? Good question. Based on what we have see this year I'd say pick 25 if a bit light on for us. Compared to what we got for Bundy, which netted us pick 17 I'd want a bit more for Mots. However, a fully fit and firing Motlop would get you a pick around 10 I reckon. The problem is we don't get that with him too often.

So based on those assumptions, I'd also like to keep him. I did see at the end of the game on the weekend when interviewed, he said he was happy as he got more midfield minutes which is what he wants. So maybe a push into the middle will ignite him for us!
I think we got pick 21 for Bundy that we traded on for Stanley. I don't think enough has changed in a year that the Geelong administration would now keep him. Gifted player but far too inconsistent not to mention the silly turnovers that have gifted opposition sides goals this year. If they get something similar to pick 21 I expect they will move him on. I would be surprised yet over the moon for him and the club if he can replicate his Saturday performance multiple times for the rest of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Steven Motlop nominates Port Adelaide, Geelong declines to match, COMPO IS PICK 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Back