Stevens at Half-Forward ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt
OK hear me out before you shoot me down.

In the lead-up to the Crows game i looked at our half-forward line and just thought "how are we gonna win against the ultra-flooders with Wiggo, JR and a 5th-gamer in Mitch as our HF line ?"

We lack good half-forwards badly.

I like the Chief's effort levels, but i think if you're being realistic you just have to acknowledge that he's just not really up to it.

JR can play a defensive HF role reasonably well at times, but his panicked disposals halt many of our offensive movements, and he just has no confidence in his goalkicking. Overall, his productivity as an attacking forward is minimal.

Mitch is fantastic for a bloke who's played 5 or 6 games of AFL, but you can't expect him to carry our HF line. He needs to be the 3rd-best HF not the best.

When Kreuzer is at CHF he is fantastic for a 19-year-old, but again, we're not too dangerous if we're relying on him to play there full-time and carry the HF line.

We badly need a creative player across HF who has good vision, good disposal and the ability to snag a sausage or two. Stevo has all of this.

I'd also be happy to see Houla across HF, but he doesn't sound like he's knocking the door down in the VFL. Walks is a while off too. Yarran might develop into a gun across HF, but i don't think we can have both he and Mitch across HF at once if we're serious about winning games right now.

Thoughts ?

Not a bad idea. Last Saturday we needed him around the ball though, with the other midfielders struggling. Steven's has always been an extremely attacking goal-kicking midfielder, so it makes sense using his strengths. He is the most damaging kick into the forward 50 in the comp - brilliant on both sides, and regularly cuts through opposition defensive lines. Making him play between HF and wing makes sense. was also interested watching Yarran's efforts. This guy is superfast on the lead with a nice leap, and very clean overhead. His kicking skills are outstanding. Early days, but I can see Yarran playing a Mark Williams type role perhaps. Maybe our 2nd leading forward to take pressure off Fev. :)

It's a fair idea. But I can just see all the Stevens haters coming here and pointing out that all the opposition coach needs to do is put a Shaw/Hodge type on him, and they'll run off him with ease

Agree pretty much with your assessment, particularly regarding Robo, Jr, Wiggo and Houla and if the mc are going to keep Houla out of the side I would love to see Stevo off HF. Don't think Fev would complain too much about the delivery plus Stevo is a genuine goal kicking midfielder.

I like it :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I think that both Houlihan and Stevens are suited to the half-forward role, and you can't really split them in terms of skill level......my main concern is their lack of defensive pressure, as both allow their opponents to much space and time. JR can at least apply pressure, but it would be nice if he wasn't scared of the goal posts.

Stevo has an excellent for goal, especially when he is on the run from 50. But like has been said before he just needs to work on the defensive aspect of his game.

If Hoops and Stevo could improve the defensive side of their game, we would have a damaging HF line

OK hear me out before you shoot me down.
Definately reckon there is some merit in this. But I'm weary of having too many of his type of player running around at one time (Johnson, Houlihan, etc.)

For mine, Houlihan fills this role better - garners the utmost respect from other fowards (ie Fevola) due to his disposal, and for the uninitiated, this is a huge factor in forward-line chemistry. The more confident the forwards are, the more leads they make, etc. etc.

However, as you say Hoops is out of favour at the moment, for whatever reason, and this would allow Stevens to push up a bit more. His disposal is top-notch, on either side (when he's switched on) but I get the feeling he's a little selfish - obviously doesn't play this role too often so its anyones' guess. He isn't quite the small defender that say Scotland or Carazzo is, and perhaps this is a good argument to have him in a less accountable position.

For mine, I'd have Stevo and Scotland on the Back flanks, and Houlihan and Grigg across Half Forward. Personally, Stevens may not be in the 18 too much longer anyhow, due to age and team structure.

But the idea definately is plausible.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude but i was speaking to my Dad and he said something about Stevens hurting his neck. Is this true? If so is it serious or not? I hope its nothing too bad because if he has hurt it im guessing he would hang up his boots.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude but i was speaking to my Dad and he said something about Stevens hurting his neck. Is this true? If so is it serious or not? I hope its nothing too bad because if he has hurt it im guessing he would hang up his boots.

all fine

he has been quoted saying that sometimes he pulls up with a sore neck after the game, and sometimes he doesnt!

and there is no particular thing that sets it off!!

all fine

he has been quoted saying that sometimes he pulls up with a sore neck after the game, and sometimes he doesnt!

and there is no particular thing that sets it off!!
Thanks for that.
Pretty strange that he gets a sore neck at random times though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a fair idea. But I can just see all the Stevens haters coming here and pointing out that all the opposition coach needs to do is put a Shaw/Hodge type on him, and they'll run off him with ease

Like the idea of Stevens at HFF. No doubt the Stevens' haters will say a running player will be put on him, but with Stevens' kicking he could be dangerous, much like Stewie Dew. If he's able to kick a couple of goals a game and set a couple up, the players running off him will have to think twice before doing that which may mean they'll be less likely to run off him, or won't run off him all the time.

Think he'd be more effective on HFF than he is in the middle in the moment.

Having Stevens at HF isn't going to matter when Ratts orders every player behind the ball.

Take a look at saturday's game again. There was never a player beyond the centre corridor - we were compeltely inept going forward on the rebound. Every man was behind the ball. Even Fev was at HB for ****'s sake.

No idea what Ratten had in mind there.

He's our most dangerous player with the ball in his hands forward of centre. Give it to him on the run within 60 metres and along with Fev, is most likely to slot it. Not to mention his excellent delivery to the forwards.

He already rotates through there at times now but he's still very important to us around the ball. As our midfield develops however, we'll be better equipped to play him predominantly forward of centre.

I can just see all the Stevens haters coming here and pointing out that all the opposition coach needs to do is put a Shaw/Hodge type on him, and they'll run off him with ease

Gee, even the Stevens lovers would say the same... I hope yr all not expecting him to take marks as a forward.. He's crap overhead.. One of the worst in the league... Imagine him being forced into jumping into pack marks (ala Juddy last week)... Bwahahahaha.. It wont happen.. :thumbsdown:

Yes please - I've been calling for this from the beginning of the season.

For one reason or another, Stevens just isn't suited to playing behind the ball. He is nowhere near as good as he can be in that role and he is often a liability when he plays out of defense.

Play him on the half forward flank where he can use his long accurate kicking to our real advantage. Stevens having shots at goal on the run from around 50 out will benefit our team and add another dimension to our midfield goalkicking.

It's time to stop playing him down back and behind the ball because it just isn't working. Play him forward or drop him - I would not be against either. But I am against keeping him in his current role because he just doesn't add much to our team when he is in that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stevens at Half-Forward ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back