Strongest player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it does, never in my life have i heard anyone only refer to the weight on the bar as what they lift for max lift.

not sure how many gyms you've been to but heaps of blokes only count the weight they put on the bar, simply because it's easier to measure week by week what they're pushing. If you change gyms you don't always know what the bar weighs, but you do know reasonably if you put 65kg on the bar, you can work your way up for if it's too light.

I'm also not talking about a max lift, when someone says 'I can bench this weight' I assume it's what they can rep as part of their set.

my two older brothers have been body builders/weight lifters for the last 20 yrs, and WTF 2/4 reps?. go back to school mate, you have no idea what you're talking about.

8 is minimum, some do 10, fewer do 12, but even if you do do 12, 3 sets of 12, thats your press, thats when your talking to someone who knows what they're talking about anyway, heard of people doing 6 and upping the weight as a change up, but not many do and for those that do, as i said, its just for a change up/something different.

one of my brothers could probably single press 220 to 250kg, you'd never hear him say thats what he presses though, maybe single lifts are what footballers call there press weight, serious iron pumpers will tell you their rep/set weight.

Powerlifter's say hi!

Never heard of 8 , 6 , 6 , 4 ? or peaking cycle for comps where they will do 2 reps @ 95% max lift as part of their sets?

Also no one calls it a "press" due there being many types of press exercises ie Military press/overhead press, leg press , Bench press...

not sure how many gyms you've been to but heaps of blokes only count the weight they put on the bar, simply because it's easier to measure week by week what they're pushing. If you change gyms you don't always know what the bar weighs, but you do know reasonably if you put 65kg on the bar, you can work your way up for if it's too light.

I'm also not talking about a max lift, when someone says 'I can bench this weight' I assume it's what they can rep as part of their set.

Most people refer to their max 1RM, not i can do 3 sets of 100kg x 10 unless they are specifically asked what they can rep.

Also most gym's have a standard Olympic bar which is 20kg very rarely will you come across a gym using 25kg bars. You lift the bar weight so you include it in your total.

Bench bars are a standard 20kg almost everyone, sometimes you come across a 15kg one but they are quite obviously thinner.
Always include the bar weight in your lifting figure, it doesn't lift itself

Powerlifter's say hi!

Never heard of 8 , 6 , 6 , 4 ? or peaking cycle for comps where they will do 2 reps @ 95% max lift as part of their sets?

ive experimented with reverse training where you up the weight (to what you can do 6 reps of) and do 3, but, you have to do 10 sets (very time consuming, and it does piss off other people who want to use the same machine/equipment, you do feel pumped though)

remember, these arnt power lifters we're talking about either, they're footballers, i dont see any benefit in doing single max lifts for a footballer, unless its a dick measuring competition.

i have no probem with single max lift weights, i just wasnt sure what people mean when they say player x can bench x weight, to me its a bit dangerous to do such dick measuring competions, i certainly wouldnt do it, your talking about a shit load of weight and as i said, where's the benefit?

my two older brothers have been body builders/weight lifters for the last 20 yrs, and WTF 2/4 reps?. go back to school mate, you have no idea what you're talking about.

8 is minimum, some do 10, fewer do 12, but even if you do do 12, 3 sets of 12, thats your press, thats when your talking to someone who knows what they're talking about anyway, heard of people doing 6 and upping the weight as a change up, but not many do and for those that do, as i said, its just for a change up/something different.

one of my brothers could probably single press 220 to 250kg, you'd never hear him say thats what he presses though, maybe single lifts are what footballers call there press weight, serious iron pumpers will tell you their rep/set weight.

wow.... 20 years.. and they never delved into the 4-6 rep range? just by reading that i can instantly tell you they would be lacking in the thickness and density department alone.. anyone that knows the slightest about bodybuilding knows that rep ranges vary from exercises and different bodyparts... so if you know what your talking about id reassess what you actually think you know as opposed to what you dont know...

and as a former serious iron pumper i can tell you that weight pressed doesnt matter... its the physique you achieve, unless you plan on being a power lifter.

ive experimented with reverse training where you up the weight (to what you can do 6 reps of) and do 3, but, you have to do 10 sets (very time consuming, you do feel pumped though)

remember, these arnt power lifters we're talking about either, they're footballers, i dont see any benefit in doing single max lifts for a footballer, unless its a dick measuring competition.

i have no probem with single max lift weights, i just wasnt sure what people mean when they say player x can bench x weight, to me its a bit dangerous to do such dick measuring competions, i certainly wouldnt do it, your talking about a shit load of weight and as i said, where's the benefit?

It's a test of your true ultimate strength, no one would (should) be doing a 1rm alone always with a spotter and after you warm up so it's not dangerous.

I know they are footballers and they would have a tailored program for each individual, but when you do a PB it would be a 1rm.

Lifting such heavy weight shocks the muscle, doing a 1rm now and then is good for your strength development on top of that you can tailor your program off it like getting %'s needed for lifting cycles.

If you train the same way all the time you will hit a wall and will stop seeing gains, your body adapts so you need to mix things up to "shock" it.
This also includes changing your program sets/reps, switching from bar to dumbells ectect.

Also some of the very best world bodybuilders did powerlifting to get the mass before cutting with a bodybuilding program, they all have a different goal in the end.

Bodybuilding is all about sculpting, symmetry in muscles ect.

Powerlifting is about brute strength.

Footballers use a mix of weightlifting, powerlifting and bodybuilding techniques.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow.... 20 years.. and they never delved into the 4-6 rep range? just by reading that i can instantly tell you they would be lacking in the thickness and density department alone.. anyone that knows the slightest about bodybuilding knows that rep ranges vary from exercises and different bodyparts... so if you know what your talking about id reassess what you actually think you know as opposed to what you dont know...

and as a former serious iron pumper i can tell you that weight pressed doesnt matter... its the physique you achieve, unless you plan on being a power lifter.

well, you should change reps every month some say, everyone says different though, the stronger and bigger of my 2 brothers has never done less than 8, even then he says if he's feeling strong he'll do 10 (why do 8 when you can do 10 he says), he's more massive than ripped though, when i dabbled in it as i said id change up all the time, 10 set of 3, 3 sets of 8 ect ect, but i also did a shit load of cardio and didnt eat anywhere near the required calories to gain mass, i didnt want to get big, just wanted to bulk up a bit and get fit, pretty much like a footballer does.

also as im sure you're aware, what works for you may not work for someone else.

well, you should change reps every month some say, everyone says different though, the stronger and bigger of my 2 brothers has never done less than 8, even then he says if he's feeling strong he'll do 10 (why do 8 when you can do 10 he says), he's more massive than ripped though, when i dabbled in it as i said id change up all the time, 10 set of 3, 3 sets of 8 ect ect, but i also did a shit load of cardio and didnt eat anywhere near the required calories to gain mass, i didnt want to get big, just wanted to bulk up a bit and get fit, pretty much like a footballer does.

fair enough.. but as a rule, in BB routines, you should change your workouts every 6 weeks... it takes the body about 6 weeks to get used to a training cycle and after this period its a good idea to tweak your workout to get some muscular confusion and therefore growth happening...

in regards to loki, when i was training id would do an entire week of super heavy sets to shock my muscles too.. id do 4 sets of descending reps (4-1) of weight that was very heavy for me.. this used to shock the hell out of my central nervous system and would lead to some decent change in the appearance of my physique.. but having said that mt training partner would try it with me and not get alot out of except for incredible soreness which lead to him missing training days..

fair enough.. but as a rule, in BB routines, you should change your workouts every 6 weeks... it takes the body about 6 weeks to get used to a training cycle and after this period its a good idea to tweak your workout to get some muscular confusion and therefore growth happening...

in regards to loki, when i was training id would do an entire week of super heavy sets to shock my muscles too.. id do 4 sets of descending reps (4-1) of weight that was very heavy for me.. this used to shock the hell out of my central nervous system and would lead to some decent change in the appearance of my physique.. but having said that mt training partner would try it with me and not get alot out of except for incredible soreness which lead to him missing training days..

soreness is good though isnt it?, ive always thought soreness was a sign your muscles were shocked and growing, i read that somewhere anyway.

also as im sure you're aware, what works for you may not work for someone else.

this is very true.... that why the person training should keep a journal to evaluate what his/her training has achieved for them. but i can guarantee you heavy, low rep sets of compound exercises will increase muscle density and strength in almost every individual - form being the only factor that prevents the gains to be made.

soreness is good though isnt it?, ive always thought soreness was a sign your muscles were shocked and growing, i read that somewhere anyway.

not always.. i used to train legs so hard id struggle to walk flat footed for days at a time... soreness and pump dont always represent a good workout or growth. my back was probably my best bodypart and rarely, regardless of how how hard i trained, did it hurt.

Massive amount of confusion in the thread between bodybuilding and strength.

And then between strength and power.

The player who is the best 1-on-1 is not necessarily going to have the best 1RM bench who in turn might not be able to snatch very much.

AFL players often start out on hypertrophy programs (8-12 reps) before moving down to power ranges.

From a North perspective, Scott Thompson and Hamish McIntosh have the best bench, in the 130-140kg range by memory.

I would guess clubs like Adelaide and Collingwood would have players posting the best figures as they both appear meticulous in their planning and coaching, so their lifting technique is probably really well drilled.

Yeah everyone is different, my training partner also took longer to recover.

The player who is the best 1-on-1 is not necessarily going to have the best 1RM bench who in turn might not be able to snatch very much.

AFL players often start out on hypertrophy programs (8-12 reps) before moving down to power ranges.

From a North perspective, Scott Thompson and Hamish McIntosh have the best bench, in the 130-140kg range by memory.

I would guess clubs like Adelaide and Collingwood would have players posting the best figures as they both appear meticulous in their planning and coaching, so their lifting technique is probably really well drilled.

too hard to establish.... if players are of similar technique in the one on one stakes, both are in a similar position to jostle, the player with the higher strength base would always win... guys ike wayne carey, dunstall, locket and ablett and jakovich were all very strong men and had reasonable to very good technique.

Exactly. Extrem core strength through the hips is far more important than those who can bench the most.

Exactly. Extrem core strength through the hips is far more important than those who can bench the most.

what is extreme core strength? i have a hard time following this theory? so a guy with a strong midsection (thighs, abs etc) will be able to generate more power than an athlete who has strength balanced over the entirety of their physique?

unfortunately one on one dont always occur with legs planted in the ground..

what is extreme core strength? i have a hard time following this theory? so a guy with a strong midsection (thighs, abs etc) will be able to generate more power than an athlete who has strength balanced over the entirety of their physique?

unfortunately one on one dont always occur with legs planted in the ground..

As someone with experience in ground fighting (by no means extensive) I can tell you that the most important muscles in your body when not on your feet in terms of winning a contest are those in your core. You can utilise these in both a defensive (resisting force) and offensive (exerting force) context

too hard to establish.... if players are of similar technique in the one on one stakes, both are in a similar position to jostle, the player with the higher strength base would always win... guys ike wayne carey, dunstall, locket and ablett and jakovich were all very strong men and had reasonable to very good technique.

You're basically saying 'all things being equal' then the stronger player wins.

True but you don't ever really get this scenario.

You have to account for the role of the player, the delivery etc. Simply put football isn't powerlifting!

eg - Chris Tarrant playing fullback might be able to get a fist to a ball Jonathon Brown is trying to mark. However trying to take a clean mark is much harder than spoiling... but then JB's teammate has probably delivered it to his positioning advantage.

Discussing strength of players is interesting but doesn't mean that much.

From my own club, there is a pretty effective 1-on-1 player who posts appalling strength testing results and has barely improved these while at the club. I'm also aware of one of our players who banged out excellent figures (for any standard) in the weights room but had a reputation for being easily covered in contests.

Footy nous always wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strongest player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back