Storm vs Cowboys at Aussie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sco said:
Why the hell isnt it in Melbourne???
the stupid finals system the NRL still use make it difficult to argue who deserves to host a semi final. Geelong finished 2nd in 97, lost, then had to play interstate. Ridiculous. The sooner the NRL move to the modified McIntyre system the better.

Everyone whinges about Victorian bias with the AFL-MCC contract. That's nothing compared to the preciousness of the NRL.

Storm to win in a canter.

pcpp said:
Because all finals from Week Two are locked in to Sydney.

It should be moved to melbourne but NQ won't agree.
they should use the davis cup rules, where you alternate each time you play, even if the last meeting was 30 years ago.

changing to current afl finals system seems a better idea

1v4
2v3
all get double chance

5v8
6v7
lose and your eliminated

after 1st week winning team get home ground advantage

losers of top 4 lose out a bit as they won't get a home final but gain with not being able to be eliminated in the 1st week

Latest PAX numbers from various people. Keep in mind though a portion of these tickets may have been purchased prior to anyone knowing exactly who was going to play in this game and therefore some may simply just not turn up come Saturday. Despite how many tickets have been sold I still reckon 15K or slightly under is more realistic. But you never know.

Newtown and St George Illawarra are playing the curtain raiser in the NSWRL VB Premier League. Each club has been given a few hundred complimentary tickets to the game to distribute among fans.

The following are all the finals that have ever been played in Sydney between two out of town teams.

The 1990 Canberra v Brisbane preliminary final drew 31628 to the SFS.

The 1993 minor semi final between the above two teams drew 33893 to the SFS.

The 1997 ARL Minor Qualifying final between Gold Coast and Illawarra drew 8197 to Parramatta Stadium.

The 1998 preliminary final between Brisbane and Melbourne drew 20354 to the SFS.

The 2003 semi final between the Warriors and Canberra drew 31616 to the SFS.

----

This will be a test to the NRL. I'd be doing handstands if they got above 15,000.

red+black said:
the stupid finals system the NRL still use make it difficult to argue who deserves to host a semi final. Geelong finished 2nd in 97, lost, then had to play interstate. Ridiculous. The sooner the NRL move to the modified McIntyre system the better.
The McIntyre system has worked well in the NRL and I see no reason to change it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

littleduck said:
The McIntyre system has worked well in the NRL and I see no reason to change it.

- finals need to be played in a certain order
- usually dud games for 1st and 2nd
- usually dead games for 3rd thru 6th
- 3rd and 4th can be eliminated in 1st week
- 5th and 6th can get the bye
- 5th and especially 6th should not be allowed to lose and not be eliminated (a la Carlton in 99)
- teams penalised during finals eg. wests beat 5th, yet now have to play 3rd

Hicham said:
Latest PAX numbers from various people. Keep in mind though a portion of these tickets may have been purchased prior to anyone knowing exactly who was going to play in this game and therefore some may simply just not turn up come Saturday. Despite how many tickets have been sold I still reckon 15K or slightly under is more realistic. But you never know.

15,000 - 12,500 = ???? :D

red+black said:
- 5th and especially 6th should not be allowed to lose and not be eliminated (a la Carlton in 99)

but under the modified system we wouldnt have been playing the 3rd placed side rather the 7th.

Ed_Gein said:
The game probably would of been sold out by now if it was being played in Melbourne. But i guess the NRL is quite content to have 2,500 tickets sold for a game in a venue that holds, what? 80k+ i'd imagine. But hey, at least you wont have to line up for beer.
It would have sold out in Townsville too. I can understand contracts but surely the NRL could have brokered a deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm vs Cowboys at Aussie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back