Strenglien appeal successful

Remove this Banner Ad

D-N-R said:
by contesting this charge wce are challenging the softness creeping into our game. this is a benefit for all clubs and the game as we know and love it if this is successful.
It is a benefit for all clubs IF they use it as a precedent. We know that the AFL don't follow precedents very often though, so it remains to be seen.

As it stands right now, some teams may have been disadvantaged by losing a potentially valuable player for a longer length of time while West Coast probably received fair justice. If you let it all absorb you there are so many variations to what might have happened in a given season, it will drive you mad. i.e The media claim that a Judd error cost the Eagles the flag last season.

The Old Dark Navy's said:
Thanks for your input. Let's not derail another thread though.

probably should have put a smilie at the end of my post. no intention to derail, i broadly agree with what you've said.

However I do think that generally the tribunal has been more consistent this year. Some of the charges have been way off the mark but by the time the tribunal heard the case these poor judgements have been rectified on most occassions. Its long winded and needs a bit of tweaking, but its starting to get results.

hotpie said:
However I do think that generally the tribunal has been more consistent this year. Some of the charges have been way off the mark but by the time the tribunal heard the case these poor judgements have been rectified on most occassions. Its long winded and needs a bit of tweaking, but its starting to get results.
One of the problems I have is trial by media thus causing a public outcry and creating expectations of an outcome. There are plenty of media folk out there pushing their own barrows and ensuring certain things do not go unnoticed (not a dig at Eddie, there are heaps of them).

If only the tribunal process was like jury selection. Pick people that have heard little about the incident, have no feelings either way about the defendant and you might get a fair verdict. Only problem is to not have heard about the incident, they would know jack all about football. ;)

Only problem is to not have heard about the incident, they would know jack all about football. ;)

I could insert another snide "Carlton" comment here, but I won't!!! :)

It is a benefit for all clubs IF they use it as a precedent. We know that the AFL don't follow precedents very often though, so it remains to be seen.

As it stands right now, some teams may have been disadvantaged by losing a potentially valuable player for a longer length of time while West Coast probably received fair justice. If you let it all absorb you there are so many variations to what might have happened in a given season, it will drive you mad. i.e The media claim that a Judd error cost the Eagles the flag last season.

if wc are successful then other teams are likely to use a similar defence. when gerhig was put up for his 'love tap' st kilda had his penalty reduced by downgrading the charge or something. wc used the same defence the next week for hunter who recieved the same reduction and with a cleaner record got off with a reprimand. so st kilda defending the charge set a precedent in how to defend that charge but not a precedent in what that type of charge is worth.

Regardless of the injury, it can be looked at in two ways. It was either a football incident or it wasn't. If it was a football incident, (as I think it was)then the penalty was too high, even one game. If it wasn't a football incident, the penalty was too low.

Aussie rules is getting faster and faster, meaning players have less time to make the split second decision. Stenglein's penalty is signalling the end of the bump. A sad day!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strenglien appeal successful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back