Roast Stop Gunstoning Curtin, morons

Remove this Banner Ad

In a draft class where he was taken 8th he is 27th for games played from the 2023 Draft.

Pick 62 and Pick 64 have played twice as many games as Curtin.

We are 14th. We have 7 best 22 players unavailable this week (injured or returning from injury).

He has played the last 8 SANFL games and was one of the best last week.

There is absolutely NO reason he should not be prioritized and in the best 22.

What an absolute simpleton Mathew Nicks is.

He doesn't trust an unknown quantity, that is Nicks downfall.

That is why during his time we now have Murphy at 100 games

He has in the past though. Thats whats so frustrating.

One of the positives of Nicks is that he got our young draftees into the side pretty quickly.

2020 - Nicks played McAsey the first 10 games. Schoenberg debuted rd 10 and played 8 consecutive games.
2021 - Berry played the first 5 games and 17 games in 2021. Rowe played the first 18 games and ended with 19 out of 22. Thilthorpe had his debut in week 6 and played 14 of the last 17 games.
2022 - Both Soligo and Rachele debuted RD 1 and played significant games.
2023 - Max debuts rd 1 and plays all season.

His first 4 years we had a rookie debutant in the first round. In 2024 we had to wait until round 13.

Its what makes the Curtin decision so baffling. I could understand if we were sitting top 6 right now and battling between top 4 and making the 8.

He has in the past though. Thats whats so frustrating.

One of the positives of Nicks is that he got our young draftees into the side pretty quickly.

2020 - Nicks played McAsey the first 10 games. Schoenberg debuted rd 10 and played 8 consecutive games.
2021 - Berry played the first 5 games and 17 games in 2021. Rowe played the first 18 games and ended with 19 out of 22. Thilthorpe had his debut in week 6 and played 14 of the last 17 games.
2022 - Both Soligo and Rachele debuted RD 1 and played significant games.
2023 - Max debuts rd 1 and plays all season.

His first 4 years we had a rookie debutant in the first round. In 2024 we had to wait until round 13.

Its what makes the Curtin decision so baffling. I could understand if we were sitting top 6 right now and battling between top 4 and making the 8.
Did they all get an opportunity due to injury?
Is it that he doesn’t like playing seniors for periods in the 2’s, the kids that have come in this year have come in due to injury and then kept their spots.
What seniors are playing in the 2’s that aren’t coming back from an injury?

Last edited:
Did they all get an opportunity due to injury?

I dont think so. It would be an almighty coincidence that Nicks gave 6 newly drafted players their debut in RD 1 in his first 4 years.

It’s that he doesn’t like playing seniors for periods in the 2’s the kids that have come in have come in due to injury and then kept their spots.
What seniors are playing in the 2’s that aren’t coming back from an injury?

I don't understand this part.

I dont think so. It would be an almighty coincidence that Nicks gave 6 newly drafted players their debut in RD 1 in his first 4 years.

I don't understand this part.
Which seniors have spent a long period in the 2’s?
From memory the young lads that have come in late this year have done so due to injuries, but have played well and kept their spots.

I felt there was a change after the Hawthorn loss. Since then we have brought in Dowling, Taylor, Bond and kept them in.

Makes it all the more surprising that Curtin has again been left out.
When the young players came in to the team, was that forced by SANFL form and selection pressure or injuries?

Whatever happens over the remaining few games, you want Curtin to finish the season feeling positive about his season and about his long-term future here.

Maybe he does...? Maybe he's content playing SANFL at this stage but if he's an ambitious, driven character I suspect not.

Whatever happens over the remaining few games, you want Curtin to finish the season feeling positive about his season and about his long-term future here.

Maybe he does...? Maybe he's content playing SANFL at this stage but if he's an ambitious, driven character I suspect not.
It all falls down to communication and whether he has bought in.

One of the hard sells by the club to it's young players is the selection policy's that perhaps haven't been favourable to rookies even with mediocre players out of form and us losing. Murphy's constant selection would be a red flag.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which seniors have spent a long period in the 2’s?
From memory the young lads that have come in late this year have done so due to injuries, but have played well and kept their spots.

I agree with the kids this year.

I think that in years 2020 - 2023 Nicks was great about getting our new highly rated draft picks games.

This year I think he got shit scared and wanted the most experienced side possible in a push for the finals.

After we lost to Hawthorn - I think internally the club knew our season was officially cooked and still supported Nicks so he opened up the team to bring in younger players.

I agree with the kids this year.

I think that in years 2020 - 2023 Nicks was great about getting our new highly rated draft picks games.

This year I think he got shit scared and wanted the most experienced side possible in a push for the finals.

After we lost to Hawthorn - I think internally the club knew our season was officially cooked and still supported Nicks so he opened up the team to bring in younger players.
Furphy. He's been dragged kicking and screaming to play kids.

Worrell only played at long last once Doedee was injured.
Berry missed an entire season of development because he preferred Sloane, Crouch and Laird.
Nankervis was only given opportunity when injury struck.
Same for Dowling this season.
Fogarty was played at full back in the twos at one point.

Berry missed an entire season of development because he preferred Sloane, Crouch and Laird.

I remember a while back looking at the number of SANFL games played by experienced players under Nicks and the number was very very low.

He's played a lot of kids round 1 because list management in the off season got rid of enough players that Nicks had no choice but to fill some roles with inexperienced players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a draft class where he was taken 8th he is 27th for games played from the 2023 Draft.

Pick 62 and Pick 64 have played twice as many games as Curtin.

We are 14th. We have 7 best 22 players unavailable this week (injured or returning from injury).

He has played the last 8 SANFL games and was one of the best last week.

There is absolutely NO reason he should not be prioritized and in the best 22.

What an absolute simpleton Mathew Nicks is.
Well, how do you think McHenry and Murphy got so many games. It took him a while to finally figure out McHenry, he didn't pick him after BOG a few weeks ago at the SANFL level but somehow is now back in the frame for a recall so somehow I don't think he will be delisted end of this year.

Well not really. From 2020-2023 ,ost of our new highest rated draftees under Nicks got games early. Thats undeniable - McAsey, Berry, Rowe, TT, Soligo, Rachele and Max were all played early and often.

Don't disagree with most of these points. Look I am not defending Nicks - I think he is a rubbish coach. But the fact remains he was good about getting our high end draftees games early on.

Well, how do you think McHenry and Murphy got so many games. It took him a while to finally figure out McHenry, he didn't pick him after BOG a few weeks ago at the SANFL level but somehow is now back in the frame for a recall so somehow I don't think he will be delisted end of this year.

I do not understand what you are trying to say.

I remember a while back looking at the number of SANFL games played by experienced players under Nicks and the number was very very low.

He's played a lot of kids round 1 because list management in the off season got rid of enough players that Nicks had no choice but to fill some roles with inexperienced players
He has consistently played as experienced side as he possibly could. He's hurt our rebuild.

You’ve turned on him now?
What do you mean now? I've always said Nicks will get sacked due to his stubbornness if he doesn't change the obvious mistake, he isn't a "simpleton", he is a stubborn coach who can coach but has set his mind on the playing group who will take him to Finals.

Firstly Nicks needs to concede that will wont make the eight. Get over it. Now is the time to play the likes of Curtin especially if we are going to be able to retain him. I mean he is a No 7 draft selection. There has to be reasons why we went out of our way to select him. Who else in last years draft selected in the top ten haven't been persevered with. We dont have too many potential elite players in our squad yet we dont seem interested in developing the one we do have. Maybe selected as a key defender but why not trial him in the centre. Lets face it we need talent in the centre. We're all talking about drafting or trading for an elite mid yet we ignore Curtin.

If the worry is about Nicks win/loss result its a bit late now. We need to start playing with our eye on next year.

He has consistently played as experienced side as he possibly could. He's hurt our rebuild.
I can understand him being careful at the beginning of the year, he wanted to show the rebuild was at the next stage, we were to be consistently in the 8 and making finals. There should be a bit more tinkering with the side but given the expectation, I could understand the need to put together the nucleus of the side as a constant.

But, what we have embraced this year is the mathematical chance and that is really hurting the rebuild. He has another two years, if the club went early with the signing of Nicks, just double down and learn but one of those lessons is to see what the less experienced players can do.

In some way, mainly due to injuries we have been forced to do this but we have not actively sought to do so, which is frustrating. This isn't all on Nicks, this is on the people running the club, we should have read the situation, refocussed the plan on what would benefit the club for 2025 and attack with that plan in mind.

We, as a club, are so focused on making finals we appear not to have a clear plan to win a flag.

If he was content with this you'd be worried.

There are no top 10 draft picks who are happy to do apprenticeships for bottom five teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Stop Gunstoning Curtin, morons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back