Stop the Reverse Draft Idea

Remove this Banner Ad

What are some alternatives?
They're talking about the way the draft itself is conducted, not the way in which the selections are allocated to the clubs.

In 2009 the AFL in their "wisdom" (read monumental stupidity) decided to do the top-10 behind closed doors, then read them out from 10..1 before picking up with #11 and moving onwards from there.

It was one of the dumbest, most pointless ideas that Dimwit and post-it-note-lawyer have ever come up with - and they've had some doozies over the years.

The whole thing was terrible to watch last year, even after the reverse top 10 they started interviews with players and parents and just posted the rest of the selections on a screen pop up.

We want to see the team management sitting there selecting our future players, not sit there and watch Sam Days parents telling us his life storey!!!!

Last week I was invited to a draft party and I tell you all we did was sit there and bag out the AFL for a sh!t job!!!!!!!!

The whole thing was terrible to watch last year, even after the reverse top 10 they started interviews with players and parents and just posted the rest of the selections on a screen pop up.

We want to see the team management sitting there selecting our future players, not sit there and watch Sam Days parents telling us his life storey!!!!

Last week I was invited to a draft party and I tell you all we did was sit there and bag out the AFL for a sh!t job!!!!!!!!
Be worth bumping the thread about that sh!t job... I know I wrote to Fox about it, and many others did too. Hopefully they'll take on the feedback.

!!!!

To be fair to the AFL, I suspect Fox had a great deal to do with the way the show was compiled, including the reverse count idea. It would certainly have been their call that it was better to have a magazine type programme with the picks flashing across the bottom than just televising the picking process. Maybe this style does appeal to more people than the diehards who just want to watch the draft. Would be nice for them to have a viewers choice for those who just want to watch the straight draft though.

Takes all the drama out of the #1 position.

AD with the massive pause at the #1 draft pick...... hmm I wonder if it's Scully or if he'll go outside the top 10?

Stick to copying the yanks and do a normal draft.

As for our television coverage, please watch the NBA draft! No random interviews on unrelated topics because the guys covering it don't know their draftees.

The AFL is moving more towards the way the American sports do things, which isn't a bad thing in most ways, as they do it very well. But what made the AFL think this would work is really beyond belief.

Really hope they just keep it normal, the way it's ment to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Madness if they do decide to do it again. especially since we already know who the Gold Coast are picking with their first three.

Yeah it was a shocker, hopefully a one off. I heard Anderson on SEN saying how much better it was going to make it. Oh yeah.

Just as bad as Fox's coverage. After the first round they only had the names flashing down the bottom so you had Alistair Lynch and Liam Pickering talking crap and Shifter Sheahan pretending to listen but really just looking at the draft selections at the bottom of the screen. Then a couple of days later on SEN Pickering was defending the production, eg. when one person called in criticising it he started giving it back to the caller, saying, "What, would you have liked us to just go through all the picks? Too boring don't you think?" NO, I want to know who got picked in order! It is the draft.

Yeah it was a shocker, hopefully a one off. I heard Anderson on SEN saying how much better it was going to make it. Oh yeah.

Just as bad as Fox's coverage. After the first round they only had the names flashing down the bottom so you had Alistair Lynch and Liam Pickering talking crap and Shifter Sheahan pretending to listen but really just looking at the draft selections at the bottom of the screen. Then a couple of days later on SEN Pickering was defending the production, eg. when one person called in criticising it he started giving it back to the caller, saying, "What, would you have liked us to just go through all the picks? Too boring don't you think?" NO, I want to know who got picked in order! It is the draft.

haha, exactly right mate. we dont want to hear them crap on about a certain player till after the draft. we want to see and hear who comes out when. After it has finished they can go back and talk shit then if the want

Reverse draft order is poo.

Also agree that the Fox coverage was rubbish. They should just stick to the draft and the selections live as they are read out and allow Shifter to say a quick thing or two about the selected player like it used to be done on bigpond.

At the end of it, Pickers, Chief and co can talk the rest.

Last year's telecast was one of the worst things I've ever watched on television. If it looks even remotely similar this year, it'll be tv off, radio (SEN) on. Problem solved.

Remember watching the coverage last year and while the top 10 reverse order gimmick was poor, it wasnt that which annoyed me. The top 10 was pretty much settled, me and a few mates were spot on with top 10 predictions, only a few of us had Scully at 2 and Trengove at 1.

Like others have said, it was the fact they cut pretty much left the rest of the draft to talk crap, rather than continue to show the rest of the picks. We were left to squint at the bottom of the screen to see who was being picked and they would only refer to what was happening if an ex-AFL player got picked up. I already know about Maguire and Jesse Smith's injury problems, I want to know a quick fact or two about Luke Tapscott and then see who gets chosen next. It killed the next 50-60 selections aftee the top 10.

Like others have said, it was the fact they cut pretty much left the rest of the draft to talk crap, rather than continue to show the rest of the picks. We were left to squint at the bottom of the screen to see who was being picked and they would only refer to what was happening if an ex-AFL player got picked up. I already know about Maguire and Jesse Smith's injury problems, I want to know a quick fact or two about Luke Tapscott and then see who gets chosen next. It killed the next 50-60 selections aftee the top 10.

Not to mention they missed the best moment of the draft when Barry Prendergast trolled everyone.

Pick 18, Luke *long pause* Tapscott.

:D

Like others have said, it was the fact they cut pretty much left the rest of the draft to talk crap, rather than continue to show the rest of the picks.
Couldn't believe it either and it was (ironically) the least interesting discussion they had for most of the coverage. Between the AFL and Fox it was a complete anti climax.

Hoping the AFL keep it simple and let the draft be what it is this year (normal order) and whoever covers it actually focus on the draft instead of talkin crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop the Reverse Draft Idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back