Such is Life- Ben Cousins doco

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'm trying to say is in his mind he got sacked because of a set up where at the point in time he hadn't been doing anything illegal. I agree with the decision, I'm just saying that's how he probably felt.

Being an Eagles fan I love the bloke, how could you not, I really do hope he over comes all this and that we can welcome him back at the club, he needs that kind of support around him

Me too, hopefully he can continue his progress he has made over the last year. Compelling viewing, looking forward to tomorrow.

Didnt realize it was as bad as it was when he got sacked. I thought he was clean during that time but apparently he was coming off a 3 day bender!

I think this completely vindicates the clubs decision to sack him as well as 100% rule out the chance to draft him again.

It was also a suprise to hear that the playing group were sick of him around that time too. When Woosha said Ben accused people of training hard to make him look bad it makes you wonder what sort of negative impact he was having.

Gives you a bit more respect for Selwood, Cox, Glass, Embley etc... who hung around to help rebuild the culture. They could of all done a Judd.

Re: Such is Life - Ben Cousins doco

he has still got a great sense of humour. And many people who hate the Eagles and Cousins will have an even greater hatred for him for being able to survive his addiction so far and be able to joke about it.

Im not surprised that his dad didnt know about it until it was too late. Ive done plenty of things that my parents still to this day have no idea of. Im not proud of it, but it doesnt take much to pull the wool over your parents eyes. Also not surprising that the club didnt have a clue until 2006. If he trains like a machine and is winning brownlow medals, youre gonna think there is no way the bloke can be on hard drugs. But i guess thats the other side of being OCD.

I also agree that even though the police arrest in northbridge smacks of a setup, Cousins was going to get sacked from the club sooner or later. So even though the coppers arrested him for payback, it ironically might have just saved his life.

Interesting viewing.

He still thinks he's a victim though
, that much is obvious.

Next week should be more about redemption etc

you reckon?

it's interesting with the interviews that some are clearly a long way before others.

i daresay around the time the doco started and the early interviews - you may well be right. the smirk is there.

however in others - he's very matter of fact and sincere. my guess are these are more recent interviews.

Do you guys think this Doco will have a positive or negative effect on all of the young kids that idolise him?

I mean, he was taking drugs throughout his career yet it didn't effect his training and he still became an absolute top line player. He almost made it sound like the thought of drugs on his break made him train harder and therefore become a better player. The main idea I got was that if you are discipline and have a good routine then drugs will not effect your career.

Hopefully young kids mainly notice the massive emotional effect that it had on him and many other people later on in his career though.

The doco does answer a lot of questions that us supporters were blind about. The negative effect he had on the playing group in 07 was a big shock to me. :eek:

Glued to the tv. Thats how good it was!
Im sure i wasnt the only one either!
Bring on the DVD!

I hope so. And with Additional features. There is no doubt seven being the channel it is would have cut out a fair bit of footage from the doco tonight. Hopefully to be seen in the un-cut DVD when it comes out.:thumbsu:

Do you guys think this Doco will have a positive or negative effect on all of the young kids that idolise him?

it's on at 8.30pm

i daresay it's aimed at parents and perhaps late teens - not young kids.

If a young kid was to watch it - you'd hope the parent would vet it first or at least discuss it with them.

Re: Such is Life - Ben Cousins doco

he has still got a great sense of humour. And many people who hate the Eagles and Cousins will have an even greater hatred for him for being able to survive his addiction so far and be able to joke about it.

Im not surprised that his dad didnt know about it until it was too late. Ive done plenty of things that my parents still to this day have no idea of. Im not proud of it, but it doesnt take much to pull the wool over your parents eyes. Also not surprising that the club didnt have a clue until 2006. If he trains like a machine and is winning brownlow medals, youre gonna think there is no way the bloke can be on hard drugs. But i guess thats the other side of being OCD.

I also agree that even though the police arrest in northbridge smacks of a setup, Cousins was going to get sacked from the club sooner or later. So even though the coppers arrested him for payback, it ironically might have just saved his life.

The Journos stated they where hearing things back in 2002. I am sure the club knew what was happening - they just probably didn't have an understanding of just how bad it was. It seemed to me that Ben had a lot of people looking after him back in the day that where keeping things pretty quiet.

I mean, he was taking drugs throughout his career yet it didn't effect his training and he still became an absolute top line player. He almost made it sound like the thought of drugs on his break made him train harder and therefore become a better player. The main idea I got was that if you are discipline and have a good routine then drugs will not effect your career.

Hopefully young kids mainly notice the massive emotional effect that it had on him and many other people later on in his career though.
dont think thats the message that is coming across at all. Why is it that you Dockers fan are trying to put this documentary in a bad light...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a question from an outsider. I know that this is based on his drug addiction.

However, when he was sacked from the eagles, when talking about it, other than the very start, He doesn't show any remorse. I know he has a different pisona than most, I just frustrated me a little, that he had so little respect for the club that gave him heaps.

Thats how it came across to me anyway. I am sure that is not the case in reality, however what were you as eagle supporters thoughts whilst watching this?

At the time i don't think he genuinely believed he was doing anything wrong - at one point he said that the trip to LA for rehab was something he had to do so he could play footy again rather than an admission he had a problem.

I think you'll get a better sense from tomorrow night's episode that he finally came to realise he was actually ****ing things up and football may be taken away from him forever.

There was a sense that you could take drugs and still perform and keep things in control and tbh for a long time it would appear that was the case. Despite taking drugs he was still a great player because of his dedication to training

As I said to the other post, tomorrows episode might expose some flaws in his approach.

dont think thats the message that is coming across at all. Why is it that you Dockers fan are trying to put this documentary in a bad light...
I thought it was great and I am not at all trying to do that. I just think that some young people that idolise him might see it the wrong way.

Just a question from an outsider. I know that this is based on his drug addiction.

However, when he was sacked from the eagles, when talking about it, other than the very start, He doesn't show any remorse. I know he has a different pisona than most, I just frustrated me a little, that he had so little respect for the club that gave him heaps.

Thats how it came across to me anyway. I am sure that is not the case in reality, however what were you as eagle supporters thoughts whilst watching this?

I see what your saying, i think when he left he was very bitter, towards the eagles because they kinda just sacked him without calling him in and telling beforehand. Even though it was probably the best decsion for the club and Ben. But yteah hopefully he gets over it because i would love to have Benny back at the club.

I thought it was great and I am not at all trying to do that. I just think that some young people that idolise him might see it the wrong way.

Well if they still idolise him now that he's a self confessed drug addict and a chronic **** up then they probably don't have enough positive role models in their life anyway and another crap one isn't going to change anything..

The main idea I got was that if you are discipline and have a good routine then drugs will not effect your career.

The message that came out of it for me was that eventually the drugs ended his career. You can only kid yourself and those around you for so long. It will get you in the end.

I thought Woosha made a very interesting comment. He said "it got to the point where Cuz was accusing other players of training harder to make him look bad". That sounds to me like the pit of paranoia and grasping at straws in an attempt to find some kind of justification for his behaviour.

One thing I'd like to know :

How did cuz know the drug testers were coming that day? Seeing as the club supposedly didn't know?

Yeah he got a tip off from someone.

How about the Excess snorting coke and drinking penfolds grange with chicks in lingere dancing in the background.So much money so little time.
He stated that he was clean when Mainy lost his battle with addiction he appeared truly remoursful.I watched this with my thirteen year old son and was a bit worried about the train your ass off then go and well and truly get wasted.All in all it is an eye opener and i hope he beats his inner demons.

It wasn't in the doco but i found this interesting. On the weekend Duffield and Langdon said that Cousins and other players who had drug problems told them that the method a lot of the AFL players use to avoid detection after using drugs is to drink bleach. Apparently they mix it with orange juice to help them keep it down and not throw up. Cousins has done it so much that it has completely ****ed the lining of his stomach and that was the reason behind his hospitalisation earlier in the season. How unbelievable is that? The bleach would be worse for you than the drugs. It's a known carcinogen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Such is Life- Ben Cousins doco

Remove this Banner Ad

Back