Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Will the ATO be investigating the Storm and their players?

2. Can the Storm players now sue the club for breach of contract for the payments outside the salary cap they won't be receiving this year and potentially future years?

This is a huge slur on Melbourne's proud sporting heritage.

To think I barracked for those cheats in last years GF.

Congratulations to the NRL on a tough uncompromising stance....

just a pity the AFL didn't show the same guts when dealing with the Carlton cheats, they should have been stripped of the 1995 flag.

Its a hard but more than fair whack.

Cheating is cheating and it is completely unacceptable in any sport.

And to those idiots who are saying It's only because its the Melbourne Storm, pull your heads out and look at what the club has done to win those flags.

I feel sorry for the fans of Parramatta and Manly after being robbed of those flags. I feel for 99% of the storm fans as well. They are a loyal bunch and don't deserve the shit that their team has done.

Wouldn't want to be Brian Waldron right now. This is one of the most disgusting acts by management.

It's a sad day for sport in this country.

Here's a joke. If Melbourne keep their players for the rest of the season they can choose who they are going to try and beat and who they are going to lay down for. I reckon they might have a small effect on the ladder as it is, beat some of the top teams. Get smashed by 100+ points to give teams lower down a win and some points for.

Yeah that's a farce. Well done NRL without the Storm I hope you die. :)

Surely this throws a huge cloud over the integrity of the Storm's top players. The way they described how this was happening, i.e. there was a separate file outlining payments outside the player contracts, the players must have known. If they'd signed a contract for $500k and then were paid 700k, they must have known something was up.

Amazing story.

I really couldn't give two hoots either way, but I'm shocked it came down to stripping Premierships.

It will make the AFL happy. ;)

Legal action pending by Storm i presume.
This is madness by rugby bosses.

What would happen if Essendon and Carlton and other teams that rorted the system had this done to them by the AFL????

Storm are not the FIRST to RORT the system but the FIRST to lose premierships ..crazy and a bias decision by the bosses of the league re premierships

They've accepted all the penalties imposed on us apparently... So no legal action that I can see. Unless individuals come out and feel they've been wrongly accused etc..

Show me where I have been "sinking the boot" into the Storm.

Btw, I mention glass houses not because of the Storm, but another team you support. Have another go.

Everybody North of the Murray are rubbing their hands with glee. Tell me you are not enjoying this carnage?

I was fully aware that you were referring to 93'. I have no idea why we would have needed to break the cap back then, the team was full of kids.

1. Will the ATO be investigating the Storm and their players?

2. Can the Storm players now sue the club for breach of contract for the payments outside the salary cap they won't be receiving this year and potentially future years?

Yes ATO can and most likely will investigate Storm and the players.

Don't think the Storm players can sue as their legal contract would have only involve legal payments within the salary cap, the other money wouldn't be mentioned. Even if they did the ATO would have a say in it and investigate those players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everybody North of the Murray are rubbing their hands with glee. Tell me you are not enjoying this carnage?

I was fully aware that you were referring to 93'. I have no idea why we would have needed to break the cap back then, the team was full of kids.

You have to be kidding right? I'm a passionate supporter of both NRL & AFL and this is horrible.

I'm a Parramatta supporter who could feel aggrieved by the fact we lost to the Storm last year. I don't want the premiership (nor are we getting it), and I wish this didn't happen.

Just when the code was starting to get some sort of continual positive press. After the hiding it took in the media last year with drunken incidents etc thanks to the momentum built at the end of 2009, 2010 was shaping up to be the best in a while.

So no, this is not a good day for any supporter. Not to mention now the eventual 2010 premiers will have a slight cloud of 'was Melbourne better than them?' hanging over.

Surely this throws a huge cloud over the integrity of the Storm's top players. The way they described how this was happening, i.e. there was a separate file outlining payments outside the player contracts, the players must have known. If they'd signed a contract for $500k and then were paid 700k, they must have known something was up.

interesting point.

if that's the case then i feel no less sorry for the players than the management.

Having said cheats never prosper, it was under the assumption it was a widespread issue within the club. If it is only 2-3 people who knew of this, then I take back what I said, and feel great sorrow for the supporters.

I'm well aware of that, but they would not have stripped them of their premierships.

It'd be funny if you were talking about it to someone overseas. "Who won the premiership last year?"
"No one"
"Haha, no seriously, who?"
"No one"

Normally a fan of your posts Sean but you've got this one wrong.

Mentioned it in another forum; this is effectively the end of the Melbourne Storm. They made a big mistake, but IMO, the NRL made a bigger one. Be interesting to see if this has an effect on the crowds for the ANZAC Day Test at the new stadium.

Yes ATO can and most likely will investigate Storm and the players.

Don't think the Storm players can sue as their legal contract would have only involve legal payments within the salary cap, the other money wouldn't be mentioned. Even if they did the ATO would have a say in it and investigate those players.
ASIC would be more interested than the ATO. This issue surrounds fraud and running dual books.

I'm not really a rugby fan, this is my first post on the RL Boad, this is just a huge Australian news story in general.

What an insanely massive price to pay - 2 Premierships, 3 minor premierships and this season they will get the wooden spoon. Plus they have to give a lot of money back. They have the "Bubble Stadium" opening soon. Nobody will rock up, who would? This just damages the brand of rugby in Victoria.

Mentioned it in another forum; this is effectively the end of the Melbourne Storm. They made a big mistake, but IMO, the NRL made a bigger one. Be interesting to see if this has an effect on the crowds for the ANZAC Day Test at the new stadium.

How is it the NRL's fault that the Storm cheated? Did they tell them to cheat? I am sorry but Brisbane have had to release players to be under the cap, and frankly Melbourne should have to as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back