Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Cantebuty cheated 1.1 M over 2 years

Melbourne cheated 1.7 over 5

Cantebury got their current points taken off them (the year they were caught), taking a likely contender down the bottom.

Melbourne got their current points taken off them (the year they were caught), taking a likely contender down the bottom + not allowing them to accrue any future points (ruining every remaining match for fans, finances, pride, etc) + stripped them of 2 premierships and three minor premierships!!

Doesn't seem right!
Canterbury didnt win anything in the time they were cheating. Melbourne did. Thats the only difference.

Correct me if im wrong but atm its 1.7 mill over 5 years howver they expect it to be 5.5 over 5 years do they not? They can account for 1.7 mill but once they dig further they are expecting to find millions more. Thats what im gathering anyway

You sit there in your white tower fondly reminiscing your three premierships gained from a ridiculous advantage the AFL gave you, while sinking the boot into a club that arguably could have been awarded that same advantage, yet cheated just to match it, and you mention glass houses.

Yeah the Storm are dirty cheats but it certainly highlights the joke the AFL made of the competition from 01-06.

Allow the salary cap to include player endorsements and I am sure Essendon had more wages then Brisbane. That's why the concessions were there, it was to level the comp not give advantage.

Remember Collingwood in 2002 had Buckley, Rocca & O'Bree in there side, the extra salary was to stop this from happening.

I'm surprised so many think it's harsh. No point having a salary cap unless you come down hard on those who breach it.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you.

I'd think we were extremely hard done by, except for the fact that 1. We blatantly cheated the system and 2. We portrayed ourselves in the media as being clean as whistles for a number of seasons.

I don't know where my future as a supporter of the club or the game lies from here. It's left a pretty nasty taste in my mouth thats for sure.

If we are going to finish stone motherless last this season, and none of the games we play mean anything, does that mean I can cancel my membership?

I'll be surprised if we still exist in 2011 to be honest.

Hit the nail on the head.
Been brilliant following the boys since their inception and it is a terrible day for supporters.

Heads will roll

Like wise :(

I wouldn't call myself a NRL fanatic but i'll watch it only for the Storm and have been to a few games. Well that's going to change now, won't bother going to a game again and see no point in watching the boys when they won't be rewarded for a win.

Brian Waldron and the other bastards involved in this, owe the Storm fans, State and NRL community an apology....hope the ****er ends up in jail.

Aside from ethics.

How exactly is that advantage any less than what the AFL awarded their expansion clubs (Brisbane and Sydney) with the excuse that it would cost more to retain players in non AFL states?

You cant really brush ethics aside here. It is the biggest systematic cheating of a competitions rules ever seen in Australian sport. Not sure how this can be in any way defended or brushed aside.

I feel sorry for the fans, but I wont for much longer if the 'man this is bullshit, how can they do this' continues. They can do it because Melbourne Storm have commited the biggest act of cheating seen in Australian sport.

As for the advantage that Brisbane got...id argue they got a clear advantage by having a larger salary cap, but Id also argue that the AFL introduced those rules which every club (except Collingwood) seemed to agree was fair play. Im not at all familiar with Melbournes list but you cant argue that cheating the salary cap, therefore being able to pay key players more money to keep them can be brushed aside. What is of interest is if the players knew they were getting a paper bag of cash or not. Its possible they may not have known, but it seems likely they would have. Even worse in my opinion.

You run two sets of books and commit fraud in the business world you go to jail and your business is up the shit. Not sure why it should be any different just because its a sporting club.

Three questions from a non-Rugby person:

Have the NRL subjected any other club to the scrutiny with which it has pursued Storm in 2008 and this year?

Does Victoria have any representation on the NRL Administration?

Can somebody tell me and other Victorians who are the main sponsors of NRL?
It's the Telstra Premiership

Canterbury in 02 got docked 37 points for blatently cheating. I have no idea re admin but they are owned by News so they have plenty of representation there.

Enjoy your time in prison Waldron

And given the level of corruption and fraud and the fact that it occurred over a prolonged period the NRL penalty is not excessive

All the respect I'd previousley had for this club has vanished and know doubt many other will feel the same s

According to this article, John Hartigan believes that Brian Waldron is the architect of this planned and deliberate breach. All clubs and businesses that he has been involved with should be thoroughly investigated.I don't think he will remain in his new position. If he is in fact the architect of this shocking act of keeping two sets of books, then hopefully he will spend time in prison. The same goes for any other people that are a major part of this.

If true I hope he pays his time, and get him away from the Melbourne Rebels, they've been signing way too many good players to not look suspicious already and I don't want the same thing to happen to them.

I hope the NRL check each and every team for salary cap rorting, because as a Melbourne Storm fan, I feel devistated that we may lose our club for the incompetence of one or two men.

I think some of the penalties are fair, such as the fining and the stripping of points, but making this year pointless is rediculous and to strip Melbourne of its history... WRONG, this is the death of the storm, I was going to their game on the 9th of May... I will still go if their still a club... Which is doubtful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brian Waldron and the other bastards involved in this, owe the Storm fans, State and NRL community an apology....hope the ****er ends up in jail.

Almost guaranteed criminal convictions out of all this.

Gallop said that at least a few clubs execs at all clubs have to sign statutory declarations at the end of the season regarding payments, operations etc, so that alone is criminal, let alone the other charges and laws that may have been broken.

Shattering for any storm fan this, and I like most AFL fans who attend the odd storm game, most probably wont attend another game this year.

A full clean out is probably going to be the best thing for the club, from board level down to the players involved.

You sit there in your white tower fondly reminiscing your three premierships gained from a ridiculous advantage the AFL gave you, while sinking the boot into a club that arguably could have been awarded that same advantage, yet cheated just to match it, and you mention glass houses.

Yeah the Storm are dirty cheats but it certainly highlights the joke the AFL made of the competition from 01-06.
Show me where I have been "sinking the boot" into the Storm.

Btw, I mention glass houses not because of the Storm, but another team you support. Have another go.

I assume there will be alot of pissed of irrate players down that way.

The new Melbourne Rugby Union team should step in and offer Storms stars nice big juicy contracts and steal them away from league.

In fact they could just sign all the Storm players and **** the NRL over right good and proper.

I am pretty sure the 'Rat' that organized the rorting at the storm left to run "The new Melbourne Rugby Union team ". The players would feel right at home going to Union :)

Btw they never found the Brisbane bronco's seconf set of books ;)

Cantebuty cheated 1.1 M over 2 years

Melbourne cheated 1.7 over 5

Cantebury got their current points taken off them (the year they were caught), taking a likely contender down the bottom.

Melbourne got their current points taken off them (the year they were caught), taking a likely contender down the bottom + not allowing them to accrue any future points (ruining every remaining match for fans, finances, pride, etc) + stripped them of 2 premierships and three minor premierships!!

Doesn't seem right!

Why?

The Canterbury thing was released near the end of the season iirc, meaning that any points accrued from then on made no difference. Bit different to it happening 5 or 6 games into the year, when Melbourne could still easily make the finals and win a premiership this year. Its attempting to match the penalty that the Bulldogs recieved, just a different way of going about it. They have also predicted Melbourne are over this year by $700k. Thats a ****ing lot of money. Why shouldnt Melbourne be punished for that for this season?

Paying back prize money...I think thats fair enough.

$500k fine. Same as the Bulldogs. You cant strip the Dogs of premierships they didnt win during the period the cheating was going on. It can be pretty easily argued that Melbourne won flags as a large part

The only contentious point to me is the taking away of the premierships in the history books, but my personal opinion is that its a good move.

Seems pretty equitable to me.

R.I.P Melbourne Storm.

I reckon.

HAHA bye bye league or maybe any form of rubgy to the people of Melbourne!

Probably, wouldn't suprise me.

It's going to be almost impossible to go to a game in 2010. There will be no care factor behind it. We can win on the scoreboard, but what does it matter? Gallop went on about playing for personal pride, and supporters going for pride. Hardly anybody will show up throughout the season. Sure, people may turn out next home game in a form of a FU to Gallop, but I seriously see crowds dying off after this.

Words honestly can't express how shattering this is. Okay, so we rorted the cap which deserves punishment. But I don't know about taking premierships off a club. I can understand why, I just don't think it's the right action to take. (Probably a biased view considering I'm a Storm supporter) So, from what I gathered the players get to keep their premierships rings and individual awards. So players can look at their premiership rings, for the premiership they never won.
:eek:

Oh my. Biggest sports story in Australian history? Would be up there. I am in shock.

Is it too late for us to sign Billy Slater as a rookie? :D

Seriously though, this is shocking. All the other penalties I can understand, but rendering their 2010 pointless? Surely all their players will leave now as there's no point playing the season. And what about all those kids who'll cry having pointless games to go to. Sad.

exactly right stats. hopefully the nrl pulls its finger out and tries to find what the broncos are hiding. its just a shame that it took this shocking incident with the storm for this hopeful outcome. i have been a supporter from the time they entered the comp, but am disgustingly ashamed right now and will not attend another game this season. i do hope they can recover from this, for the players sakes at least, but more for the fans who gave so much over the last 13 years.

Some quotes from Gallop and others about today. Looking for some quotes regarding Melbourne accepting the punishment and Brian Waldon

David Gallop

"This morning the Storm representatives have come in and confessed to a well-organised system of paying players outside the cap. On what we know this amounted to $1.7 million in the last five years, including approximately $700,000 in 2010."

"The breakthrough in the investigation was the discovery by the salary cap auditor [Ian Schubert] and his team of a file in a separate room at the Storm to the room that contained the file with the players' contracts."

"The most damning indictment is the systematic attempt by persons within the club to conceal payments from the salary cap auditor and, it would now seem certain from the club's board and from its owners, on an ongoing basis"

Gallop also confirmed that the 2007 and 2009 premierships would not be awarded to the runner-up from that year. (Looking for the quote where Gallop said that)

NRL Statement

"The Storm maintained a dual contract system and the club has today confirmed that side letters promising extra payments were stored in a secret file at the home of the Chief Executive. The accounts were structured in such a way that it would appear the commitments were not apparent to either the Melbourne Storm Board or its owners."

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back